Definitions for Mayor
ˈmeɪ ər, mɛərmay·or
Here are all the possible meanings and translations of the word Mayor.
mayor, city managernoun
the head of a city government
The leader of a city, or a municipality, sometimes just a figurehead and sometimes a powerful position. In some countries, the mayor is elected by the citizens or by the city council.
Etymology: * (c. 1300) From maire (13th century), from maior, comparative of magnus.
Samuel Johnson's Dictionary
The chief magistrate of a corporation, who, in London and York, is called Lord Mayor.
Etymology: major, Lat.
My Lord, the mayor of London comes to greet you. William Shakespeare, Rich. III.
When the king once heard it; out of anger,
He sent command to the lord mayor strait
To stop the rumour. William Shakespeare, Henry VIII.
The mayor of this town locked up the gates of the city. Richard Knolles, Hist. of the Turks.
Wou’d’st thou not rather chuse a small renown,
To be the mayor of some poor, paltry town. Dryden.
the chief magistrate of a city or borough; the chief officer of a municipal corporation. In some American cities there is a city court of which the major is chief judge
Etymology: [OE. maire, F. maire, fr. L. major greater, higher, nobler, compar. of magnus great; cf. Sp. mayor. See Major, and cf. Merino.]
In many countries, a mayor is the highest-ranking officer in the municipal government of a town or a large urban city. In many municipal systems the mayor serves as chief executive officer and/or ceremonial official of many types of municipalities. Worldwide, there is a wide variance in local laws and customs regarding the powers and responsibilities of a mayor, as well as the means by which a mayor is elected or otherwise mandated.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
mā′ur, n. the chief magistrate of a city or borough:—fem. May′oress.—adj. May′oral.—ns. May′oralty, May′orship, the office of a mayor. [Fr. maire—L. major, comp. of magnus, great.]
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. _Particeps criminis._ 2. The head and front of our offending. 3. Polonius Pecksniff, who plays Bottom for a stipend. 4. A chaste, honorable, virtuous person whose private life is made inviolable by the libel laws. 5. A prickly sensation in the back of Folly and Revelry. 6. The culmination, zenith, equator and pediment of self-sufficient mediocrity. 7. A crow's-nest from which one may see the perpetually receding horizons of the Governorship and the Presidency. 8. A chef of morality. 9. Any person afflicted with primary, secondary or tertiary holiness. 10. A palm-reader. 11. A nebulous cluster of thought-embryons resolved into a gaseous state. 12. The nosebag of public decency. 13. The _alter ego_ of organized cant. 14. The critic of impure reason. 15. Lobster emeritus. 16. A person who takes an oath to love, honor and obey Tartuffe.
A socialist person with the accurate and specific ability, experience, skills, knowledge, leadership skills, qualifications, promotes and actions socialism, power to the people and socialist policies with the role and responsibility of managing a specific type of unity government department.
The Mayor of the City is a very knowledgeable and experienced leader.
Submitted by MaryC on March 13, 2020
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Mayor' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #4792
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Mayor' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1863
Rank popularity for the word 'Mayor' in Nouns Frequency: #1679
The numerical value of Mayor in Chaldean Numerology is: 6
The numerical value of Mayor in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Black lives do matter and as mayor, I commit we will take all necessary steps to prevent these kinds of incidents when at all possible.
A judge ordered the mayor's office to temporarily suspend the exhumation of the cadavers ... while he decides on an injunction we presented on behalf of the villagers, as we understand it, the exhumations have stopped.
I know that, as mayor, Julian Castro would n’t want the federal government coming in to tell you what to do with Julian Castro zoning laws or with Julian Castro rules, because Julian Castro have more skin in the game ; Julian Castro have more of an incentive to take care of the people that live in Julian Castro areas.
It never came up until I ran for mayor.
I'd like to talk about who we're running against. A billionaire who calls women fat broads and horse faced lesbians. And no, I'm not talking about Donald Trump, I'm talking about Mayor Bloomberg.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Mayor
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- alcaldeCatalan, Valencian
- Bürgermeisterin, BürgermeisterGerman
- alcalde, intendente, síndico, regenteSpanish
- alkate, auzapezBasque
- kaupunginjohtaja, määri, pormestariFinnish
- maire, bourgmestreFrench
- ראש עירייה, ראש עירHebrew
- borgarstjóri, bæjarstjóriIcelandic
- sindaco, primo cittadinoItalian
- borgmesteriKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- 市長, 시장Korean
- datuk bandarMalay
- мэр, градоначальник, бургомистрRussian
- градоначелник, gradonačelnik, градоначелница, gradonačelnicaSerbo-Croatian
- belediye başkanıTurkish
- 市長, thị trưởngVietnamese
- hisifal, sifal, jisifalVolapük
Get even more translations for Mayor »
Find a translation for the Mayor definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these Mayor definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"Mayor." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2023. Web. 29 Jan. 2023. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/Mayor>.