opposition, opponent, opposite(noun)
a contestant that you are matched against
adversary, antagonist, opponent, opposer, resister(adj)
someone who offers opposition
characterized by active hostility
"opponent (or opposing) armies"
An individual or group who is a rival of another.
One who attempts to stop the progression of.
One who objects to.
In team sports, a player of an opposite team.
Origin: from opponere, to oppose
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ō-pō′nent, adj. opposing in action, speech, &c.: placed in front.—n. one who opposes.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'opponent' in Nouns Frequency: #1360
The numerical value of opponent in Chaldean Numerology is: 4
The numerical value of opponent in Pythagorean Numerology is: 7
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Never ascribe to an opponent motives meaner than your own.
My opponent was limping so I saw that something was wrong, i had to just focus on my game and kind of try to make as many balls as possible in the point.
Hence that general is skilful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skilful in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack.
Once you agree upon the price you and your family must pay for success, it enables you to ignore the minor hurts, the opponent's pressure, and the temporary failures.
I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me.
Images & Illustrations of opponent
Translations for opponent
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- oponentCatalan, Valencian
- protihráč, protivník, oponentCzech
- Gegenspieler, GegnerGerman
- opoziciulo, kontraŭuloEsperanto
- opponentti, vastaväittäjä, vastustaja, vastaehdokasFinnish
- mótherji, andstæðingurIcelandic
- oppositore, oppositriceItalian
- 敵, 相手Japanese
- 相對, 상대Korean
- соперник, противникMacedonian
- opponent, tegenstanderDutch
- przeciwniczka, przeciwnik, oponentka, oponentPolish
- oponente, adversário, rivalPortuguese
- oponent, adversarRomanian
- противник, оппонентRussian
- oponent, protivnikSerbo-Croatian
- ప్రత్యర్థి, వ్యతిరేకిTelugu
- rakip, karşıtTurkish
- 對手, đối thủVietnamese
Get even more translations for opponent »
Find a translation for the opponent definition in other languages:
Select another language: