Definitions for stubbornˈstʌb ərn
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word stubborn
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
unreasonably or perversely obstinate; unyielding.
fixed or set in purpose or opinion; resolute.
obstinately maintained, as a course of action:
difficult to handle, treat, etc.:
a stubborn pain.
* Syn: stubborn , obstinate , dogged , persistent imply fixity of purpose or condition and resistance to change. stubborn and obstinate both imply resistance to advice, entreaty, protest, or force; but stubborn implies an innate characteristic and is the term usu. used when referring to inanimate things: a stubborn child; a stubborn lock; an obstinate customer. dogged implies willfulness and tenacity, esp. in the face of obstacles: dogged determination. persistent implies having staying or lasting qualities, resoluteness, and perseverance: persistent questioning.
Origin of stubborn:
1350–1400; ME stiborn(e), styborne, stuborn, of uncert. orig.
stubborn, obstinate, unregenerate(adj)
tenaciously unwilling or marked by tenacious unwillingness to yield
not responding to treatment
"a stubborn infection"; "a refractory case of acne"; "stubborn rust stains"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
refusing to change an opinion or decision
She can be very stubborn.; his stubborn belief that change is not good
difficult to stop or fix
a stubborn cough; a stubborn stain; They stubbornly refuse to apologize.; stubbornly high food prices; His stubbornness finally got him into trouble.
Refusing to move or to change one's opinion; obstinate; firmly resisting.
firm as a stub or stump; stiff; unbending; unyielding; persistent; hence, unreasonably obstinate in will or opinion; not yielding to reason or persuasion; refractory; harsh; -- said of persons and things; as, stubborn wills; stubborn ore; a stubborn oak; as stubborn as a mule
Translations for stubborn
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
obstinate, or unwilling to yield, obey etc
He's as stubborn as a donkey.
- teimosoPortuguese (BR)
- πεισματάρης, πεισματικόςGreek
- हठीला, अड़यल, अटल, अनम्यHindi
- tvrdoglav, svojeglavCroatian
- keras kepalaIndonesian
- þrár, þrjóskurIcelandic
- testardo, ostinatoItalian
- 고집이 센Korean
- sta, gjenstridig, umedgjørligNorwegian
- سرتمبه، لجوج، ځیلیPashto
- envis, halsstarrigSwedish
- 頑固的Chinese (Trad.)
- упертий; непіддатливийUkrainian
- ضدی یا اڑیلUrdu
- bướng bỉnh, ngoan cốVietnamese
- 顽固的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for stubborn »
Find a translation for the stubborn definition in other languages:
Select another language: