Definitions for opponentəˈpoʊ nənt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word opponent
opposition, opponent, opposite(noun)
a contestant that you are matched against
adversary, antagonist, opponent, opposer, resister(adj)
someone who offers opposition
characterized by active hostility
"opponent (or opposing) armies"
An individual or group who is a rival of another.
One who attempts to stop the progression of.
One who objects to.
In team sports, a player of an opposite team.
Origin: from opponere, to oppose
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'opponent' in Nouns Frequency: #1360
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Never ascribe to an opponent motives meaner than your own.
You can absolutely lay your opponent out without saying a bad word.
It is not your opponent but your weaknesses that hurt you the most.
He is the luckiest Russian ever to have drawn an opponent like Obama.
Under Armour has proven to be a formidable opponent in the sponsorship arena.
Images & Illustrations of opponent
Translations for opponent
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- oponentCatalan, Valencian
- protihráč, protivník, oponentCzech
- Gegenspieler, GegnerGerman
- opoziciulo, kontraŭuloEsperanto
- opponentti, vastaväittäjä, vastustaja, vastaehdokasFinnish
- mótherji, andstæðingurIcelandic
- oppositore, oppositriceItalian
- 敵, 相手Japanese
- 相對, 상대Korean
- соперник, противникMacedonian
- opponent, tegenstanderDutch
- przeciwniczka, przeciwnik, oponentka, oponentPolish
- oponente, adversário, rivalPortuguese
- oponent, adversarRomanian
- противник, оппонентRussian
- oponent, protivnikSerbo-Croatian
- ప్రత్యర్థి, వ్యతిరేకిTelugu
- rakip, karşıtTurkish
- 對手, đối thủVietnamese
Get even more translations for opponent »
Find a translation for the opponent definition in other languages:
Select another language: