surely, certainly, sure, for sure, for certain, sure enough, sure as shooting(adverb)
definitely or positively (`sure' is sometimes used informally for `surely')
"the results are surely encouraging"; "she certainly is a hard worker"; "it's going to be a good day for sure"; "they are coming, for certain"; "they thought he had been killed sure enough"; "he'll win sure as shooting"; "they sure smell good"; "sure he'll come"
In a way which is certain; with certainty.
Without doubt, surely; of course.
An emphatic affirmative answer.
Would you like it with ice? Certainly, and with lemon please.
without doubt or question; unquestionably
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'certainly' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #572
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'certainly' in Written Corpus Frequency: #323
Rank popularity for the word 'certainly' in Adverbs Frequency: #71
The numerical value of certainly in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of certainly in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.
It is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, and certainly not desirable, as one's hat keeps blowing off.
It's certainly weird, certainly odd and certainly unproven. But Pioneer is not off base to connect one sensory organ to others.
It's certainly easier to have one coach rather than split short game and full swing, and certainly it's been fun being back with Pat.
I certainly agree that there were times when CIA officers exceeded the policy guidance that was given and the authorized techniques that were approved and determined to be lawful, they went outside of the bounds. ... I will leave to others to how they might want to label those activities. But for me, it was something that is certainly regrettable.
Images & Illustrations of certainly
Translations for certainly
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- بالتأكيد, بدون شك, بدون نقاش, من المؤكدArabic
- разбира се, несъмнено, безспорноBulgarian
- certamentCatalan, Valencian
- jistě, zajisté, nepochybně, určitěCzech
- zweifellos, natürlich, gewiss, freilich, sicherlich, sicherGerman
- βεβαίως, ασφαλώς, σίγουραGreek
- ciertamente, sin duda, por supuestoSpanish
- بطور محرزPersian
- totta kai, epäilemättä, kyllä kiitos, todellakin, ilman muuta, varmastiFinnish
- sans nul doute, pour sûr, sûrement, bien sûr, certainement, sans aucun doute, évidemmentFrench
- בוודאי, בוודאותHebrew
- անշուշտ, իհարկե, անկասկածArmenian
- もちろん, 絶対, 必ず, 確実, 全く, 確かに, その通りJapanese
- anaoa, apa ia, āpāiaMāori
- beslist, voorzeker, en of, zeker, waarlijkDutch
- zdecydowanie, z pewnością, na pewnoPolish
- sem dúvida, certamentePortuguese
- desigur, bineînțelesRomanian
- несомненно, конечно, непременно, безусловно, навернякаRussian
- несумњиво, dakako, свакако, svakako, sigurno, naravno, zacijelo, doista, nesumnjivo, наравно, дакакоSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for certainly »
Find a translation for the certainly definition in other languages:
Select another language: