having the wind against the forward side of the sails
"the ship came up into the wind with all yards aback"
"taken aback by the caustic remarks"
toward the back or rear; backward
behind; in the rear
backward against the mast; -- said of the sails when pressed by the wind
Origin: [Pref. a- + back; AS. on bc at, on, or toward the back. See Back.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
a-bak′, adv. (naut.) said of sails pressed backward against the mast by the wind—hence (fig.) Taken aback, taken by surprise, [A.S. on bæc. See On and Back.]
The numerical value of aback in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of aback in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
I was taken aback by the fact that my boat was finally going to be restored.
I was immediately taken aback and told him he needed to seek legal recourse immediately, keith sat on the email way too long.
I was a little taken aback to see that apparently preadolescence is the new adolescence or junior high school or middle school is the new high school.
I've been taken aback by the mischaracterizations from outside the state of Indiana about what is in this bill. this isn't 1950 Alabama; it's 2015 Indiana.
(Electroniki) had accumulated losses and had made serious efforts with its creditors (to be restructured), we all knew it had serious problems but we were taken aback by its bankruptcy.
Images & Illustrations of aback
Translations for aback
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- إلى الخلفArabic
- заднишком, отзад, назадBulgarian
- পেছন দিকেBengali
- bagi, bakDanish
- rückwärts, hintenGerman
- προς τα πίσωGreek
- atrás, hacia atrásSpanish
- tagasi, tagaspidi, tagurpidiEstonian
- غافلگیرشدن, یکه خوردن, جاخوردنPersian
- takana, taaksepäin, pakki, takaisin, perässäFinnish
- en arrièreFrench
- air aisScottish Gaelic
- पीछ॓ की ओर, बोचक्क, अचंभेHindi
- all'indietro, dietro, a, di, colloItalian
- achteraan, rugwaarts, achterwaartsDutch
- wstecz, do tyłu, z tyłu, bieg wstecznyPolish
- para, trás, atrásPortuguese
- назад, [[про́тив]] [[ве́тра]], сза́ди, позади́Russian
- geriye, pupadaTurkish
- lùi lại, trở lại, đằng sau, vềVietnamese
Get even more translations for aback »
Find a translation for the aback definition in other languages:
Select another language: