Definitions for proprietaryprəˈpraɪ ɪˌtɛr i
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word proprietary
an unincorporated business owned by a single person who is responsible for its liabilities and entitled to its profits
protected by trademark or patent or copyright; made or produced or distributed by one having exclusive rights
"`Tylenol' is a proprietary drug of which `acetaminophen' is the generic form"
Of or relating to property or ownership, as proprietary rights.
Of or relating to the quality of being an owner, as the proprietary class.
Manufactured exclusively by the owner of intellectual property rights (IPR), as with a patent or trade secret.
The continuous profitability of the company is based on its many proprietary products.
Privately owned, as a proprietary lake.
Possessive, jealous, or territorial.
Origin: From propriétaire, from proprietarius. Compare with the Latin proprietas, and proprius.
a proprietor or owner; one who has exclusive title to a thing; one who possesses, or holds the title to, a thing in his own right
a body proprietors, taken collectively
a monk who had reserved goods and effects to himself, notwithstanding his renunciation of all at the time of profession
belonging, or pertaining, to a proprietor; considered as property; owned; as, proprietary medicine
Origin: [L. proprietarius: cf. F. propritaire. See Propriety, and cf. Proprietor.]
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. In marketroid-speak, superior; implies a product imbued with exclusive magic by the unmatched brilliance of the company's own hardware or software designers. 2. In the language of hackers and users, inferior; implies a product not conforming to open-systems standards, and thus one that puts the customer at the mercy of a vendor able to gouge freely on service and upgrade charges after the initial sale has locked the customer in. Often used in the phrase “proprietary crap”. 3. Synonym for closed-source or non-free, e.g. software issued without license rights permitting the public to independently review, develop and redistribute it.Proprietary software should be distinguished from commercial software. It is possible for software to be commercial (that is, intended to make a profit for the producers) without being proprietary. The reverse is also possible, for example in binary-only freeware.
The numerical value of proprietary in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of proprietary in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
By using their own proprietary delivery platforms with other prostaglandin drugs they could become major competitors to Allergan in the future.
Freightquote is a high quality, innovative, growth company that brings a proven model serving smaller businesses, its proprietary e-commerce technology allows shippers to easily access competitive rates.
Following Occidental Petroleum's announcement in late 2014 of its intention to pull back from proprietary trading of crude oil, SOCAR Trading took the opportunity to recruit Phibro's London trading team and increase significantly its presence in the London oil market.
The collaboration between secretaries of state, election officials and the voting system manufacturers on the matter of enforcing this black box proprietary code secrecy with election systems, is nothing less than the commoditization and monetization of American Democracy.
Between the black box proprietary code, barebones computers we call voting machines and a mass of completely unqualified election officials, our election system is up for grabs to anybody with even a modest interest and some script kiddie capability. The cyber-kinetic attack surface here is wide open.
Images & Illustrations of proprietary
Translations for proprietary
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- de propiedad, propietarioSpanish
- omistus, alkuperäis-, oma, alkuperäinen, omistava, omistajaFinnish
- proprietar, de proprietateRomanian
- проприетарный, собственнический, частный, приватный, патентованныйRussian
- originalan, vlasnički, licenciranSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for proprietary »
Find a translation for the proprietary definition in other languages:
Select another language: