apparently, seemingly, ostensibly, on the face of itadverb
from appearances alone
"irrigation often produces bumper crops from apparently desert land"; "the child is seemingly healthy but the doctor is concerned"; "had been ostensibly frank as to his purpose while really concealing it"-Thomas Hardy; "on the face of it the problem seems minor"
obviously, evidently, manifestly, patently, apparently, plainly, plainadverb
unmistakably (`plain' is often used informally for `plainly')
"the answer is obviously wrong"; "she was in bed and evidently in great pain"; "he was manifestly too important to leave off the guest list"; "it is all patently nonsense"; "she has apparently been living here for some time"; "I thought he owned the property, but apparently not"; "You are plainly wrong"; "he is plain stubborn"
Plainly; clearly; manifestly; evidently.
Seemingly; in appearance only.
A man may be apparently friendly, yet malicious in heart.
According to what the speaker has read or been told.
Apparently you are quite a good dancer.
plainly; clearly; manifestly; evidently
seemingly; in appearance; as, a man may be apparently friendly, yet malicious in heart
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1399
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1034
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Adverbs Frequency: #123
The numerical value of apparently in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of apparently in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
His status has actually taken a beating in the last few months, since he's been outed, he has apparently fled. So he's not quite the celebrity and the spokesman that he used to be.
The Chinese are very pragmatic, they weigh the cost of keeping North Korea within their patronage. Apparently so far China seems to think the benefit outweighs the cost.
It was apparently 10 years ago, and I think a lot of things have changed and I think the conversation has changed a lot, something that I really thought about was, you know, sure, some people thought that I did something wrong in their eyes, but I think it was really wrong of someone to put on top of someone that this was my shame and that I should be ashamed of Miley Cyrus.
In the past decade or so, the women's magazines have taken to running home-handyperson articles suggesting that women can learn to fix things just as well as men. These articles are apparently based on the ludicrous assumption that men know how to fix things, when in fact all they know how to do is look at things in a certain squinty-eyed manner, which they learned in Wood Shop eventually, when enough things in the home are broken, they take a job requiring them to transfer to another home.
I don't know what about my career makes them think I'm easily intimidated, i will not be intimidated by this group of socialists who apparently want open borders.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for apparently
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ظاهرًا, على ما يبدوArabic
- aparentmentCatalan, Valencian
- zřejmě, patrně, zjevněCzech
- efter sigende, tilsyneladende, åbenbartDanish
- anscheinend, scheinbar, vorgeblich, augenscheinlich, offenbar, offensichtlich, angeblich, dem Anschein nachGerman
- verŝajne, ŝajneEsperanto
- por lo visto, obviamente, aparentemente, supuestamente, según parece, evidentemente, presuntamente, al parecerSpanish
- ilmeisesti, näennäisen, näennäisestiFinnish
- évidemment, apparemmentFrench
- is cosúil goIrish
- a rèir coltaisScottish Gaelic
- जाहिरा तौर परHindi
- apparentemente, evidentementeItalian
- 一見, 明らか, らしい, ([[どうやら]])…[[らしい]], 思しい, 明白に, そうJapanese
- šķietami, redzami, redzams, acīmredzotLatvian
- kennelijk, blijkbaar, ogenschijnlijk, schijnbaar, duidelijk, naar het schijntDutch
- haniiNavajo, Navaho
- evidentemente, claramente, supostamente, aparentementePortuguese
- казалось бы, очевидно, по-видимомуRussian
- prividno, izgleda da, привидно, изгледа даSerbo-Croatian
- zrejme, evidentne, údajne, zdanlivo, očividne, zjavneSlovak
- uppenbarligen, tydligenSwedish
- besbelli, görünüşe göre, anlaşılanTurkish
- hình nhưVietnamese
Get even more translations for apparently »
Find a translation for the apparently definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)