apparently, seemingly, ostensibly, on the face of it(adverb)
from appearances alone
"irrigation often produces bumper crops from apparently desert land"; "the child is seemingly healthy but the doctor is concerned"; "had been ostensibly frank as to his purpose while really concealing it"-Thomas Hardy; "on the face of it the problem seems minor"
obviously, evidently, manifestly, patently, apparently, plainly, plain(adverb)
unmistakably (`plain' is often used informally for `plainly')
"the answer is obviously wrong"; "she was in bed and evidently in great pain"; "he was manifestly too important to leave off the guest list"; "it is all patently nonsense"; "she has apparently been living here for some time"; "I thought he owned the property, but apparently not"; "You are plainly wrong"; "he is plain stubborn"
Plainly; clearly; manifestly; evidently.
Seemingly; in appearance only.
A man may be apparently friendly, yet malicious in heart.
According to what the speaker has read or been told.
Apparently you are quite a good dancer.
plainly; clearly; manifestly; evidently
seemingly; in appearance; as, a man may be apparently friendly, yet malicious in heart
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1399
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1034
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Adverbs Frequency: #123
The numerical value of apparently in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of apparently in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Examples of apparently in a Sentence
I find it very disturbing that here we were in compliance with a request of the then-President of the United States to put into one document our insight and knowledge of the profound threat that Russia posed to this country, and now, apparently, we're being punished for this. John( Brennan) already has been.
I can't believe she actually did this, it's like amazing and apparently everyone else thinks it is too.
We thank local law enforcement officials for their prompt and professional response to this disturbing incident, which is apparently another example of the growing Islamophobia targeting American Muslims and those perceived to be Muslim.
Her father Azeem informed the police that his son Waseem has strangled Qandeel, apparently, it is honor killing but further investigations would reveal the real motives behind this murder.
According to them everything was really good in 2008, when we were going through the worst economic crisis in our lifetimes, unemployment and uninsured rates were up, we were hopelessly addicted to foreign oil and (Osama) bin Laden was still on the loose. This apparently was the golden age that I messed up.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for apparently
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ظاهرًا, على ما يبدوArabic
- aparentmentCatalan, Valencian
- zřejmě, patrně, zjevněCzech
- efter sigende, tilsyneladende, åbenbartDanish
- anscheinend, scheinbar, vorgeblich, augenscheinlich, offenbar, offensichtlich, angeblich, dem Anschein nachGerman
- verŝajne, ŝajneEsperanto
- por lo visto, obviamente, aparentemente, supuestamente, según parece, evidentemente, presuntamente, al parecerSpanish
- ilmeisesti, näennäisen, näennäisestiFinnish
- évidemment, apparemmentFrench
- is cosúil goIrish
- a rèir coltaisScottish Gaelic
- जाहिरा तौर परHindi
- apparentemente, evidentementeItalian
- 一見, 明らか, らしい, ([[どうやら]])…[[らしい]], 思しい, 明白に, そうJapanese
- šķietami, redzami, redzams, acīmredzotLatvian
- kennelijk, blijkbaar, ogenschijnlijk, schijnbaar, duidelijk, naar het schijntDutch
- haniiNavajo, Navaho
- evidentemente, claramente, supostamente, aparentementePortuguese
- казалось бы, очевидно, по-видимомуRussian
- prividno, izgleda da, привидно, изгледа даSerbo-Croatian
- zrejme, evidentne, údajne, zdanlivo, očividne, zjavneSlovak
- uppenbarligen, tydligenSwedish
- besbelli, görünüşe göre, anlaşılanTurkish
- hình nhưVietnamese
Get even more translations for apparently »
Find a translation for the apparently definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)