Definitions for drowsyˈdraʊ zi
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word drowsy
drowsy, drowsing(a), dozy(adj)
"made drowsy by the long ride"; "it seemed a pity to disturb the drowsing (or dozing) professor"; "a tired dozy child"; "the nodding (or napping) grandmother in her rocking chair"
drowsy, oscitant, yawning(a)(adj)
showing lack of attention or boredom
"the yawning congregation"
Inclined to drowse; heavy with sleepiness; lethargic; dozy.
I was feeling drowsy and so decided to make a cup of coffee to try to wake myself up.
Disposing to sleep; lulling; soporific.
It was a warm, drowsy summer afternoon.
Origin: Probably from or akin to drusian.
inclined to drowse; heavy with sleepiness; lethargic; dozy
disposing to sleep; lulling; soporific
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Life is as tedious as a twice-told tale Vexing the dull ear of a drowsy man.
Life is as tedious as a twice-told tale
Vexing the dull ear of a drowsy man.
It has always been a problem, but my hunch is that (drowsy driving) has probably increased.
It's clearly a significant problem and it's rampant, it has always been a problem, but my hunch is that (drowsy driving) has probably increased.
A man reserves his true and deepest love not for the species of woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for that one in whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy.
Images & Illustrations of drowsy
Translations for drowsy
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- приспивателен, сънливBulgarian
- somnoliento, soñoliento, adormecido, soporífero, somníferoSpanish
- خواب و بیدار، نیمه خوابPersian
- unelias, nukuttava, unettavaFinnish
- stupide, somnolent, ensommeillé, soporifiqueFrench
- néalmhar, suanmhar, codlatachIrish
- suaineachScottish Gaelic
- soporifero, insonnolito, assonnatoItalian
- 眠い, 眠たいJapanese
- pōuruuru, hinamoe, hiamoe, hāmoemoeMāori
- senny, ospałyPolish
- modorrento, sonolentoPortuguese
- заспанный, усыпляющий, сонный, снотворный, сонливый, нудныйRussian
- pospan, dremljiv, поспан, sanjiv, сањив, дремљивSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for drowsy »
Find a translation for the drowsy definition in other languages:
Select another language: