Definitions for opponentəˈpoʊ nənt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word opponent
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
a person who is on an opposing side in a game, controversy, or the like; adversary.
(adj.)being opposite, as in position.
opposing; adverse; antagonistic.
Anat. bringing parts together or into opposition, as a muscle.
Origin of opponent:
1580–90; < L oppōnent-, s. of oppōnēns, prp. of oppōnere to place over, against
opposition, opponent, opposite(noun)
a contestant that you are matched against
adversary, antagonist, opponent, opposer, resister(adj)
someone who offers opposition
characterized by active hostility
"opponent (or opposing) armies"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
sb who competes or fights against you
his opponent in the boxing ring
sb who disagrees with sb or sth
a fierce opponent of illegal immigration
An individual or group who is a rival of another.
One who attempts to stop the progression of.
One who objects to.
In team sports, a player of an opposite team.
Origin: from opponere, to oppose
Translations for opponent
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a person who opposes
an opponent of the government; He beat his opponent by four points.
- teenstander, opponentAfrikaans
- adversárioPortuguese (BR)
- der/die Gegner(in)German
- adversario, oponenteSpanish
- دشمن؛ رقیبFarsi
- protivnik, suparnikCroatian
- mótherji, andstæðingurIcelandic
- priešininkas, varžovas, oponentasLithuanian
- oponents; pretinieksLatvian
- motstander, opponentNorwegian
- دشمن؛ رقیبPersian
- adversar; persoană din opoziţieRomanian
- противник; оппонентRussian
- motståndare, motspelare, opponentSwedish
- hasım, rakipTurkish
- 反對者，對手Chinese (Trad.)
- опонент; противникUkrainian
- địch thủVietnamese
- 反对者，对手Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for opponent »
Find a translation for the opponent definition in other languages:
Select another language: