to the opposite side
"the football field was 300 feet across"
across, crosswise, crossways(adverb)
"the marble slabs were cut across"
A clue whose solution runs horizontally in the grid.
I solved all of the acrosses, but then got stuck on 3 down.
From one side to the other.
On the other side.
If we sail off at noon, when will we be across?.
In a particular direction.
He leaned across for a book.
I got stuck on 4 across.
To, toward or from the far side of (something that lies between two points of interest).
On the opposite side of (something that lies between two points of interest).
That store is across the street.
On the opposite side, relative to something that lies between, from (a point of interest).
From one side to the other within (a space being traversed).
At or near the far end of (a space).
This poetry speaks across the centuries.
All across the country, voters were communicating their representatives.
So as to intersect or pass through or over at an angle.
Origin: from a-croiz, from an + croiz, from crux
from side to side; athwart; crosswise, or in a direction opposed to the length; quite over; as, a bridge laid across a river
from side to side; crosswise; as, with arms folded across
obliquely; athwart; amiss; awry
Origin: [Pref. a- + cross: cf. F. en croix. See Cross, n.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
a-kros′, prep. or adv. crosswise: from side to side. [Prep. a, and Cross.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'across' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #428
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'across' in Written Corpus Frequency: #507
Rank popularity for the word 'across' in Adverbs Frequency: #226
The numerical value of across in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of across in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Examples of across in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of across
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for across
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- през, водоравно, оттатъкBulgarian
- přes, vodorovněCzech
- über, querGerman
- κατακορύφως, καθέτως, αντίπερα, απέναντι, οριζόντιος, δια μέσου, κατά πλάτοςGreek
- através, al otro lado de, atravesado, a travésSpanish
- toisella puolella, kohti, ristiin, poikittain, halki, poikki, yli, vaakasuoraanFinnish
- dwersWestern Frisian
- thairis, thar, tarsainn air, thairis air, tarsainnScottish Gaelic
- միջով, մի կողմից մյուսը, մյուս կողմում, վրայով, խաչաձեւ, դիմացը, մյուս կողմըArmenian
- di seberangIndonesian
- attraverso, orizzontale, dall'altra parteItalian
- על פניHebrew
- 向こう側, 横切って, 向こうJapanese
- di ser hev re, di ser ... re, di ... re, li aliyê din yêKurdish
- попреку, пре́куMacedonian
- zijdelings, overheen, tegenover, horizontaalDutch
- perpendicularmente, [[em]] [[horizontal]], [[do]] [[outro]] [[lado]] [[de]], atravésPortuguese
- dincolo, peste, de-a curmezișul, dincolo de, trans-, în curmeziș, orizontal, pe cealaltă parte, prin, transversalRomanian
- че́рез, поперёк, сквозьRussian
- prek, čez, vodoravnoSlovene
- över, genom, vågrätt, horisontellt, tvärs överSwedish
- ఆవల, అవతలTelugu
Get even more translations for across »
Find a translation for the across definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)