Definitions for squareskwɛər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word square
(geometry) a plane rectangle with four equal sides and four right angles; a four-sided regular polygon
"you can compute the area of a square if you know the length of its sides"
square, second power(noun)
the product of two equal terms
"nine is the second power of three"; "gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance"
public square, square(noun)
an open area at the meeting of two or more streets
something approximating the shape of a square
someone who doesn't understand what is going on
square, square toes(noun)
a formal and conservative person with old-fashioned views
any artifact having a shape similar to a plane geometric figure with four equal sides and four right angles
"a checkerboard has 64 squares"
a hand tool consisting of two straight arms at right angles; used to construct or test right angles
"the carpenter who built this room must have lost his square"
having four equal sides and four right angles or forming a right angle
"a square peg in a round hole"; "a square corner"
characterized by honesty and fairness
"straight dealing"; "a square deal"
hearty, satisfying, solid, square, substantial(adj)
providing abundant nourishment
"a hearty meal"; "good solid food"; "ate a substantial breakfast"; "four square meals a day"
leaving no balance
"my account with you is now all square"
square(a), straightforward, straight(adj)
without evasion or compromise
"a square contradiction"; "he is not being as straightforward as it appears"
rigidly conventional or old-fashioned
square, square up(verb)
"Square the circle"; "square the wood with a file"
raise to the second power
cause to match, as of ideas or acts
position so as to be square
"He squared his shoulders"
be compatible with
"one idea squares with another"
pay someone and settle a debt
"I squared with him"
turn the paddle; in canoeing
turn the oar, while rowing
in a straight direct way
"looked him squarely in the eye"; "ran square into me"
in a square shape
"a squarely cut piece of paper"; "folded the sheet of paper square"
firmly and solidly
"hit the ball squarely"; "the bat met the ball squarely"; "planted his great bulk square before his enemy"
Any simple object with four nearly straight and nearly equal sides meeting at nearly right angles.
An L- or T-shaped tool used to place objects or draw lines at right angles.
There are so many uses for the square, in fact, that a new model will usually come complete with a booklet enumerating its applications. - The Carpenter's Square
An open space in a town, not necessarily square in shape, often containing trees, seating and other features pleasing to the eye.
A cell in a grid.
You may not move a piece to a square already occupied by one of your own pieces.
A polygon with four sides of equal length and four angles of 90 degrees; a regular quadrilateral whose angles are all 90 degrees.
The second power of a number, value, term or expression.
64 is the square of 8.
A body of troops drawn up in a square formation.
A socially conventional person; typically associated with the 1950s
The symbol # on a telephone; hash.
Enter your account number followed by a square.
To adjust so as to align with or place at a right angle to something else.
The casting was mounted on a milling machine so that its sides could be squared.
To adjust or adapt so as to bring into harmony with something.
I cannot square the results of the experiment with my hypothesis.
Of a value, term or expression, to multiply by itself; to raise to the second power.
To draw, with a pair of compasses and a straightedge only, a square with the same area as.
square the circle
To make a short low pass sideways across the pitch
The central area of a cricket field, containing several pitches laid out next to one another - only one being used at a time.
An ideal playing area is roughly circular in shape with a central area, the cricket square, measuring 27.44 metres by 27.44 metres and boundaries 45.75 metres from the sides of the square.
A unit of measurement of area, equal to a 10 foot by 10 foot square, ie. 100 square feet or roughly 9.3 square metres. Used in real estate for the size of a house or its rooms, though progressively being replaced by square metres in metric countries such as Australia.
A unit used in measuring roof area equivalent to 100 square feet (9.29 m2) of roof area.
A dessert cut into rectangular pieces, or a piece of such a dessert.
A square meal.
Even when times were tough, we got three squares a day.
Shaped like a square (the polygon).
At right angles to.
Used in the names of units of area formed by multiplying a unit of length by itself.
It may be prison, but at least I'm getting three square meals a day.
I'm just looking for a square deal on my car repair.
The sides were square at the end of the half.
Socially conventional; boring.
in line with the batsman's popping crease.
Correctly aligned with respect to something else
Origin: From esquarre ( équerre), from Vulgar Latin *, from quadra.
the corner, or angle, of a figure
a parallelogram having four equal sides and four right angles
hence, anything which is square, or nearly so
a square piece or fragment
a pane of glass
a certain number of lines, forming a portion of a column, nearly square; -- used chiefly in reckoning the prices of advertisements in newspapers
one hundred superficial feet
an area of four sides, generally with houses on each side; sometimes, a solid block of houses; also, an open place or area for public use, as at the meeting or intersection of two or more streets
an instrument having at least one right angle and two or more straight edges, used to lay out or test square work. It is of several forms, as the T square, the carpenter's square, the try-square., etc
hence, a pattern or rule
the product of a number or quantity multiplied by itself; thus, 64 is the square of 8, for 8 / 8 = 64; the square of a + b is a2 + 2ab + b2
exact proportion; justness of workmanship and conduct; regularity; rule
a body of troops formed in a square, esp. one formed to resist a charge of cavalry; a squadron
fig.: The relation of harmony, or exact agreement; equality; level
the position of planets distant ninety degrees from each other; a quadrate
the act of squaring, or quarreling; a quarrel
the front of a woman's dress over the bosom, usually worked or embroidered
having four equal sides and four right angles; as, a square figure
forming a right angle; as, a square corner
having a shape broad for the height, with rectilineal and angular rather than curving outlines; as, a man of a square frame
exactly suitable or correspondent; true; just
rendering equal justice; exact; fair; honest, as square dealing
even; leaving no balance; as, to make or leave the accounts square
leaving nothing; hearty; vigorous
at right angles with the mast or the keel, and parallel to the horizon; -- said of the yards of a square-rigged vessel when they are so braced
to form with four sides and four right angles
to form with right angles and straight lines, or flat surfaces; as, to square mason's work
to compare with, or reduce to, any given measure or standard
to adjust; to regulate; to mold; to shape; to fit; as, to square our actions by the opinions of others
to make even, so as leave no remainder of difference; to balance; as, to square accounts
to multiply by itself; as, to square a number or a quantity
to hold a quartile position respecting
to place at right angles with the keel; as, to square the yards
to accord or agree exactly; to be consistent with; to conform or agree; to suit; to fit
to go to opposite sides; to take an attitude of offense or defense, or of defiance; to quarrel
to take a boxing attitude; -- often with up, sometimes with off
In geometry, a square is a regular quadrilateral. This means that it has four equal sides and four equal angles. It can also be defined as a rectangle in which two adjacent sides have equal length. A square with vertices ABCD would be denoted ABCD. The square is the n=2 case of the families of n-hypercubes and n-orthoplexes.
Square is making commerce easy for everyone. Starting with a free credit card reader for the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices, Square Reader allows anyone to accept credit cards anywhere, anytime, for a low transaction rate of 2.75 percent per swipe, with no hidden fees. Square Register serves as a full point-of-sale system for businesses to accept payments, manage items, and share menu and location information. Square Wallet, available in the US, is the most seamless way to pay, enabling individuals to pay at their favorite local businesses, discover new ones nearby, explore menu listings, and store receipts. Founded in 2009, and headquartered in San Francisco, Square is currently available in the U.S. and Canada. More information is available at squareup.com.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'square' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2529
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'square' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1990
Rank popularity for the word 'square' in Nouns Frequency: #901
Rank popularity for the word 'square' in Adjectives Frequency: #496
Translations for square
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- vierkant, pleinAfrikaans
- مربع, ميدانArabic
- kvadrat, meydanAzerbaijani
- триъгълник, линеал, площа́д, квадра́т, квадрат, квадратен, повдигам на квадратBulgarian
- quadrat, plaça, quadrarCatalan, Valencian
- buňka, křížek, čtverec, kvadrát, pole, úhelník, druhá mocnina, náměstí, poctivý, čtvercový, férový, kolmý, vydatný, výživný, čtvereční, nudný, čestnýCzech
- sgwâr, pedrongl, petrualWelsh
- torv, kvadratDanish
- Quadrat, Spießer, Platz, Doppelkreuz, Feld, Schachfeld, spießig, rechtwinklig, quadrieren, quadratischGerman
- τετραγωνικό, πλατεία, τετράγωνο, γνώμονας, δίεση, τετραγωνικός, ορθογώνιος, εξισώνω, υψώνω στο τετράγωνο, τετράγωνος, κανονίζωGreek
- kvadrato, placo, kvadratigi, kvadrataEsperanto
- almohadilla, anticuado, plaza, soso, zanahorio, carca, cartabón, carroza, cuadro, cabeza cuadrada, casilla, cuadrado, escuadra, cuadriculado, alinear, resolver, elevar al cuadrado, perpendicular, cuadrarSpanish
- väljak, platsEstonian
- میدان, مربع, چهار گوشPersian
- neliö, neliöjalka, suorakulma, toinen potenssi, aukio, tori, ruutu, risuaita, tavallinen, neliöön, ratkaista, suorakulmaisesti, selittää, potenssiin, nähden, suoraan kulmaan, neliöidä, nelikulmainen, neliFinnish
- équerre, place, carré, case, carreau, élever au carréFrench
- uimhir chearnach, cearnóg an bhaile, hais, cearnóg, cearnógachIrish
- ceàrn-righailt, cromadh-dìreach, ceàrnag, ceàrnan, ceàrnagachScottish Gaelic
- cadro, cadradoGalician
- kerrin, faaieManx
- סולמית, ריבוע, כיכרHebrew
- वर्ग, वर्गाकारHindi
- kareHaitian Creole
- tér, mező, négyzet, négyszögletes, kockafejű, merőleges, derékszögűHungarian
- քառակուսի, հրապարակArmenian
- resolver, quadrarInterlingua
- persegi, lapangan, pagar, pangkat dua, kuadrat, kotak, segiempatIndonesian
- torg, ferningur, ferningstala, réttskeið, annað, veldi, fer-, hornréttur, ferningslagaIcelandic
- piazza, casella, quadratoItalian
- 平方, 広場, 正方形, 平方形, 曲尺, 四角いJapanese
- 廣場, 광장, 정사각형Korean
- kvadratas, kampainis, aikštėLithuanian
- kvadrāts, skvērsLatvian
- porowhā rite, tapawhāMāori
- квадрат, пло́штад, тарабаMacedonian
- ചത്വരം, വര്ഗ്ഗം, സമചതുരം, കവലMalayalam
- талбай, квадратMongolian
- orang skema, perkakas, hash, dataran, kaki persegi, kuasa dua, seorang yang sosialnya konvensional, segi empat sama, skema, persegiMalay
- torg, plass, firkanttast, kvadrat, firkantet, firkanta, kvadratisk, kvadrat-, løse, kvadrere, vinkelrett påNorwegian
- markt, plaats, tweede macht, kwadraat, hekje, vierkant, square, winkelhaak, veld, plein, oplossen, kwadrateren, tot de tweede macht verheffen, vierkanteDutch
- firkanttast, plass, kvadrat, torg, firkanta, løyse, kvadrat-, kvadratisk, kvadrere, vinkelrett påNorwegian Nynorsk
- dikʼą́Navajo, Navaho
- kątownik, skwer, węgielnica, plac, kwadrat, podnosić do kwadratu, podnosić do drugiej potęgi, kwadratowyPolish
- sustenido, casa, quadrado, esquadro, careta, praça, alinhar, perpendicular, resolver, [[elevar]] [[ao quadrado]]Portuguese
- piețe, pătrat, cvadrat, echer, piațăRomanian
- по́ле, квадра́т, уго́льник, сквер, обыва́тель, пло́щадь, решётка, квадратныйRussian
- kvadrat, vinkl, drugi stepen, trg, винкла, тараба, квадрат, prav ugao, други степен, прав угао, vinkla, винкл, трг, tarabaSerbo-Croatian
- štvorec, námestieSlovak
- kvadrat, trgSlovene
- katror, sheshAlbanian
- fyrkant, kvadrat, vinkelhake, torg, ruta, brädgård, kvadratisk, fyrkantig, kvadrat-, kvadrera, vinkelrät motSwedish
- చతురస్రం, వర్గం, చదరపు, చతురస్రTelugu
- meýdan, kwadratTurkmen
- kare, meydanTurkish
- квадрат, пло́ща, майда́нUkrainian
- maydon, kvadratUzbek
- 廣場, quảng trường, vuôngVietnamese
- feled, cögafeledVolapük
- cwåré, cwårêyeWalloon
Get even more translations for square »
Find a translation for the square definition in other languages:
Select another language: