Definitions for Sorry
ˈsɒr i, ˈsɔr iSor·ry
Here are all the possible meanings and translations of the word Sorry.
regretful, sorry, badadjective
feeling or expressing regret or sorrow or a sense of loss over something done or undone
"felt regretful over his vanished youth"; "regretful over mistakes she had made"; "he felt bad about breaking the vase"
deplorable, distressing, lamentable, pitiful, sad, sorryadjective
"my finances were in a deplorable state"; "a lamentable decision"; "her clothes were in sad shape"; "a sorry state of affairs"
good-for-nothing, good-for-naught, meritless, no-account, no-count, no-good, sorryadjective
"a sorry horse"; "a sorry excuse"; "a lazy no-count, good-for-nothing goldbrick"; "the car was a no-good piece of junk"
blue, dark, dingy, disconsolate, dismal, gloomy, grim, sorry, drab, drear, drearyadjective
"a blue day"; "the dark days of the war"; "a week of rainy depressing weather"; "a disconsolate winter landscape"; "the first dismal dispiriting days of November"; "a dark gloomy day"; "grim rainy weather"
The act of saying sorry; an apology.
Regretful for an action; grieved or saddened, especially by the loss of something or someone.
Poor, sad or regrettable.
The storm left his garden in a sorry state.
Expresses regret, remorse, or sorrow.
Sorry! I didn't see that you were on the phone.
Used as a request for someone to repeat something not heard or understood clearly.
Sorry? What was that? The phone cut out.
Etymology: From sory, from sarig, from sairagaz, from sayǝw-. Cognate with serig, dialectal sehrig. More at sore.
Samuel Johnson's Dictionary
Etymology: sarig , Saxon.
What we are sorry for ourselves in thee. Timon of Athens.
The king was sorry: nevertheless for the oath’s sake he commanded the Baptist’s head to be given her. Matth. xiv. 9.
I’m sorry for thee, friend; ’tis the duke’s pleasure. William Shakespeare.
We are sorry for the satire interspersed in some of these pieces, upon a few people, from whom the highest provocations have been received. Jonathan Swift.
A salt and sorry rheum offends me:
Lend me thy handkerchief. William Shakespeare, Othello.
How now, why do you keep alone?
Of sorriest fancies your companions making,
Using those thoughts, which should, indeed, have died
With them they think on. William Shakespeare, Macbeth.
If the union of the parts consist only in rest, it would seem that a bag of dust would be of as firm a consistence as that of marble; and Bajazet’s cage had been but a sorry prison. Joseph Glanvill.
And cheeks of sorry grain will serve to ply
The sampler, and to teize the housewife’s wool. John Milton.
How vain were all the ensigns of his power, that could not su port him against one slighting look of a sorry slave! Roger L'Estrange.
If this innocent had any relation to his Thebais, the poet might have found some sorry excuse for detaining the reader. Dryden.
If such a slight and sorry business as that could produce one organical body, one might reasonably expect, that now and then a dead lump of dough might be leavened into an animal. Richard Bentley, Sermons.
grieved for the loss of some good; pained for some evil; feeling regret; -- now generally used to express light grief or affliction, but formerly often used to express deeper feeling
melancholy; dismal; gloomy; mournful
poor; mean; worthless; as, a sorry excuse
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
sor′i, adj. grieved for something past: melancholy: poor: worthless.—adj. Sorr′iest (Shak.), most sorrowful.—adv. Sorr′ily.—n. Sorr′iness. [A.S. sárig, wounded—sár, pain; Dut. zeerig.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Sorry' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1412
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Sorry' in Written Corpus Frequency: #255
Rank popularity for the word 'Sorry' in Adjectives Frequency: #98
The numerical value of Sorry in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of Sorry in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
I thought what came through was a very genuine, very loving young couple, working hard to make the best of a pretty difficult road. prince Harry's got to stop feeling sorry for Prince Harry and look at the positives -- shut out the criticism, just ignore it as Prince Harry father has done, and get on with the work, get on with the job.
Average people you say YOU ARE FULL OF YOURSELF just because you approach everything with positive attitude, and you never feel sorry for yourself.
These are all factors that should be considered when making a decision on whether or not to conduct an enforcement action, but the policy, the executive order, I'm sorry, doesn't address that issue.
You were focused on what you had done because you had just killed somebody, i'm sorry it happened.
I am sorry that this has been confusing to people and raised questions.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Sorry
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أنا آسفة, عفوًا!, آسف, أنا آسف, آسفة, عذراً!, ماذا قلت؟Arabic
- выбачайце, выбачайBelarusian
- пардон, съжалявам, извинявай, извине́теBulgarian
- দুঃখিত, সরি, মাফ করবেনBengali
- perdó, llastimós, afligit, disculpesCatalan, Valencian
- prosím, pardon, promiňte, zarmoucený, promiň, žalostnýCzech
- undskyld, ked af, beklager, sørgeligDanish
- verzeihen Sie bitte, wie bitte?, wie?, sorry, traurig, bitte?, Entschuldigung, ich bitte um Entschuldigung, es tut mir Leid, armselig, entschuldigen Sie bitte, beklagenswert, VerzeihungGerman
- discúlpame, lo siento, disculpe, ¿ah?, perdón, cómo, pobre, perdóname, mande, ¿eh?, disculpaSpanish
- پوزش, ببخشید, معذرت میخواهمPersian
- anteeksi, pahoittelen, surkea, [[olla, sori, anteeksipyyntö, surullinen, pahoillaanFinnish
- excusez-moi, hein, pardon, excuse-moi, désolé, navré, quoi, comment, ?French
- gabh mo leithscéal, tá brón orm, brónachIrish
- tha mi duilich, duilich, b' àill leibh, b' àill leat, truaghScottish Gaelic
- מצטער, סְלִיחָהHebrew
- माफ़ कीजिए, सॉरीHindi
- bocsánat, elnézést kérek, elnézést, nem értem, tessék?, bocs, sajnál, elnézéstHungarian
- ներողություն, կներես, ներիր, կներեք, ներեցեքArmenian
- fyrirgefðu, afsakið, fyrirgefðu mérIcelandic
- mi scuso, scusa, scusi, scuse, mi scusiItalian
- もう一度, もう一回, 申し訳ありません, 残念, すみません, 遺憾, え, かわいそう, 何, 恐縮, すまない, 失礼しました, ごめんなさい, 気の毒, 申し訳ないJapanese
- რა, უკაცრავადGeorgian
- 실례, 미안하다, [[죄송]][[합니다]]Korean
- بهڵێ, ببووره, پهشیمان, خهجاڵهت, لێبوردنKurdish
- mihi ignoscite, excusate, repete, me paenitet, doleo, excusa, mihi īgnōsce, meā culpāLatin
- waat?, spietelik, zörgelikLimburgish, Limburgan, Limburger
- atsiprašau, dovanokite, atleiskiteLithuanian
- юу гэнээ?, уучлаарайMongolian
- skużani, skużiMaltese
- armzalig, pardon, het spijt me, treurig, wat zeg je, excuseer, sorry, spijten, wat zegt uDutch
- lei, unnskyld, beklager, sørgeligNorwegian
- maanendamOjibwe, Ojibwa
- przepraszam?, przykro mi, przepraszam, słucham?, przykry, żałosnyPolish
- quê?, foi mal, lastimável, desculpa, perdão, perdão?, hein?Portuguese
- scuzați, scuză-mă, scuză, scuzați-mă, îmi pare răuRomanian
- что?, что вы сказали, пардо́н, извиниться, плачевный, жаль, извинить, жалкий, сожалеющий, прошу прощения, со́рри, [[просить, простить, огорчённыйRussian
- izvinite, опростите, извини, molim, oprostite, izvini, извинитеSerbo-Croatian
- prepáčte, bohužiaľ, prepáčSlovak
- oprosti, oprostiteSlovene
- më fal, më falniAlbanian
- ledsen, förlåt, sorglig, ledsam, ursäktaSwedish
- paumanhin, patawadTagalog
- özür dilerim, pardon, üzgünüm, affedersiniz, üzgün, efendim, afedersiniz, affedersin, afedersinTurkish
- كەچۈرۈڭUyghur, Uighur
- перепрошую, пробач, пробачтеUkrainian
- معاف کیجیئے, ساریUrdu
- xin lỗiVietnamese
Get even more translations for Sorry »
Find a translation for the Sorry definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these Sorry definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"Sorry." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 28 Sep. 2022. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/Sorry>.