Definitions for claimkleɪm
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word claim
an assertion of a right (as to money or property)
"his claim asked for damages"
an assertion that something is true or factual
"his claim that he was innocent"; "evidence contradicted the government's claims"
demand for something as rightful or due
"they struck in support of their claim for a shorter work day"
an informal right to something
"his claim on her attentions"; "his title to fame"
an established or recognized right
"a strong legal claim to the property"; "he had no documents confirming his title to his father's estate"; "he staked his claim"
a demand especially in the phrase "the call of duty"
assert or affirm strongly; state to be true or existing
"He claimed that he killed the burglar"
claim, lay claim, arrogate(verb)
demand as being one's due or property; assert one's right or title to
"He claimed his suitcases at the airline counter"; "Mr. Smith claims special tax exemptions because he is a foreign resident"
ask for legally or make a legal claim to, as of debts, for example
"They claimed on the maximum allowable amount"
lay claim to; as of an idea
"She took credit for the whole idea"
claim, take, exact(verb)
take as an undesirable consequence of some event or state of affairs
"the accident claimed three lives"; "The hard work took its toll on her"
A demand of ownership made for something (eg. claim ownership, claim victory).
A new statement of truth made about something, usually when the statement has yet to be verified.
A demand of ownership for previously unowned land (eg. in the gold rush, oil rush)
A legal demand for compensation or damages.
To demand ownership of.
To state a new fact.
To demand ownership or right to use for land.
To demand compensation or damages through the courts.
Origin: From claimen, from claimer, clamer, from clamo, connected with calo, cognate to Ancient Greek .
to ask for, or seek to obtain, by virtue of authority, right, or supposed right; to challenge as a right; to demand as due
to call or name
to assert; to maintain
to be entitled to anything; to deduce a right or title; to have a claim
a demand of a right or supposed right; a calling on another for something due or supposed to be due; an assertion of a right or fact
a right to claim or demand something; a title to any debt, privilege, or other thing in possession of another; also, a title to anything which another should give or concede to, or confer on, the claimant
the thing claimed or demanded; that (as land) to which any one intends to establish a right; as a settler's claim; a miner's claim
a loud call
Origin: [Of. claim cry, complaint, from clamer. See Claim, v. t.]
In a patent or patent application, the claims define, in technical terms, the extent of the protection conferred by a patent, or the protection sought in a patent application. The claims are of the utmost importance both during prosecution and litigation. For instance, a claim could read: ⁕"An apparatus for catching mice, said apparatus comprising a base, a spring member coupled to the base, and ..." ⁕"A chemical composition for cleaning windows, said composition substantially consisting of 10–15% ammonia, ..." ⁕"Method for computing future life expectancies, said method comprising gathering data including X, Y, Z, analyzing the data, comparing the analyzed data results..."
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'claim' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1579
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'claim' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2246
Rank popularity for the word 'claim' in Nouns Frequency: #372
Rank popularity for the word 'claim' in Verbs Frequency: #124
Translations for claim
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- патрабава́ць, запатрабава́цьBelarusian
- искане, рекламация, изисквам, претендирам, правя реламация, претенцияBulgarian
- pretensióCatalan, Valencian
- nárok, tvrdit, tvrzení, záborCzech
- Anspruch, Mutung, beanspruchen, behaupten, BehauptungGerman
- αξίωση, διεκδίκηση αποζημίωσης, διεκδίκησηGreek
- reclamación, afirmación, demanda, afirmar, concesión, reclamar, demandarSpanish
- väite, korvausvaatimus, vahingonkorvausvaatimus, väittää, vaatia, korvaus, vaatimus, valtaus, vallataFinnish
- affirmation, réclamation, demande, revendication, revendiquerFrench
- tagairt, tagairScottish Gaelic
- תביעה, טען, טיעון, תבע, טענהHebrew
- állítás, állít, igényel, követelés, követel, igényHungarian
- dichiarazione, affermazione, reclamare, affermare, reclamo, rivendicazione, rivendicare, dichiarare, [[reclamare]] [[la]] [[proprietà]], [[reclamare]] [[il]] [[possesso]]Italian
- 主張, 請求Japanese
- behaaptenLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- opeisen, beweren, aanspraak maken op, aanspraak, claimenDutch
- roszczenie, twierdzićPolish
- reivindicação, reivindicar, reclamar, reclamo, afirmação, alegar, afirmarPortuguese
- petiție, pretenție, revendicare, reclamație, revendicaRomanian
- объявление, [[предъявлять]] [[претензия, право, [[заявлять]] [[о]] [[право, объявлять, претензия, твердить, претендовать, [[требовать]] [[выплата, притязание, заявление, утверждение, [[заявлять]] [[претензия, [[объявлять]] [[претензия, иск, заявлять, [[требование]] [[выплата, утверждать, [[требовать]] [[компенсацияRussian
- anspråk, påstå, påståendeSwedish
- iddia etmek, öne sürmekTurkish
Get even more translations for claim »
Find a translation for the claim definition in other languages:
Select another language: