shrivel, shrivel up, shrink, wither(verb)
wither, as with a loss of moisture
"The fruit dried and shriveled"
lose freshness, vigor, or vitality
"Her bloom was fading"
to fade; to lose freshness; to become sapless; to become sapless; to dry or shrivel up
to lose or want animal moisture; to waste; to pin/ away, as animal bodies
to lose vigor or power; to languish; to pass away
to cause to fade, and become dry
to cause to shrink, wrinkle, or decay, for want of animal moisture
to cause to languish, perish, or pass away; to blight; as, a reputation withered by calumny
Origin: [OE. wideren; probably the same word as wederen to weather (see Weather, v. & n.); or cf. G. verwittern to decay, to be weather-beaten, Lith. vysti to wither.]
Wither is a fictional character, a mutant appearing in comic books published by Marvel Comics. He has been a member of the student body at the Xavier Institute, a member of the Hellions training squad, and a supervillain as a part of Selene's Coven.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
with′ėr, v.i. to fade or become dry: to lose freshness: to shrink: waste.—v.t. to cause to dry up: to cause to decay, perish, waste.—adj. With′ered, dried up.—n. With′eredness.—adj. With′ering, blasting, blighting, scorching.—n. With′ering-floor, the drying-floor of a malt-house.—adv. With′eringly. [A.S. wedrian, to expose to weather.]
The numerical value of wither in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of wither in Pythagorean Numerology is: 2
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale Her infinite variety.
Desire makes everything blossom possession makes everything wither and fade.
A man either lives life as it happens to him, meets it head-on and licks it, or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Age cannot wither her, nor custom staleHer infinite variety other women cloyThe appetites they feed, but she makes hungryWhere most she satisfies.
Into this Universe, and Why not knowing Nor Whence, like Water, willy-nilly flowing And out of it, as Wind along the Waste, I know not Wither, willy-nilly blowing.
Images & Illustrations of wither
Translations for wither
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- musteir, marcir, pansirCatalan, Valencian
- uvadat, scvrknout se, sesypat se, vadnout, vyschnout, usychat, ochromit, zhroutit seCzech
- verdorren, verwelken, vertrocknen, welkenGerman
- μαραίνομαι, παθαίνω μαρασμό, μαραίνωGreek
- marchitar, decaerSpanish
- jäykistyä, jähmettyä, kuihduttaa, lakastua, lakastuttaa, kuihtuaFinnish
- flétrir, fanerFrench
- mirrar, murchar, muchar, rechumirGalician
- elfonnyad, elszárít, kiszárít, elszárad, elhervaszt, elhervadHungarian
- avvizzire, inaridirsi, raggrinzire, appassire, inaridire, essiccareItalian
- çilmisîn, çilmisandinKurdish
- murchar, mirrarPortuguese
- ofili, veștejiRomanian
- увя́нуть, засо́хнуть, завя́нуть, увяда́ть, со́хнуть, вя́нутьRussian
- venuti, sahnutiSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for wither »
Find a translation for the wither definition in other languages:
Select another language: