surely, certainly, sure, for sure, for certain, sure enough, sure as shooting(adverb)
definitely or positively (`sure' is sometimes used informally for `surely')
"the results are surely encouraging"; "she certainly is a hard worker"; "it's going to be a good day for sure"; "they are coming, for certain"; "they thought he had been killed sure enough"; "he'll win sure as shooting"; "they sure smell good"; "sure he'll come"
In a way which is certain; with certainty.
Without doubt, surely; of course.
An emphatic affirmative answer.
Would you like it with ice? Certainly, and with lemon please.
without doubt or question; unquestionably
We certainly require some night rain for the garden and fields.Submitted by MaryC on May 30, 2020
Certainly vs. Definitely -- In this Grammar.com article you will learn the differences between Certainly and Definitely.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Certainly' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #572
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'Certainly' in Written Corpus Frequency: #323
Rank popularity for the word 'Certainly' in Adverbs Frequency: #71
The numerical value of Certainly in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of Certainly in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Examples of Certainly in a Sentence
Demand is still very strong and growing for those franchises, stan Smiths and Superstars certainly intend to keep them on a very high but not over-exposed level.
In a lot of ways Chris and Liam are definitely worlds ahead of me in terms of the entertainment industry and the experience it brings which I’m more than happy to concede to, it’s certainly not a bad thing but there are also things that make it a bit harder for me because of the preconceptions that come along with me being a Hemsworth.
I mean [ Fletcher ] won an Academy Award doing it, so there's no where to go but down, i absolutely feel that pressure because I have an enormous reverence for Louis Fletcher and for Louise Fletcher portrayal in that movie and for the movie itself. This story stands on its own in Sixth Sense that we are starting many years prior to when we meet Nurse Ratched in the movie' Cuckoos Nest,' so I know that I'm not going to be trying to emulate what she did because this is prior to her doing what she did in the movie. I have a little bit of leeway there, but I'm certainly thinking about it.
That's becoming more and more apparent, we have already, as many departments have begun to do, look at how to expand our mental health training when we find it certainly necessary to do so. Because it appears that we're seeing more and more of these cases across the country in which police are engaging with those who appear to be in distress.
I'd go through a process and get it declassified frankly ... certainly waterboarding at a minimum.
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Certainly
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- بالتأكيد, بدون شك, بدون نقاش, من المؤكدArabic
- разбира се, несъмнено, безспорноBulgarian
- certamentCatalan, Valencian
- jistě, zajisté, nepochybně, určitěCzech
- zweifellos, natürlich, gewiss, freilich, sicherlich, sicherGerman
- βεβαίως, ασφαλώς, σίγουραGreek
- ciertamente, sin duda, por supuestoSpanish
- بطور محرزPersian
- totta kai, epäilemättä, kyllä kiitos, todellakin, ilman muuta, varmastiFinnish
- sans nul doute, pour sûr, sûrement, bien sûr, certainement, sans aucun doute, évidemmentFrench
- בוודאי, בוודאותHebrew
- անշուշտ, իհարկե, անկասկածArmenian
- もちろん, 絶対, 必ず, 確実, 全く, 確かに, その通りJapanese
- anaoa, apa ia, āpāiaMāori
- beslist, voorzeker, en of, zeker, waarlijkDutch
- zdecydowanie, z pewnością, na pewnoPolish
- sem dúvida, certamentePortuguese
- desigur, bineînțelesRomanian
- несомненно, конечно, непременно, безусловно, навернякаRussian
- несумњиво, dakako, свакако, svakako, sigurno, naravno, zacijelo, doista, nesumnjivo, наравно, дакакоSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for Certainly »
Find a translation for the Certainly definition in other languages:
Select another language:
- - Select -
- 简体中文 (Chinese - Simplified)
- 繁體中文 (Chinese - Traditional)
- Español (Spanish)
- Esperanto (Esperanto)
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Português (Portuguese)
- Deutsch (German)
- العربية (Arabic)
- Français (French)
- Русский (Russian)
- ಕನ್ನಡ (Kannada)
- 한국어 (Korean)
- עברית (Hebrew)
- Gaeilge (Irish)
- Українська (Ukrainian)
- اردو (Urdu)
- Magyar (Hungarian)
- मानक हिन्दी (Hindi)
- Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Italiano (Italian)
- தமிழ் (Tamil)
- Türkçe (Turkish)
- తెలుగు (Telugu)
- ภาษาไทย (Thai)
- Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese)
- Čeština (Czech)
- Polski (Polish)
- Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian)
- Românește (Romanian)
- Nederlands (Dutch)
- Ελληνικά (Greek)
- Latinum (Latin)
- Svenska (Swedish)
- Dansk (Danish)
- Suomi (Finnish)
- فارسی (Persian)
- ייִדיש (Yiddish)
- հայերեն (Armenian)
- Norsk (Norwegian)
- English (English)