giving careful attention to detail; hard to please; excessively concerned with cleanliness
"a fastidious and incisive intellect"; "fastidious about personal cleanliness"
having complicated nutritional requirements; especially growing only in special artificial cultures
"fastidious microorganisms"; "certain highly specialized xerophytes are extremely exacting in their requirements"
Excessively particular, demanding, or fussy about details.
Overly concerned about tidiness and cleanliness.
Difficult to please; quick to find fault.
difficult to please; delicate to a fault; suited with difficulty; squeamish; as, a fastidious mind or ear; a fastidious appetite
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
fas-tid′i-us, adj. affecting superior taste: over-nice: difficult to please.—adv. Fastid′iously.—n. Fastid′iousness. [L. fastidiosus—fastidium, loathing—fastus, pride, tædium, loathing.]
The numerical value of fastidious in Chaldean Numerology is: 2
The numerical value of fastidious in Pythagorean Numerology is: 6
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
There is one thing that matters -- to set a chime of words tinkling in the minds of a few fastidious people.
McQueen's collections were so enthralling and yet at the same time each garment was so beautifully crafted -- so you have this extreme attention to detail, fastidious tailoring, beautiful embellishments and incorporation of all sorts of different materials.
Images & Illustrations of fastidious
Translations for fastidious
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- изтънчен, взискателен, придирчив, капризенBulgarian
- anspruchsvoll, pingelig, penibel, wählerisch, mäkelig, kleinlichGerman
- cicatero, exigente, regodeón, maniático, quisquilloso, fastidiosoSpanish
- nirso, turhantarkkaFinnish
- exigeant, minutieux, méticuleux, pointilleuxFrench
- pignolo, precisino, meticolosoItalian
- 気難しい, 几帳面, 好みのむずかしいJapanese
- deerit fastidioseLatin
- whakatarapī, manaia, mōkinokino, warahoeMāori
- scrupuleus, veeleisend, kieskeurigDutch
- minucioso, meticulosoPortuguese
- cusurgiu, mofturos, minuțiosRomanian
- скрупулёзный, привередливый, прихотливый, требовательный, брезгливый, придирчивыйRussian
- granntyckt, kinkig, petnoga, petig, nogräknad, kräsenSwedish
- güçbeğenir, titiz, müşkülpesentTurkish
Get even more translations for fastidious »
Find a translation for the fastidious definition in other languages:
Select another language: