bloom, blush, flush, rosiness(noun)
a rosy color (especially in the cheeks) taken as a sign of good health
sudden reddening of the face (as from embarrassment or guilt or shame or modesty)
blush, crimson, flush, redden(verb)
turn red, as if in embarrassment or shame
"The girl blushed when a young man whistled as she walked by"
become rosy or reddish
"her cheeks blushed in the cold winter air"
to become suffused with red in the cheeks, as from a sense of shame, modesty, or confusion; to become red from such cause, as the cheeks or face
to grow red; to have a red or rosy color
to have a warm and delicate color, as some roses and other flowers
to suffuse with a blush; to redden; to make roseate
to express or make known by blushing
a suffusion of the cheeks or face with red, as from a sense of shame, confusion, or modesty
a red or reddish color; a rosy tint
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
blush, n. a red glow on the face caused by shame, modesty, &c.: any reddish colour: sudden appearance.—v.i. to show shame or confusion by growing red in the face: to grow red.—n. Blush′et (Ben Jonson), a young, modest girl.—adj. Blush′ful, full of blushes: modest—n. Blush′ing, the act of turning red: the appearance of colour upon the cheek.—p.adj. showing blushes: modest.—adv. Blush′ingly.—At the first blush, at the first glance.—To put to the blush, to cause to blush. [Prob. Scand.; cog. with A.S. blysa, a blaze. See Blaze, Blowze.]
The Foolish Dictionary, by Gideon Wurdz
A temporary erythema and calorific effulgence of the physiognomy, aeteologized by the perceptiveness of the sensorium, in a predicament of inequilibrity, from a sense of shame, anger or other cause, eventuating in a paresis of the vase-motorial, muscular filaments of the facial capillaries, whereby, being divested of their elasticity, they become suffused with a radiance emanating from an intimidated praecordia.
The numerical value of blush in Chaldean Numerology is: 1
The numerical value of blush in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
This is a racketeering scheme so audacious it would make the mob blush.
I am unable to read the shameful insults made against our president. I start to blush.
The man who cannot blush, and who has no feelings of fear, has reached the acme of impudence.
A kiss on one cheek makes her blush both cheeks. (Un bisou sur une joue Fait rougir les deux joues)
The justice ministry has allowed 1,845 cases on charges of insulting Erdogan to go ahead, i am unable to read the shameful insults made against our president. I start to blush.
Images & Illustrations of blush
Translations for blush
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- руж, изчервявам се, изчервяванеBulgarian
- coloret, tornar-se vermell, posar-se vermellCatalan, Valencian
- červenat se, červenání seCzech
- Rouge, Schamröte, errötenGerman
- ruĝiĝo, ruĝiĝi, roziĝo, roziĝiEsperanto
- sonrojarse, abochornar, ruborizarse, enrojecerse, bochorno, coloreteSpanish
- سرخ شدن, روژ گونه, سرخابPersian
- punastuminen, punastua, poskipunaFinnish
- rougeur, fard à joues, blush, rougir, fard, empourprer, cramoisirFrench
- rúzs, elpirulHungarian
- fard, arrossireItalian
- 淡紅色, 赤面, 頬紅Japanese
- aappillerpoqKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- rubeō, subrubeōLatin
- pāhanahana, whakawheroMāori
- blush, corar, enrubescer, enrubescimento, ruborizarPortuguese
- împurpurare, roșeață, fard, împurpura, înroși, înroșire, îmbujorare, dres, îmbujora, roșiRomanian
- краска стыда, румяна, краснеть, покраснеть, покраснение, румянецRussian
- црвенило, crvenilo, зарудак, rumenilo, zarudak, pocrveniti, zacrveniti, руменилоSerbo-Croatian
- rodnande, rouge, rodnaSwedish
Get even more translations for blush »
Find a translation for the blush definition in other languages:
Select another language: