Definitions for appreciate
Here are all the possible meanings and translations of the word appreciate.
recognize with gratitude; be grateful for
appreciate, take accountverb
be fully aware of; realize fully
"Do you appreciate the full meaning of this letter?"
prize, value, treasure, appreciateverb
"I prize these old photographs"
appreciate, apprize, apprise, revalueverb
gain in value
"The yen appreciated again!"
appreciate, apprize, appriseverb
increase the value of
"The Germans want to appreciate the Deutsche Mark"
to be grateful or thankful for.
I appreciate your efforts
to view as valuable.
You must learn to appreciate time
to be fully conscious of; be aware of; detect.
To test the power of bees to appreciate color.
to increase in value.
The value of his portfolio appreciated by 80% over eight years.
Etymology: Originated 1645–55 from appreciatus, from appretiatus, from ap- (form of ad-) + pretium (English precious) + -ate.
to set a price or value on; to estimate justly; to value
to raise the value of; to increase the market price of; -- opposed to depreciate
to be sensible of; to distinguish
to rise in value. [See note under Rise, v. i.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ap-prē′shi-āt, v.t. to estimate justly, to be fully sensible of all the good qualities in the thing judged: to estimate highly: to raise in value, to advance the quotation or price of, as opposed to depreciate.—v.i. to rise in value.—adj. Apprē′ciable.—adv. Apprē′ciably.—n. Appreciā′tion, the act of setting a value on, also specially of a work of literature or art: just—and also favourable—estimation: rise in exchangeable value: increase in value.—adjs. Apprē′ciative, Apprē′ciatory, implying appreciation.—n. Appreciā′tor, one who appreciates, or estimates justly. [L. appretiātus, pa.p. of appretiāre—ad, to, and pretium, price.]
To feel and see the value.
They do appreciate family time, it is so important to them both.
Submitted by MaryC on January 19, 2020
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'appreciate' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3874
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'appreciate' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2126
Rank popularity for the word 'appreciate' in Verbs Frequency: #437
The numerical value of appreciate in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of appreciate in Pythagorean Numerology is: 4
I think having these conversations with children earlier, they're not going to buy into hateful narratives, they're going to look at immigrants like their neighbor or their teacher or their friend's mom who's from somewhere else, and just appreciate diversity.
At a broad level, home prices are in no danger of a decline due to tight inventory conditions, but I do expect prices to appreciate at a slower pace by the end of the year, ideally, the costs for a home would rise roughly in line with income growth, which is likely to happen in 2022 as more listings and new construction become available.
We not only live among men, but there are airy hosts, blessed spectators, sympathetic lookers-on, that see and know and appreciate our thoughts and feelings and acts.
When you get sick or lose someone, your identity by default becomes' sick person' or' someone who lost someone,' in many, many ways, you are the same person you were before your diagnosis or before this thing happened. Read MoreYou still appreciate humor, you are still a whole person. There wasn't really anything in greeting card world that allowed for that.
Devin, as much as I appreciate him and consider him a friend, has demonstrated on multiple occasions that he often serves the interests of Donald Trump.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for appreciate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يُقَدِّر قيمَة, نقدرArabic
- оценявам, благодарен съм, усещам, разбирам, различавам, отчитам, ценя високоBulgarian
- uvědomovat si, cenit, stoupnout v ceně, oceňovat, být vděčný, vážit siCzech
- forstå, sætte pris på, stige i værdi, værdsætteDanish
- verstehen, dankbar sein für, im Wert steigen, zu schätzen wissenGerman
- εκτιμώ, ανατιμώμαι, αντιλαμβάνομαιGreek
- agradecer, hacerse cargo de, valorar, aumentar su valor, comprenderSpanish
- mõistma, tunnustama, hinnas tõusma, hindamaEstonian
- قدر دانستنPersian
- kallistua, erottaa, nousta arvossa, havaita, arvostaa, ymmärtää, antaa arvoaFinnish
- prendre de la valeur, reconnaissantFrench
- הוקיר, העריךHebrew
- felmegy az ára, méltányol, értékel, tudatában vanHungarian
- naik harga, memahami, menyadari, berterima kasih, menghargaiIndonesian
- capire, valorizzarsi, rendersi conto, apprezzareItalian
- 鑑賞, 感謝, 値上がり, 理解Japanese
- 이해하다, 감사하다, 진가를Korean
- įvertinti, suprasti, vertinti, įgyti didesnę vertę, pabrangtiLithuanian
- saprast, vērtēt, augstu vērtētLatvian
- japprezzah, japprezzaha, apprezza, qagħad attent minnMaltese
- beseffen, in waarde stijgen, waarderenDutch
- forstå, sette pris på, stige i verdi, verdsetteNorwegian
- doceniać, drożeć, zdawać sobie sprawę z, rozumiećPolish
- valorizar, dar valor, compreenderPortuguese
- recunoscător, își da seamaRomanian
- воспринимать, учитывать, дорожать, ощущать, понимать, улавливать, оценивать, быть признательным, ценить, быть благодарнымRussian
- byť si vedomý, získať na cene, oceniť, byť vďačný (za)Slovak
- zavedati se, biti hvaleženSlovene
- stiga, sätta värde på, förstå, vara medveten om, värdesätta, uppskattaSwedish
- anlamak, değerini bilmek, müteşekkir olmak, teşekkür borçlu olmak, değeri artmak, takdir etmekTurkish
- đánh giáVietnamese
Get even more translations for appreciate »
Find a translation for the appreciate definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these appreciate definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"appreciate." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 6 Feb. 2023. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/appreciate>.