advocate, advocator, proponent, exponent(noun)
a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
advocate, counsel, counselor, counsellor, counselor-at-law, pleader(verb)
a lawyer who pleads cases in court
recommend, urge, advocate(verb)
push for something
"The travel agent recommended strongly that we not travel on Thanksgiving Day"
speak, plead, or argue in favor of
"The doctor advocated a smoking ban in the entire house"
Someone whose job is to speak for someone's case in a court of law; a counsel.
Anyone who argues the case of another; an intercessor.
A person who speaks in support of something.
A person who supports someone to make their voice heard, or ideally to speak up for themselves.
Since she started working with her advocate she has become much more confident.
To argue for someone else.
To encourage support for something.
I like trees, but I do not advocate living in them.
Origin: From avocat, from advocatus, past participle of advocare.
one who pleads the cause of another. Specifically: One who pleads the cause of another before a tribunal or judicial court; a counselor
one who defends, vindicates, or espouses any cause by argument; a pleader; as, an advocate of free trade, an advocate of truth
christ, considered as an intercessor
to plead in favor of; to defend by argument, before a tribunal or the public; to support, vindicate, or recommend publicly
to act as advocate
Origin: [See Advocate, n., Advoke, Avow.]
An advocate is a type of professional lawyer in several different legal systems. These include Scotland, Belgium, South Africa, India, Scandinavian jurisdictions, Israel, and the British Crown dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man. The broad equivalent in many English law-based jurisdictions is "barrister".
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ad′vo-kāt, n. an intercessor or defender: one who pleads the cause of another, esp. in a court of law in Scotland and France.—v.t. to plead in favour of: to recommend.—ns. Advocā′tion; Ad′vocator.—Lord Advocate, the first law-officer of the crown and public prosecutor of crimes for Scotland. [O. Fr. avocat—L. advocatus—advocāre, -ātum—ad, to, vocāre, to call: to call in (another to help, as in a lawsuit or in sickness).]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'advocate' in Verbs Frequency: #801
How to say advocate in sign language?
The numerical value of advocate in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of advocate in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of advocate in a Sentence
If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move.
Jailing every human rights advocate will not stop us.
You are going to be a much better advocate for yourself.
We were never wet. It was never wet," Lutz told the Advocate.
In no way do I advocate, you know, saying mean things about people.
Images & Illustrations of advocate
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for advocate
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- поддръжник, защитник, застъпвам се за, адвока́тка, адвока́тBulgarian
- právníčka, právník, advokát, obhájceCzech
- verteidigen, plädieren, Rechtsanwältin, RechtsanwaltGerman
- υποστηρικτής, συνήγορος, υπέρμαχος, υπερασπιστήςGreek
- abogar, representante, portavoz, abogada, abogado, recomendar, vocero, defensorSpanish
- puhua puolesta, kannattaja, kannattaa, puoltaja, asianajaja, puolustaa, puolestapuhujaFinnish
- avocate, porte-parole, plaider, préconiser, avocatFrench
- կողմնակից, փաստաբան, իրավաբանArmenian
- pengacara, pembelaIndonesian
- advokato, pledar, rekomendarIdo
- sostenitore, avvocata, avvocato, sostenitriceItalian
- עוֹרֵך דִיןHebrew
- 説く, 主張, 支持Japanese
- അഭിഭാഷകന്, വക്കീല്Malayalam
- avukat, diffensur, avukatessa, diffensuraMaltese
- verdediger, aanbevelen, bepleiten, advocate, verdedigster, advocaat, voorstanderDutch
- adwokatka, adwokatPolish
- advogado, defender, representante, advocar, [[argumentar]] [[a favor]], advogada, defensorPortuguese
- побо́рник, сторо́нница, выступа́ть в защи́ту, защи́тница, побо́рница, сторо́нник, выступа́ть, адвока́т, отста́ивать, приве́рженка, защи́тник, пропаганди́ровать, приве́рженецRussian
- zagovornik, zagovarjati, zagovornica, podpornik, podpornica, podpiratiSlovene
- mbrojtës, avokatAlbanian
- förespråka, förespråkare, advokat, pläderaSwedish
- jilavogan, hilavogan, lavoganVolapük
Get even more translations for advocate »
Find a translation for the advocate definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)