"they arrived at an awkward time"
lacking grace or skill in manner or movement or performance
"an awkward dancer"; "an awkward gesture"; "too awkward with a needle to make her own clothes"; "his clumsy fingers produced an awkward knot"
awkward, bunglesome, clumsy, ungainly(adj)
difficult to handle or manage especially because of shape
"an awkward bundle to carry"; "a load of bunglesome paraphernalia"; "clumsy wooden shoes"; "the cello, a rather ungainly instrument for a girl"
awkward, clumsy, cumbersome, inapt, inept, ill-chosen(adj)
not elegant or graceful in expression
"an awkward prose style"; "a clumsy apology"; "his cumbersome writing style"; "if the rumor is true, can anything be more inept than to repeat it now?"
awkward, embarrassing, sticky, unenviable(adj)
hard to deal with; especially causing pain or embarrassment
"awkward (or embarrassing or difficult) moments in the discussion"; "an awkward pause followed his remark"; "a sticky question"; "in the unenviable position of resorting to an act he had planned to save for the climax of the campaign"
awkward, ill at ease(p), uneasy(adj)
socially uncomfortable; unsure and constrained in manner
"awkward and reserved at parties"; "ill at ease among eddies of people he didn't know"; "was always uneasy with strangers"
In a backwards direction.
Lacking dexterity in the use of the hands, or of instruments
John was awkward at performing the trick. He'll have to practise to improve.
Not easily managed or effected; embarrassing
That was an extremely awkward moment. Everyone was watching.
Lacking social skills, or uncomfortable with social interaction
Perverse; adverse; difficult to handle
wanting dexterity in the use of the hands, or of instruments; not dexterous; without skill; clumsy; wanting ease, grace, or effectiveness in movement; ungraceful; as, he was awkward at a trick; an awkward boy
not easily managed or effected; embarrassing
perverse; adverse; untoward
Awkward is an album by Ty. It was released in 2001 on Ninja Tune records.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
awk′ward, adj. clumsy: ungraceful: embarrassed: difficult to deal with: (Shak.) unfavourable: (obs.) froward.—adj. Awk′wardish.—adv. Awk′wardly, clumsily, embarrassingly, dangerously.—n. Awk′wardness. [Prob. Ice. afug, turned wrong way, and suff. -ward, expressing direction.]
British National Corpus
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'awkward' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2554
Rank popularity for the word 'awkward' in Adjectives Frequency: #741
The numerical value of awkward in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of awkward in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
The Unexpected always comes at the most awkward times.
Using the 1.5-pound headset is about as awkward as sleeping on an airplane.
You know what never gets awkward? Talking about things other people did that got awkward.
Today was extremely positive, there was not one negative moment. There was no awkward moment.
Husbands are awkward things to deal with even keeping them in hot water will not make them tender.
Images & Illustrations of awkward
Translations for awkward
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- غير ملائمArabic
- неприятен, неудобен, несръчен, неловък, непохватенBulgarian
- maldestreCatalan, Valencian
- nešikovný, neobratný, nepříjemný, nepříjemnéCzech
- Umstände machend, unangenehm, verkorkst, betreten, peinlich, ungelenk, umständlich, unbeholfen, ungeschickt, beklemmend, verdreht, tölpelhaft, tollpatschigGerman
- senaplombiga, konsterna, maloportuna, mallertaEsperanto
- desmañado, torpe, delicado, embarazosoSpanish
- بی دست و پا - به شکلی نامناسبPersian
- kiusallinen, hankala, vaikea, piinallinen, yököttävä, kömpelö, vastenmielinen, tuskallinenFinnish
- inconvenant, embarrassant, maladroit, gênantFrench
- klunnalegur, pínlegur, vandræðalegurIcelandic
- maldestro, scomodo, delicato, poco opportuno, imbarazzato, impacciato, inopportuno, imbarazzante, difficile, poco maneggevole, goffoItalian
- ぎごちない, 不器用, 厄介なJapanese
- незгоден, терсенеMacedonian
- genant, ongemakkelijk, onhandigDutch
- pinlig, klønete, klumseteNorwegian
- nieprzyjemny, nieśmiały, niezręcznyPolish
- desconcertante, constrangedor, desajeitado, incómodo, bisonhoPortuguese
- неловкий, неуклюжий, затруднительный, неудобный, неловкоRussian
- genant, pinsam, besvärligSwedish
- kullanışsız, beceriksiz, sakar, uygunsuz, garipTurkish
- lúng túngVietnamese
Get even more translations for awkward »
Find a translation for the awkward definition in other languages:
Select another language: