abolish, get rid of(verb)
do away with
"Slavery was abolished in the mid-19th century in America and in Russia"
To do away with wholly; to annul; to make void; to end a law, system, custom or institution
Slavery was abolished in the nineteenth century.
To put an end to or destroy, as a physical object; to wipe out.
Origin: First attested in 1459. From abolisshen, from abolir, from abolere, present active infinitive of aboleo, from ab + oleo.
to do away with wholly; to annul; to make void; -- said of laws, customs, institutions, governments, etc.; as, to abolish slavery, to abolish folly
to put an end to, or destroy, as a physical objects; to wipe out
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ab-ol′ish, v.t. to put an end to: to annul.—adj. Abol′ishable, capable of being abolished.—ns. Abol′ishment (rare); Aboli′tion, the act of abolishing; Aboli′tionism, advocacy of abolitionist principles; Aboli′tionist, one who seeks to abolish anything, esp. slavery. [Fr. abolir, aboliss—from L. abolēre, -itum—ab, from, olēre, to grow. The prep. ab here reverses the meaning of the simple verb.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'abolish' in Verbs Frequency: #753
The numerical value of abolish in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of abolish in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
A throw of the dice will never abolish chance.
New vandals will destroy what former vandals failed to abolish.
If we are to abolish the death penalty, I should like to see the first step taken by my friends the murderers.
We are not going to abolish the system and wait and see, we need to have a package of measures which safeguard the future.
The world is very different now. For man holds in his hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life.
Images & Illustrations of abolish
Translations for abolish
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- يلغي, يبطل, دمرArabic
- скасаваць, касавацьBelarusian
- према́хвам, отменям, унищожа́вамBulgarian
- suprimir, abolirCatalan, Valencian
- dinistrio, diddymuWelsh
- abschaffen, vernichtenGerman
- καταργώ, καταλύωGreek
- abolicii, forigiEsperanto
- abrogar, quitar, abolir, suprimir, destrozarSpanish
- tühistama, kaotamaEstonian
- lopettaa, lakkauttaaFinnish
- détruire, abolir, supprimerFrench
- ביטל, הרסHebrew
- समाप्त करनाHindi
- aboliHaitian Creole
- 止める, 打破, 廃止, 無くすJapanese
- vernietigen, afschaffenDutch
- forkaste, avskaffeNorwegian
- znosić, obalić, obalać, znieśćPolish
- abolir, arrasar, suprimir, acabar com, destroçarPortuguese
- aboli, distrugeRomanian
- уничтожать, отменять, уничтожить, отменитьRussian
- överge, förkastaSwedish
- เลิก, ยกเลิก, ยุบเลิกThai
- касувати, скасуватиUkrainian
- finidön, säkibönVolapük
Get even more translations for abolish »
Find a translation for the abolish definition in other languages:
Select another language: