the basis on which something is grounded
"there is little foundation for his objections"
an institution supported by an endowment
foundation, base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure, understructure(noun)
lowest support of a structure
"it was built on a base of solid rock"; "he stood at the foot of the tower"
education or instruction in the fundamentals of a field of knowledge
"he lacks the foundation necessary for advanced study"; "a good grounding in mathematics"
basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone(noun)
the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained
"the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture"
foundation garment, foundation(noun)
a woman's undergarment worn to give shape to the contours of the body
initiation, founding, foundation, institution, origination, creation, innovation, introduction, instauration(noun)
the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new
"she looked forward to her initiation as an adult"; "the foundation of a new scientific society"
The act of founding, fixing, establishing, or beginning to erect.
The foundation of his institute has been wrought with difficulty.
That upon which anything is founded; that on which anything stands, and by which it is supported; the lowest and supporting layer of a superstructure; groundwork; basis; underbuilding.
The lowest and supporting part or member of a wall, including the base course and footing courses; in a frame house, the whole substructure of masonry.
The foundations of this construction have been laid out.
A donation or legacy appropriated to support a charitable institution, and constituting a permanent fund; endowment.
That which is founded, or established by endowment; an endowed institution or charity.
The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is the parent organization of the Wiktionary collaborative project.
Cosmetic cream roughly skin-colored, designed to make the face appear uniform in color and texture.
Origin: From fundatio.
the act of founding, fixing, establishing, or beginning to erect
that upon which anything is founded; that on which anything stands, and by which it is supported; the lowest and supporting layer of a superstructure; groundwork; basis
the lowest and supporting part or member of a wall, including the base course (see Base course (a), under Base, n.) and footing courses; in a frame house, the whole substructure of masonry
a donation or legacy appropriated to support a charitable institution, and constituting a permanent fund; endowment
that which is founded, or established by endowment; an endowed institution or charity
Origin: [F. fondation, L. fundatio. See Found to establish.]
A foundation is a legal categorization of nonprofit organizations that will typically either donate funds and support to other organizations, or provide the source of funding for its own charitable purposes. This type of non-profit organization differs from a private foundation which is typically endowed by an individual or family.
Military Dictionary and Gazetteer
In military architecture, is that part of a building which is underground, or the mass of stone, brick, etc., which supports a building, or upon which the walls of a superstructure are raised; or it is the coffer or bed dug below the level of the ground to raise a building upon.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Foundation' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2674
Rank popularity for the word 'Foundation' in Nouns Frequency: #909
The numerical value of Foundation in Chaldean Numerology is: 3
The numerical value of Foundation in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Examples of Foundation in a Sentence
What the Clinton Foundation has said.
Good order is the foundation of all things.
The Foundation has no dealings with Iran whatsoever.
Diversity of opinion is the foundation of democracy.
To be able to start a foundation, I had to make money.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Foundation
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- أَوْقاف, رَفْع, إِيجاد, إِنْشاء, أساس, تَأْسِيس, إِشَادَة, حَبيس, حُبُس, حَبيسَةArabic
- нигеҙ, хәйриәBashkir
- фондация, основа, основаване, фундаментBulgarian
- fundació, fonamentsCatalan, Valencian
- nadace, založení, základyCzech
- grundlag, grundlæggelse, fundamentDanish
- Stiftung, Fundament, Foundation, Gründung, GrundlageGerman
- φον ντε τεν, θεμέλιο, σύσταση, ίδρυμα, ίδρυσηGreek
- fondo, fundamento, fondaĵoEsperanto
- fundación, cimiento, baseSpanish
- säätiö, perustus, peruspääoma, perusta, perustaminenFinnish
- fondement, fond de teint, fondationFrench
- bun-stèidhScottish Gaelic
- כינון, יסוד, ייסוד, קרן, בָּסִיס, תשתיתHebrew
- alapozó, AlapítványHungarian
- հիմնադրամ, հիմք, հիմնում, հիմնադրումArmenian
- stofnun, grunnur, meikIcelandic
- fondazione, fondamenta, fondareItalian
- 設立, ファンデーション, 基礎, 財団Japanese
- دهزگا, بناغه, دهسگاKurdish
- fundament, fundering, stichtingDutch
- stifting, stiftelseNorwegian Nynorsk
- stiftelse, Fundament, grunnmurNorwegian
- bindiiʼáNavajo, Navaho
- fundacja, fundament, założenie, podkład, ufundowaniePolish
- fundação, base, dote, fundamentoPortuguese
- fundație, temelie, fundamentare, fundament, înființare, fondare, fond de ten, fond, bază, întemeiereRomanian
- цоколь, основа, фонд, тональный крем, базис, фундамент, основание, учреждениеRussian
- بنياد, پِيڙهڪا, پِيڙههSindhi
- подлога, fundament, zasnivanje, osnivanje, temelj, podloga, fundiranje, zadužbina, fondacija, utemeljenjeSerbo-Croatian
- fond, grundplåt, arv, kapital, foundation, grund, donation, förmögenhet, bas, fundament, grundläggning, stiftelse, testamenteSwedish
- vakıf, yardım kurumu, fondöten, kāide, kuruluş, temelTurkish
Get even more translations for Foundation »
Find a translation for the Foundation definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Український (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)