besides, in any case(adverb)
making an additional point; anyway
"I don't want to go to a restaurant; besides, we can't afford it"; "she couldn't shelter behind him all the time and in any case he wasn't always with her"
besides, too, also, likewise, as well(adverb)
"he has a Mercedes, too"
also; in addition
in addition, in addition to
other than; except for; instead of
I don't want to go anywhere besides India.
Origin: See -s#Etymology 3
alt. of Beside
over and above; separate or distinct from; in addition to; other than; else than. See Beside, prep., 3, and Syn. under Beside
Besides is the final release from 90's alternative rock band Sugar. As the title suggests, it collected the various B-sides from their previously released singles. The album also contained live and remixed versions of existing tracks from the band's two full albums and one EP, as well as several studio and live versions of tracks that had been unavailable on any of their previous albums. The CD also included a QuickTime video for the single "Gee Angel", although this was not advertised on the CD packaging.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
be-sīdz′, prep. and adv. in addition, otherwise, aside: over and above, in addition to, away from. [Beside, with the s of the adv. gen.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'Besides' in Adverbs Frequency: #311
The numerical value of Besides in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of Besides in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Examples of Besides in a Sentence
He that plants trees loves others besides himself.
But I don't begrudge it, besides, my pay was not bad.
Nothing ever breaks the heart, besides what it loves.
This world is the will to power - and nothing besides!
Yesterday is no longer valuable, besides what it taught us.
Images & Illustrations of Besides
Popularity rank by frequency of use
Translations for Besides
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- علاوة على ذلك, إلا, باستثناءArabic
- освен това, освен, също, в допълнениеBulgarian
- a més, a més a més, d'altra bandaCatalan, Valencian
- weiterhin, darüber hinaus, außer, außerdemGerman
- εκτός, επιπροσθέτως, εξάλλου, επιπλέον, άλλωστε, πλην, συν τοις άλλοιςGreek
- krome, aldone al, krom, cetere, aldone, plueEsperanto
- además, de lo contrario, aparte de, excepto, si no, aparte, salvoSpanish
- بجز, جزPersian
- sitä paitsi, paitsi, lisäksi, muu kuin, muutenFinnish
- du reste, d'un autre côté, excepté, sauf, de plus, de surcroît, en plus, en outre, au reste, par surcroît, par ailleurs, d'autre part, sinonFrench
- njonkenWestern Frisian
- a bharrachd air, a thuilleadh airScottish Gaelic
- dayèHaitian Creole
- ezenkívül, ezenfelülHungarian
- ad eccezione di, oltre a, inoltreItalian
- なお, さらに, 除いて, ほかに, 以外, その上に, それに, に加えてJapanese
- behalve, naastDutch
- oprócz, poza, poza tymPolish
- além disso, além de, exceto, ademais, [[fora]] [[isso]], a não serPortuguese
- исключая, более того, кроме, кроме того, за исключением, сверх того, к тому же, помимоRussian
- póleg, rázenSlovene
Get even more translations for Besides »
Find a translation for the Besides definition in other languages:
Select another language: