someone who acts as assistant
auxiliary, subsidiary, supplemental, supplementary(adj)
functioning in a supporting capacity
"the main library and its auxiliary branches"
accessory, adjunct, ancillary, adjuvant, appurtenant, auxiliary(adj)
furnishing added support
"an ancillary pump"; "an adjuvant discipline to forms of mysticism"; "The mind and emotions are auxiliary to each other"
A person or group that acts in an auxiliary manner.
A sailing vessel equipped with an engine.
An auxiliary verb.
A marching band colorguard.
Helping; giving assistance or support.
Supplementary or subsidiary.
Held in reserve for exceptional circumstances.
Of a ship, having both sails and an engine.
Relating to an auxiliary verb.
Origin: From auxiliarius, equiv. to auxiliaris, from auxilium, from augere.
conferring aid or help; helping; aiding; assisting; subsidiary; as auxiliary troops
a helper; an assistant; a confederate in some action or enterprise
foreign troops in the service of a nation at war; (rarely in sing.), a member of the allied or subsidiary force
a verb which helps to form the voices, modes, and tenses of other verbs; -- called, also, an auxiliary verb; as, have, be, may, can, do, must, shall, and will, in English; etre and avoir, in French; avere and essere, in Italian; estar and haber, in Spanish
a quantity introduced for the purpose of simplifying or facilitating some operation, as in equations or trigonometrical formulae
Origin: [L. auxiliarius, fr. auxilium help, aid, fr. augere to increase.]
Military Dictionary and Gazetteer
Foreign or subsidiary troops which are furnished to a belligerent power in consequence of a treaty of alliance, or for pecuniary considerations. Of the latter description may be considered the Hessians that were employed by Great Britain to enslave America.
The numerical value of auxiliary in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of auxiliary in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Examples of auxiliary in a Sentence
Apple is going through a transition period right now, i still believe that Apple will remain to its core a product company and that The Services segment are still auxiliary.
It's implausible because I was an auxiliary bishop and I had no access to money or - no access to significant resources, it's implausible because, of course, the attempt to bribe someone is criminal.
It is, therefore, a fact of law and of practical necessity that individuals are responsible for their own safety, and that of their loved ones. Police protection must be recognized for what it is: only an auxiliary general deterrent.
Due to the prevailing security situation and as no system is set in place for handling dead bodies, the LRCS conduct these activities as an auxiliary to the authorities, their role is limited to the collection and transfer of dead bodies to the competent authorities.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for auxiliary
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- спомагателен, помощник, допълнителен, спомагателен глагол, помощен, резервенBulgarian
- auxiliarCatalan, Valencian
- subsidiär, unterstützend, helfend, Auxiliar, hilfs-, Hilfsverb, zurückhaltendGerman
- auxiliar, ayudanteSpanish
- abistav, täiendavEstonian
- avustaja, avustava, lisä-, apu, apumoottorillinen, apuverbiFinnish
- kiegészítő, kisegítő, tartalék, segédHungarian
- helpanto, helpivo, helpiva, helpanta, helpero, helpiloIdo
- ondersteunend, hulp-, hulpmotor, hulpwerkwoord, extra, bijkomend, reserve-, helpendDutch
- hjelpe-, hjelpeverbNorwegian
- pomocnicze, rezerwowe, posiłkowe, pomocniczy, pomocnicza, rezerwowy, rezerwowa, czasownik posiłkowy, posiłkowy, posiłkowaPolish
- auxiliar, verbo auxiliarPortuguese
- вспомогательный, помощник, вспомогательный глагол, дополнительный, запасной, ассистентRussian
- ùsputan, príčuvnī, pòmoćnī, ȕzgrēdan, spȍredanSerbo-Croatian
- yardımcı, yardmcı fiilTurkish
Get even more translations for auxiliary »
Find a translation for the auxiliary definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)