Definitions for poachpoʊtʃ
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word poach
"people are poaching elephants for their ivory"
cook in a simmering liquid
to cook something in simmering water
To become soft or muddy.
Chalky and clay lands chap in summer, and poach in winter. uE000186674uE001 Mortimer.
To make soft or muddy.
Cattle coming to drink had punched and poached the river bank into a mess of mud.
to take game or fish illegally while trespassing on someone's property
to take anything illegally or unfairly
to cause an employee or customer to switch from a competing company to your own company
to cook, as eggs, by breaking them into boiling water; also, to cook with butter after breaking in a vessel
to rob of game; to pocket and convey away by stealth, as game; hence, to plunder
to steal or pocket game, or to carry it away privately, as in a bag; to kill or destroy game contrary to law, especially by night; to hunt or fish unlawfully; as, to poach for rabbits or for salmon
to stab; to pierce; to spear, as fish
to force, drive, or plunge into anything
to make soft or muddy by trampling
to begin and not complete
to become soft or muddy
Origin: [F. pocher to place in a pocket, to poach eggs (the yolk of the egg being as it were pouched in the white), from poche pocket, pouch. See Pouch, v. & n.]
Translations for poach
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- pochieren, wildern, abwerbenGerman
- poĉi, ŝtelĉasiEsperanto
- escalfar, recolectar furtivamente, talar furtivamente, practicar furtivismo, cazar cabeza, pescar furtivamente, cazar furtivamente, quitar furtivamente, hurtarSpanish
- hautua, [[metsästää]] [[salaa]], pehmetä, salakalastaa, kaapata, pehmentää, [[kalastaa]] [[salaa]], hauduttaa, salametsästääFinnish
- débaucher, détourner, pocher, braconnerFrench
- poidsigScottish Gaelic
- 密猟, 密漁, 横取りするJapanese
- переманивать, переманитьRussian
- tjuvjaga, tjuvfiskaSwedish
Get even more translations for poach »
Find a translation for the poach definition in other languages:
Select another language: