agree, hold, concur, concord(verb)
be in accord; be in agreement
"We agreed on the terms of the settlement"; "I can't agree with you!"; "I hold with those who say life is sacred"; "Both philosophers concord on this point"
consent or assent to a condition, or agree to do something
"She agreed to all my conditions"; "He agreed to leave her alone"
match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree(verb)
be compatible, similar or consistent; coincide in their characteristics
"The two stories don't agree in many details"; "The handwriting checks with the signature on the check"; "The suspect's fingerprints don't match those on the gun"
harmonize, harmonise, consort, accord, concord, fit in, agree(verb)
"The colors don't harmonize"; "Their ideas concorded"
show grammatical agreement
"Subjects and verbs must always agree in English"
be agreeable or suitable
"White wine doesn't agree with me"
achieve harmony of opinion, feeling, or purpose
"No two of my colleagues would agree on whom to elect chairman"
To harmonize in opinion, statement, or action; to be in unison or concord; to be or become united or consistent; to concur.
all parties agree in the expediency of the law.
To yield assent; to accede;followed by to.
To yield assent to; to approve.
To make a stipulation by way of settling differences or determining a price; to exchange promises; to come to terms or to a common resolve; to promise.
To be conformable; to resemble; to coincide; to correspond.
the picture does not agree with the original; the two scales agree exactly.
To suit or be adapted in its effects; to do well.
the same food does not agree with every constitution.
To correspond to in gender, number, case, or person.
To consent to a contract or to an element of a contract.
Origin: agreer, from a gré, from ad + gratum.
in good part; kindly
to harmonize in opinion, statement, or action; to be in unison or concord; to be or become united or consistent; to concur; as, all parties agree in the expediency of the law
to yield assent; to accede; -- followed by to; as, to agree to an offer, or to opinion
to make a stipulation by way of settling differences or determining a price; to exchange promises; to come to terms or to a common resolve; to promise
to be conformable; to resemble; to coincide; to correspond; as, the picture does not agree with the original; the two scales agree exactly
to suit or be adapted in its effects; to do well; as, the same food does not agree with every constitution
to correspond in gender, number, case, or person
to make harmonious; to reconcile or make friends
to admit, or come to one mind concerning; to settle; to arrange; as, to agree the fact; to agree differences
Origin: [F. gr. See Agree.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
a-grē′, v.i. to be of one mind: to concur: to assent to: to be consistent, to harmonise: to determine, to settle: to resemble, to suit: (gram.) to be in concord with—taking the same gender, number, case, or person: to do well with climate, &c. (followed by with before the person or thing agreeing: by upon, on, for, to, in before the condition of the agreement):—pa.p. agreed′.—adj. Agree′able, suitable: pleasant: favourable to, consenting to.—n. Agree′ableness, suitableness: conformity: quality of pleasing—also Agreeabil′ity.—adv. Agree′ably.—n. Agree′ment, concord: conformity: harmony: a bargain or contract. [O. Fr. agréer, to accept kindly—L. ad, to, and gratus, pleasing.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'agree' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1482
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'agree' in Written Corpus Frequency: #597
Rank popularity for the word 'agree' in Verbs Frequency: #94
The numerical value of agree in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of agree in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Examples of agree in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of agree
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for agree
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- وافق, يوافقArabic
- згаджацца, згадзіццаBelarusian
- съответствам, съгласявам се, съгласен съм, съгласувам, хармонирам, съгласявам, договарямBulgarian
- shodovat, souhlasit, dohodnout, vyhovovatCzech
- være enig, stemme overens, overensstemme, rette sig efterDanish
- annehmen, sich verständigen, zustimmen, einverstanden sein, akzeptieren, kongruierenGerman
- [[estar]] [[de acuerdo]], coincidir, concordar, acceder, asentir, acordarSpanish
- موافق بودنPersian
- yhtä mieltä, yksimielinen, vastata, olla, sopia, hyväksyäFinnish
- consentir, accorder, être d'accordFrench
- aontaich, co-aontaich, freagair a chèile, còrd riScottish Gaelic
- egyetért, egyeztetHungarian
- համաձայնել, համաձայնվելArmenian
- berjanji, menyetujuiIndonesian
- essere d'accordo, accordarsi, corrispondere, concordareItalian
- 同意, 同じる, 一致, 賛成Japanese
- 동의하다, 약속하다, 일치하다, 同意, 합의하다Korean
- concordo, convenio, agreeLatin
- zgodzić się, zgadzać sięPolish
- estar de acordo, concordar, aceitarPortuguese
- añikuy, allipunakuyQuechua
- согласиться, соглашаться, [[приходить]] [[к]] [[согласие, [[достигать]] [[соглашениеRussian
- сагласити, saglasitiSerbo-Croatian
- súhlasiť, zhodovaťSlovak
- jam dakordAlbanian
- hålla medSwedish
- onaylamak, anlaşmak, katılmak, kabul etmekTurkish
- погоджуватися, зго́дитися, погодитися, зго́джуватисяUkrainian
- đồng ý, 同意Vietnamese
Get even more translations for agree »
Find a translation for the agree definition in other languages:
Select another language: