apparent, evident, manifest, patent, plain, unmistakable(adj)
clearly revealed to the mind or the senses or judgment
"the effects of the drought are apparent to anyone who sees the parched fields"; "evident hostility"; "manifest disapproval"; "patent advantages"; "made his meaning plain"; "it is plain that he is no reactionary"; "in plain view"
apparent(a), ostensible, seeming(a)(adj)
appearing as such but not necessarily so
"for all his apparent wealth he had no money to pay the rent"; "the committee investigated some apparent discrepancies"; "the ostensible truth of their theories"; "his seeming honesty"
Capable of being seen, or easily seen; open to view; visible to the eye; within sight or view.
Clear or manifest to the understanding; plain; evident; obvious; known; palpable; indubitable.
Appearing to the eye or mind (distinguished from, but not necessarily opposed to, true or real); seeming.
Origin: From apparent, in turn from apparens/apparentis, present participle of appareo.
capable of being seen, or easily seen; open to view; visible to the eye; within sight or view
clear or manifest to the understanding; plain; evident; obvious; known; palpable; indubitable
appearing to the eye or mind (distinguished from, but not necessarily opposed to, true or real); seeming; as the apparent motion or diameter of the sun
an heir apparent
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ap-pār′ent, adj. that may be seen: evident: palpable: seeming, as opposed to what really is: (Shak.) by ellipsis for heir-apparent.—adv. Appar′ently.—ns. Appar′entness; Heir′-appar′ent, applied to one who will undoubtedly inherit if he survives the present possessor. [Through Fr. from L. apparent-em, apparē-re.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'apparent' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1889
Rank popularity for the word 'apparent' in Adjectives Frequency: #257
The numerical value of apparent in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of apparent in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
We watched the video, and it's an apparent suicide.
Everything at this point does suggest that it is an apparent suicide.
The next two weeks are a golden opportunity to make the answer apparent.
It became apparent that I had to open the front, this is not for everybody.
It became immediately apparent to me that Zoubir had a very serious condition.
Images & Illustrations of apparent
Translations for apparent
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- привиден, очевиден, видим, явен, забележимBulgarian
- aparentCatalan, Valencian
- zdánlivý, viditelný, očividný, zjevnýCzech
- offensichtlich, offenbarGerman
- claro, visible, ostensible, evidente, aparente, manifiestoSpanish
- ilmeinen, silminnähtävä, näkyvä, näennäinen, selväFinnish
- apparente, apparent, évident, criante, criant, évidente, manifeste, visibleFrench
- follasach, dealramhach, soiléirIrish
- látszólagos, nyilvánvaló, láthatóHungarian
- 明白, 瞭然, 見える, 明瞭, 明確Japanese
- redzams, skaidrsLatvian
- duidelijk, klaarblijkelijk, klaar, ogenschijnlijk, evidentDutch
- widoczny, pozorny, oczywistyPolish
- څرګند, ښکارهPashto, Pushto
- visível, aparente, claro, evidente, manifestoPortuguese
- manifest, clar, vădit, evidentRomanian
- очевидный, видимый, кажущийся, явныйRussian
- očíten, videnSlovene
- я́вний, очеви́днийUkrainian
Get even more translations for apparent »
Find a translation for the apparent definition in other languages:
Select another language: