Definitions for discouragedɪˈskɜr ɪdʒ, -ˈskʌr-
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word discourage
try to prevent; show opposition to
"We should discourage this practice among our youth"
deprive of courage or hope; take away hope from; cause to feel discouraged
warn, discourage, admonish, monish(verb)
admonish or counsel in terms of someone's behavior
"I warned him not to go too far"; "I warn you against false assumptions"; "She warned him to be quiet"
To take away or reduce the courage of.
To persuade somebody not to do something.
Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can (Abraham Lincoln )
Origin: From descourager (modern French décourager), from descouragier, from des- and corage. Surface analysis .
to extinguish the courage of; to dishearten; to depress the spirits of; to deprive of confidence; to deject; -- the opposite of encourage; as, he was discouraged in his undertaking; he need not be discouraged from a like attempt
to dishearten one with respect to; to discountenance; to seek to check by disfavoring; to deter one from; as, they discouraged his efforts
lack of courage; cowardliness
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'discourage' in Verbs Frequency: #1033
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage.
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
Don't let life discourage you everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.
Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
I really tried to discourage him ... I kept telling him over and over, there are no easy answers in life.
Translations for discourage
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- обезсърчавам, разубеждавам, обезкуражавамBulgarian
- vzít odvahu, odradit, zastrašitCzech
- abbringen von, abraten von, abschrecken, entmutigen, abratenGerman
- persuadir, acobardar, desalentar, descorazonarSpanish
- lannistaa, taivutella, luopumaan, nujertaaFinnish
- décourager, dissuaderFrench
- mengecilkan hatiIndonesian
- 落胆, がっかり, 思いとどませるJapanese
- обесхрабрува, одвраќаMacedonian
- afraden om, ontraden, ontmoedigenDutch
- desalentar, desencorajar, despersuadir, desanimar, dissuadirPortuguese
- отговаривать, отговорить, разубедить, расхолодить, обескуражить, разубеждать, расхолаживать, обескураживатьRussian
Get even more translations for discourage »
Find a translation for the discourage definition in other languages:
Select another language: