therefore, hence, thence, thus, so(adverb)
(used to introduce a logical conclusion) from that fact or reason or as a result
"therefore X must be true"; "the eggs were fresh and hence satisfactory"; "we were young and thence optimistic"; "it is late and thus we must go"; "the witness is biased and so cannot be trusted"
from this place
"get thee hence!"
from this time
"a year hence it will be forgotten"
from here, from this place, away
in the future from now
A year hence it will be forgotten.
as a result; therefore, for this reason
from this time, from now
The plane will leave two months hence.
Origin: A later spelling, retaining the breathy -s, of hennes, (henne + adverbial genitive ending -s), from heonan, from a West Germanic root *khin- (compare Old Saxon hinan, Old High German hinnan, German hinnen, Dutch heen, Swedish hän); related to Old English her.
from this place; away
from this time; in the future; as, a week hence
from this reason; as an inference or deduction
from this source or origin
to send away
Origin: [OE. hennes, hens (the s is prop. a genitive ending; cf. -wards), also hen, henne, hennen, heonnen, heonene, AS. heonan, heonon, heona, hine; akin to OHG. hinnn, G. hinnen, OHG. hina, G. hin; all from the root of E. he. See He.]
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
hens, adv. from this place or time: in the future: from this cause or reason: from this origin.—interj. away! begone!—advs. Hence′forth, Hencefor′ward, from this time forth or forward. [M. E. hennes, henne—A.S. heonan, from the base of he; Ger. hinnen,hin, hence; so L. hinc, hence—hic, this.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'hence' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2106
Rank popularity for the word 'hence' in Adverbs Frequency: #173
The numerical value of hence in Chaldean Numerology is: 5
The numerical value of hence in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
(But) not that many are successful, hence the problem that we see in exploration activity.
Competitors could take advantage of those and play the price game and hence, gain market share.
Life is eating us up. We shall be fables presently. Keep cool it will be all one a hundred years hence.
We opened this week seeing the dive in global markets and continued sell-off in the region and hence we followed the pace.
A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education.
Images & Illustrations of hence
Translations for hence
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- odtud, tudížCzech
- deraf, heden, derforDanish
- demnach, fort, deshalb, von dannen, daherGerman
- tial, doEsperanto
- de ahí, por lo tantoSpanish
- siksi, tästedes, jotenFinnish
- donc, d'où, ainsi, par conséquentFrench
- מכאן, לכןHebrew
- héðan, þess vegnaIcelandic
- dunque, quindi, perciòItalian
- ここから, それ故にJapanese
- ergo, abhinc, post, inde, istinc, ex hoc loco, proinde, ex eo tempore, hinc, ab eo temporeLatin
- nō koneiMāori
- заради тоа, оттука, затоа, значи, одовде, според тоаMacedonian
- kerana itu, dari sekarang, oleh sebab itu, dari sini, justeru ituMalay
- herfra, herifraNorwegian
- hiervandaan, bijgevolg, vandaar, dus, van hier, derhalve, heenDutch
- herifråNorwegian Nynorsk
- herav, følger, dette, derav, av, derforNorwegian
- ځکه, نوPashto, Pushto
- portanto, daí, daquiPortuguese
- de aici, așadarRomanian
- значит, отсюда, потому, поэтому, следовательноRussian
- härav, följaktligen, hädanefter, häden, därav, därförSwedish
Get even more translations for hence »
Find a translation for the hence definition in other languages:
Select another language: