a written work (as a novel) that has been recast in a new form
"the play is an adaptation of a short novel"
adaptation, adaption, adjustmentnoun
the process of adapting to something (such as environmental conditions)
(physiology) the responsive adjustment of a sense organ (as the eye) to varying conditions (as of light)
The quality of being adapted; adaption; adjustment.
Adjustment to extant conditions: as, adjustment of a sense organ to the intensity or quality of stimulation; modification of some thing or its parts that makes it more fit for existence under the conditions of its current environment.
Something which has been adapted; variation.
the act or process of adapting, or fitting; or the state of being adapted or fitted; fitness
Etymology: [Cf. F. adaptation, LL. adaptatio.]
the result of adapting; an adapted form
Etymology: [Cf. F. adaptation, LL. adaptatio.]
An adaptation, also called an adaptive trait, in biology is a trait with a current functional role in the life history of an organism that is maintained and evolved by means of natural selection. Adaptation refers to both the current state of being adapted and to the dynamic evolutionary process that leads to the adaptation. Adaptations contribute to the fitness and survival of individuals. Organisms face a succession of environmental challenges as they grow and develop and are equipped with an adaptive plasticity as the phenotype of traits develop in response to the imposed conditions. The developmental norm of reaction for any given trait is essential to the correction of adaptation as it affords a kind of biological insurance or resilience to varying environments.
The act and process of to adapt.
The adaptation was easy.Submitted by MaryC on March 16, 2020
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'adaptation' in Nouns Frequency: #2796
The numerical value of adaptation in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of adaptation in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
This just illustrates the importance of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and continuing heat adaptation.
1. Biological infantilism atrophies in a person many useful qualities of survival due to selfishness, the population of mankind will be significantly reduced. 2. Machine logic Outside, we look like people, but inside we are as if machines that created evolution itself. Machine mechanisms of thinking moving from one extreme to another. The logic is completely automatic. Inside, everything works very accurately for a normal person, if something breaks, this person is called a madman. This is the absolute power of logic over everything. Robotic consciousness in which everything seems exotic when it is not a profit, but romance. 3. The subconscious mind is capricious and therefore paradoxical, it does not listen to the wisdom of the universe. 4. All reflexes of thinking are just gears twisted by the experience of life. 5. The main geography of the organism The basic geography of an organism is entirely based on the life experience of evolution. Constantly corrected by selfishness that will disrupt the basic ecosystem of thinking and human health. 6. Fear is the basis of all desires. 7. Cosmetics, clothing shopping and plastic surgery are pain relievers for your ego, dear ladies, but not a medicine. 8. We all admire geniuses. Before the talents. This is totemism. This is paganism where every genius as a god is responsible for his ability. We have become pagans of media mythology. 9. Sleep is self-criticism and self-irony. 10. Loneliness is when all the threads connecting with communication break and you stop being a puppet. 11. You will become more successful when all stupid desires die out in you. 12. Successful people are obsessed with the idea that they are always late. 13. A rich man thinks like a sultan. More secret wives, more mistresses, more prostitutes, he is not a prince, he just bought you like a barbie at a sex toy store. 14. The world is a masterpiece of adaptation and there is an endless space around us, but nature is our space. 15. Immortality which will give you to find the secrets of being. All the secrets of awareness will be revealed by eternity. 16. Thinking constantly mutates, instincts and reflexes acquire new qualities of ability, philosophy acquires new armor, and thinking new claws in the process of adaptation. 17. Insomnia is the epicenter of loneliness, a painful point of inevitability. Author: Musin Almat Zhumabekovich
We are beginning to learn more about the impact of DNA from archaic hominins on human biology, we now know that both Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA was deleterious in general but there were some genes where this DNA had an adaptive impact. For example, altitude adaptation in Tibetans was likely facilitated by a Denisovan introgressed gene.
(Climate spending) is going in the right direction but more needs to happen, and clearly on the adaptation side as well.
We think that a nauseated feeling is an evolutionary adaptation to eject food that was rotten or toxic.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for adaptation
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- uyğunlaşma, adaptasiyaAzerbaijani
- свикване, адаптация, пригаждане, приспособяванеBulgarian
- adaptacióCatalan, Valencian
- přizpůsobení, adaptaceCzech
- modificación, versión, ajuste, adaptaciónSpanish
- sopeutuminen, sovitus, mukautuminenFinnish
- adaptasyonHaitian Creole
- адапта́ция, приспоса́бливание, обрабо́тка, привыка́ниеRussian
- intibak, alışma, uyum, adaptasyonTurkish
Get even more translations for adaptation »
Find a translation for the adaptation definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)