murder, slaying, execution(verb)
unlawful premeditated killing of a human being by a human being
murder, slay, hit, dispatch, bump off, off, polish off, remove(verb)
kill intentionally and with premeditation
"The mafia boss ordered his enemies murdered"
mangle, mutilate, murder(verb)
alter so as to make unrecognizable
"The tourists murdered the French language"
An act of deliberate killing of another human being.
There have been ten unsolved murders this year alone.
The crime of deliberate killing.
The defendant was charged with murder.
(When used as a predicative noun): Something terrible to endure.
This headache is murder.
The collective noun for crows
To deliberately kill (a person or persons).
The woman found dead in her kitchen was murdered by her husband.
To defeat decisively.
Our team is going to murder them.
To botch or mangle
To kick someone's ass or chew someone out (used to express one's anger at somebody).
He's torn my best shirt. When I see him, I'll murder him!
to devour, ravish.
I could murder a hamburger right now.
Origin: From murder, murdre, mourdre "murder", alteration of earlier murthre (see murther) from morþor and myrþra, both from murþran, from mrtro-, from . Akin to 033C0330033F034203380342, mord, morð, myrþrian.
the offense of killing a human being with malice prepense or aforethought, express or implied; intentional and unlawful homicide
to kill with premediated malice; to kill (a human being) willfully, deliberately, and unlawfully. See Murder, n
to destroy; to put an end to
to mutilate, spoil, or deform, as if with malice or cruelty; to mangle; as, to murder the king's English
Origin: [OE. morder, morther, AS. moror, fr. mor murder; akin to D. moord, OS. mor, G., Dan., & Sw. mord, Icel. mor, Goth. marr, OSlav. mrti to die, Lith. mirti, W. marw dead, L. mors, mortis, death, mori, moriri, to die, Gr. broto`s (for mroto`s) mortal, 'a`mbrotos immortal, Skr. m to die, mta death. 105. Cf. Amaranth, Ambrosia, Mortal.]
Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this premeditated state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide. A person who commits murder is called a murderer. As the loss of a human being inflicts enormous grief upon the individuals close to the victim, and the commission of a murder is highly detrimental to the good order within society, most societies both present and in antiquity have considered it a most serious crime worthy of the harshest of punishment. In most countries, a person convicted of murder is typically given a long prison sentence, possibly a life sentence where permitted, and in some countries, the death penalty may be imposed for such an act – though this practice is becoming less common. Due to the gravity of the offense, there is generally no statute of limitations for murder.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
mur′dėr, n. the act of putting a person to death, intentionally and from malice.—v.t. to commit murder: to destroy: to put an end to.—n. Mur′derer, one who murders, or is guilty of murder:—fem. Mur′deress.—adj. Mur′derous, guilty of murder: consisting in, or fond of, murder: bloody: cruel.—adv. Mur′derously.—n. Mur′dress, a battlement with interstices for firing through.—Murder in the first degree, murder with deliberation and premeditation, or that committed in the furtherance of any arson, rape, robbery, or burglary—in the second degree, murder of all other kinds; Murder will out, murder cannot remain hidden. [A.S. morthor—morth, death; Ger. mord, Goth. maurthr; cf. L. mors, mortis, death.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Murder' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1895
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Murder' in Written Corpus Frequency: #3928
Rank popularity for the word 'Murder' in Nouns Frequency: #768
Rank popularity for the word 'Murder' in Verbs Frequency: #655
How to say Murder in sign language?
The numerical value of Murder in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of Murder in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Examples of Murder in a Sentence
Images & Illustrations of Murder
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Murder
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- قتل, قَتْل, اِغْتِيَالArabic
- öldürmək, cinayətAzerbaijani
- assassinat, assassinarCatalan, Valencian
- vražda, porod, zabít, sprovodit ze světa, zavraždit, zničit, hejnoCzech
- lladd, llofruddio, llofruddiaethWelsh
- smadre, myrde, mord, slå ihjel, kvæleDanish
- mörderisch, ermorden, umbringen, MordGerman
- φονεύω, ανθρωποκτονία, δολοφονία, φόνος, δολοφονώ, σκοτώνωGreek
- asesinato, asesinar, devorarSpanish
- mõrv, roim, mõrvama, roimama, tapmaEstonian
- murha, murhata, parvi, murhaavaFinnish
- meurtre, homicideFrench
- mort, murtScottish Gaelic
- רֶצַח, רצח, הביס, הביע כעס, זעם, טרף, סיוט, להקת עורביםHebrew
- gyilkosság, meggyilkolHungarian
- սպանություն, սպանելArmenian
- morð, myrða, rústaIcelandic
- massacrare, omicidio, assassinio, assassinare, delitto, distruggereItalian
- 殺人, 殺す, 殺害するJapanese
- 살인, 殺人, 살인죄Korean
- адам өлтүрүүKyrgyz
- žmogžudystė, nužudymas, užmuštiLithuanian
- slepkavība, noslepkavot, slepkavotLatvian
- കൊലപാതകം, കൊല, ഹത്യMalayalam
- moord, de grond in boren, vermoorden, moordenDutch
- overlagt, ta knekken på, drepe, mord, myrde, drapNorwegian
- morderstwo, zabójstwo, zamordować, zabićPolish
- homicídio, tortura, detonar, assassinato, devorar, massacrar, destroçar, assassínio, assassinar, destruir, acabar comPortuguese
- crimă, asasinatRomanian
- убива́ть, уби́йство, уби́ть, разгроми́тьRussian
- убоство, ubistvo, уморство, ùbiti, umórstvo, убити, vrane, zgromiti, умо̀рити, ùbōjstvo, umòriti, убиство, убојствоSerbo-Croatian
- vražda, zavraždiť, vraždiťSlovak
- umor, umoritiSlovene
- mord, sluka, mörda, dödaSwedish
- куштор, қатл, одамкушӣTajik
- adam öldürme, cinayet, öldürmek, katletmekTurkish
- tàn sát, giết người, vụ giết người, ám sát, vụ ám sát, giếtVietnamese
Get even more translations for Murder »
Find a translation for the Murder definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)