approximately, about, close to, just about, some, roughly, more or less, around, or so(adverb)
(of quantities) imprecise but fairly close to correct
"lasted approximately an hour"; "in just about a minute"; "he's about 30 years old"; "I've had about all I can stand"; "we meet about once a month"; "some forty people came"; "weighs around a hundred pounds"; "roughly $3,000"; "holds 3 gallons, more or less"; "20 or so people were at the party"
Imprecise but close to in quantity or amount.
with approximation; so as to approximate; nearly
Accurately near to the description, amount, quantity or degree based on data, design, evidence or fact.
The quantity surveyor said it would take approximately 2 tonne of cement but he would confirm with the exact amount in the legal document.Submitted by MC Harmonious on January 2, 2017
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'approximately' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3483
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'approximately' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3624
Rank popularity for the word 'approximately' in Adverbs Frequency: #252
The numerical value of approximately in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of approximately in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
Examples of approximately in a Sentence
Approximately 80% go undiagnosed.
There are approximately 500 of us.
Ebola tests take approximately four hours to complete.
Lowering those two meant an average cost savings of approximately $338.
The Isobel Deep well is expected to take approximately 15 days to complete.
Images & Illustrations of approximately
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for approximately
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- прыкла́дна, ама́ль, прыблі́знаBelarusian
- о́коло, приблизи́телно, почти́Bulgarian
- aproximadamentCatalan, Valencian
- zhruba, přibližněCzech
- omtrent, tilnærmelsesvisDanish
- etwa, ungefährGerman
- arviolta, palttiarallaa, suurinpiirtein, suunnilleen, noin, osapuilleenFinnish
- à peu près, approximativement, plus ou moinsFrench
- mu chuairt airScottish Gaelic
- durván, körülbelül, kb., megközelítőlegHungarian
- circa, approssimativamenteItalian
- 約, 大略, およそJapanese
- шамасында, шамалапKazakh
- ប្រមាណ, ប្រហែលKhmer
- 大略, 약, 대략Korean
- чамасында, чамалапKyrgyz
- приближно, околуMacedonian
- барагцаалбал, ойролцоогоорMongolian
- w przybliżeniuPolish
- гру́бо, приме́рно, почти́, приблизи́тельно, ориентиро́вочно, о́колоRussian
- približno, приближноSerbo-Croatian
- përafërsisht, afërsisht, afroAlbanian
- cirka, uppskattningsvis, ungefärSwedish
- прибли́зно, ма́йжеUkrainian
- لگ بھگUrdu
Get even more translations for approximately »
Find a translation for the approximately definition in other languages:
Select another language:
Discuss these approximately definitions with the community:
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"approximately." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2018. Web. 9 Dec. 2018. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/approximately>.