Definitions for appearanceəˈpɪər əns
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word appearance
appearance, visual aspect(noun)
outward or visible aspect of a person or thing
the event of coming into sight
appearance, appearing, coming into court(noun)
formal attendance (in court or at a hearing) of a party in an action
a mental representation
"I tried to describe his appearance to the police"
the act of appearing in public view
"the rookie made a brief appearance in the first period"; "it was Bernhardt's last appearance in America"
pretending that something is the case in order to make a good impression
"they try to keep up appearances"; "that ceremony is just for show"
The act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye.
His sudden appearance surprised me.
A thing seen; a phenomenon; an apparition.
There was a strange appearance in the sky.
Personal presence; look; aspect; mien.
And now am come to see . . . It thy appearance answer loud report. u2013 Milton.
apparent likeness; external show; how something appears to others.
The act of appearing in a particular place, or in society, a company, or any proceedings; a coming before the public in a particular character.
The coming into court of either of the parties; the being present in court; the coming into court of a party summoned in an action, either by himself or by his attorney, expressed by a formal entry by the proper officer to that effect; the act or proceeding by which a party proceeded against places himself before the court, and submits to its jurisdiction.
, chiefly used by nurses: the act of defecation by a patient.
The patient had a small bowel obstruction and there was no appearance until after the obstruction resolved.
Origin: From apparence, from apparentia, from appareo.
the act of appearing or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye; as, his sudden appearance surprised me
a thing seed; a phenomenon; a phase; an apparition; as, an appearance in the sky
personal presence; exhibition of the person; look; aspect; mien
semblance, or apparent likeness; external show. pl. Outward signs, or circumstances, fitted to make a particular impression or to determine the judgment as to the character of a person or a thing, an act or a state; as, appearances are against him
the act of appearing in a particular place, or in society, a company, or any proceedings; a coming before the public in a particular character; as, a person makes his appearance as an historian, an artist, or an orator
the coming into court of either of the parties; the being present in court; the coming into court of a party summoned in an action, either by himself or by his attorney, expressed by a formal entry by the proper officer to that effect; the act or proceeding by which a party proceeded against places himself before the court, and submits to its jurisdiction
In law, appearance is the coming into court of either of the parties to a lawsuit, and/or the formal act by which a defendant submits himself to the jurisdiction of the court.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'appearance' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1850
Rank popularity for the word 'appearance' in Nouns Frequency: #714
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Images & Illustrations of appearance
Translations for appearance
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- شكل, مظهرArabic
- явяване, външен вид, явление, прилика, външност, появяванеBulgarian
- aparició, aparençaCatalan, Valencian
- vzhled, objevení seCzech
- Erscheinen, Aussehen, AuftrittGerman
- aparición, aparienciaSpanish
- ilmaantuminen, ilmestyminen, ulkomuoto, ulkonäkö, julkiasuFinnish
- comparution, apparition, apparenceFrench
- comharthaí sóirt, comharthaí, comharthaí aithne, nochtadh, cruth, cuma, dealramhIrish
- taisbeanadh, coltasScottish Gaelic
- comparsa, apparizione, aria, aspetto, comparizione, visione, apparenza, presentazione, cera, sembianzaItalian
- 様子, 外観, 出現, 見掛けJapanese
- aanblik, verschijningDutch
- iʼnoolinígííNavajo, Navaho
- aparycja, zjawisko, wyglądPolish
- comparecimento, aparência, aparecimento, apariçãoPortuguese
- apariție, prezentare, înfățișare, viziune, ivire, aparență, aspectRomanian
- появление, внешний вид, явление, явка, внешностьRussian
- pojavljivanje, vanjština, pojava, izgledSerbo-Croatian
- tillstymmelse, framträdande, utseende, ankomst, sken, uppträdandeSwedish
Get even more translations for appearance »
Find a translation for the appearance definition in other languages:
Select another language: