Definitions for Listen
Here are all the possible meanings and translations of the word Listen.
hear with intention
"Listen to the sound of this cello"
listen, hear, take heedverb
listen and pay attention
"Listen to your father"; "We must hear the expert before we make a decision"
heed, mind, listenverb
pay close attention to; give heed to
"Heed the advice of the old men"
To pay attention to a sound, to note.
To wait for a sound, such as a signal.
You should listen for the starting gun.
To accept or obey oral instruction.
Good children listen to their parents.
To hear (something or someone), to pay attention to.
Etymology: From listnen, from hlysnan, from *hlusinon (compare lüstern, luisteren and lauschen), from ḱlew-. Akin to rochluiniur 'I hear', clueo, κλαίω, κλέος, լամ, degjoj, from ant. glôj, glûej, слути, слѹшати, klausau 'to hear', Middle Persian, श्रु. More at loud.
Samuel Johnson's Dictionary
To hear; to attend. Obsolete.
Lady, vouchsafe to listen what I say. William Shakespeare.
One cried, God bless us! and, amen! the other;
As they had seen me with these hangman’s hands,
Listening their fear I could not say, amen. William Shakespeare.
He, that no more must say, is listened more
Than they whom youth and ease have taught to glose. William Shakespeare, Richard II.
The wonted roar was up amidst the woods,
And filled the air with barbarous dissonance,
At which I ceas’d and listen’d them a while. John Milton.
To hearken; to give attention.
Listen to me, and if you speak me fair,
I’ll tell you news. William Shakespeare, Taming of the Shrew.
Antigonus used often to go disguised, and listen at the tents of his soldiers; and at a time heard some that spoke very ill of him: whereupon he said, If you speak ill of me, you should go a little farther off. Francis Bacon, Apophthegms.
Listen, O isles, unto me, and hearken, ye people. Isa. xlix.
When we have occasion to listen, and give a more particular attention to some sound, the tympanum is drawn to a more than ordinary tension. William Holder, Elements of Speech.
On the green bank I sat, and listen’d long;
Nor till her lay was ended could I move,
But wish’d to dwell for ever in the grove. Dryden.
He shall be receiv’d with more regard,
And listen’d to, than modest truth is heard. Dryden.
To this humour most of our late comedies owe their success: the audience listens after nothing else. Addison.
to give close attention with the purpose of hearing; to give ear; to hearken; to attend
to give heed; to yield to advice; to follow admonition; to obey
to attend to
Listen is the third album by R&B singer TQ. It was released on August 31, 2004 in the United States and October 17, 2005 in the United Kingdom.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Listen' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2214
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Listen' in Written Corpus Frequency: #670
Rank popularity for the word 'Listen' in Verbs Frequency: #191
The numerical value of Listen in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of Listen in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
I’d just like to point out to people to follow their dreams and follow their passion, no matter what it is, don’t listen to other people. It’s your passion. And if that’s what’s going to make you happy, find an excuse to do it.
If you listen and look, it's questionable whether people are enjoying this, people are angry. The kids are crying... because adults are yelling at them. Because mom is embarrassing me and making a scene on the sidelines, and the coach never lets me handle the ball.
Listen, it's tough to be a 12-year-old, you're not quite a man, but you think you are. You think you know everything. Being driven into school every day and you see the front page and it's divorce ! THE BEST SEX I EVER HAD ! And you don't even know what that means.
The pandemic is still here, especially for those who are not vaccinated, get vaccinated now. If you don’t listen to me, listen to your doctor and do what your doctor tells you.
Listen, because America has essentially a two-party system, each of the parties represents a pretty wide divergent set of views, you've got a member here and a member there who are off the reservation. No big deal.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Listen
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- hoor, luisterAfrikaans
- نصت, استأنس, سمع, اطاع, أصغىArabic
- dinləmək, qulaq asmaqAzerbaijani
- паслу́хаць, слу́хацьBelarusian
- чу́я, послу́швам, послу́шам, чу́вам, слу́шам, ослу́швам се, ослу́шам се, вслу́швам се, вслу́шам сеBulgarian
- escoltarCatalan, Valencian
- poslouchat, slyšet, poslechnout, naslouchatCzech
- слꙑшатиOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- høre efter, lytteDanish
- zuhören, lauschen, hörenGerman
- oír, escucharSpanish
- kuulatama, kuulama, kuulma, tähele panemaEstonian
- entzun, jaramon egin, aditu, kasu eginBasque
- شنیدن, نیوشیدن, گوش دادن, گوش کردنPersian
- kuunnella, uskoaFinnish
- lurta, lurta eftir, hoyraFaroese
- guetter, écouter, tendre l'oreilleFrench
- cluinn, èisd, èistScottish Gaelic
- atender, oír, escoitarGalician
- האזין, שמע, הקשיבHebrew
- सुनना, कान लगानाHindi
- figyel, hallgatHungarian
- ենթարկվել, լսել, ականջ դնելArmenian
- hlusta, á, eftirIcelandic
- stare, dare, sentire, in, ascolto, dar retta, ascoltare, perItalian
- 聞く, 聴くJapanese
- тыңдау, есітуKazakh
- ស្ដាប់, ឮ, ស្ដាប់ឮKhmer
- 듣다, 들어주다, 들리다Korean
- گوێ دان, گوێ گرتن, گوێ لێبونKurdish
- тыңдоо, угуу, тыңшооKyrgyz
- audiō, exaudio, auscultoLatin
- óplètte, loestere, huuere, heureLimburgish, Limburgan, Limburger
- klausyti, girdėtiLithuanian
- dzirdēt, klausīties, klausītLatvian
- ऐकणे, सांगितलेले ऐकणेMarathi
- dengar, pasang telingaMalay
- naar, luisteren, wachten, horen, op, gehoorzamen, oplettenDutch
- høre, lystre, lytteNorwegian
- nandotan, babaamitam, noondaw, bizindaw, babaamendamOjibwe, Ojibwa
- usłuchać, słuchać, nasłuchiwać, wysłuchaćPolish
- غوږ نيول, اورولPashto, Pushto
- ouvir, escutarPortuguese
- audi, tarlar, tadler, tadlar, tedlarRomansh
- слу́шать, слы́шать, слу́шатьсяRussian
- aiscurtare, aiscultare, ascultareSardinian
- slušati, слушати, послушати, poslušati, чути, čutiSerbo-Croatian
- අහනවා, ඇහුම්කන් දෙනවාSinhala, Sinhalese
- poslúchať, počuť, slyšať, načúvať, počúvaťSlovak
- poslušati, slišati, ubogatiSlovene
- dëgjoj, prit, ndëgjoj, dëgjoAlbanian
- mamela, utlwaSouthern Sotho
- lyssna, på, lydaSwedish
- கேள், மெதுவா கேள்Tamil
- ఆలకించు, సమ్మతించు, విను, వినుటTelugu
- гӯш кардан, гӯш доданTajik
- ฟัง, ยินThai
- dinggin, kinig, rinig, pakinggan, dinig, narinig, makinigTagalog
- fanongoTonga (Tonga Islands)
- dinlemek, duymakTurkish
- послу́хати, слу́хатися, слу́хати, чу́тиUkrainian
- سننا, کان لگاناUrdu
- tinglamoq, eshitmoqUzbek
- chờ đợi, vâng lời, chờ, nghe, đợi cho, nghe theo, lắng nghe, tuân theo, để ý đếnVietnamese
Get even more translations for Listen »
Find a translation for the Listen definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)
Word of the Day
Would you like us to send you a FREE new word definition delivered to your inbox daily?
Discuss these Listen definitions with the community:
Use the citation below to add this definition to your bibliography:
"Listen." Definitions.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 10 Dec. 2022. <https://www.definitions.net/definition/Listen>.