Definitions for appearəˈpɪər
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word appear
look, appear, seem(verb)
give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
"She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
come into sight or view
"He suddenly appeared at the wedding"; "A new star appeared on the horizon"
appear, come out(verb)
be issued or published
"Did your latest book appear yet?"; "The new Woody Allen film hasn't come out yet"
seem to be true, probable, or apparent
"It seems that he is very gifted"; "It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
appear, come along(verb)
come into being or existence, or appear on the scene
"Then the computer came along and changed our lives"; "Homo sapiens appeared millions of years ago"
appear as a character on stage or appear in a play, etc.
"Gielgud appears briefly in this movie"; "She appeared in `Hamlet' on the London stage"
present oneself formally, as before a (judicial) authority
"He had to appear in court last month"; "She appeared on several charges of theft"
To come or be in sight; to be in view; to become visible.
To come before the public.
A great writer appeared at that time.
To stand in presence of some authority, tribunal, or superior person, to answer a charge, plead a cause, or the like; to present one's self as a party or advocate before a court, or as a person to be tried.
To become visible to the apprehension of the mind; to be known as a subject of observation or comprehension, or as a thing proved; to be obvious or manifest.
To seem; to have a certain semblance; to look.
He appeared quite happy with the result.
Origin: From apperen, aperen, from aparoir ( apparoir, apparaître), from apparere, from ad + parere.
to come or be in sight; to be in view; to become visible
to come before the public; as, a great writer appeared at that time
to stand in presence of some authority, tribunal, or superior person, to answer a charge, plead a cause, or the like; to present one's self as a party or advocate before a court, or as a person to be tried
to become visible to the apprehension of the mind; to be known as a subject of observation or comprehension, or as a thing proved; to be obvious or manifest
to seem; to have a certain semblance; to look
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'appear' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #880
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'appear' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2064
Rank popularity for the word 'appear' in Verbs Frequency: #67
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
It doesn't appear to be a supervirus.
Gossip about a person and his shadow will appear.
Appear to know only this,--never to fail nor fall.
At this point it doesn't appear to be in the omnibus.
Here is the fate of the man: To appear and to disappear!
Images & Illustrations of appear
Translations for appear
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ظهر, بدا, يبدوArabic
- з’явіцца, з’яўляццаBelarusian
- явявам се, появявам се, показвам сеBulgarian
- aparèixer, sortir, semblarCatalan, Valencian
- objevit, vypadatCzech
- aussehen, erscheinen, einleuchten, auftreten, auftauchenGerman
- εμφανίζομαι, φαίνομαιGreek
- aperi, aspektiEsperanto
- parecer, aparecer, comparecerSpanish
- näyttää, ilmestyäFinnish
- paraître, apparaître, semblerFrench
- coimhead, nochdScottish Gaelic
- הופיע, נראהHebrew
- sanbleHaitian Creole
- látszik, megjelenik, tűnik, feltűnikHungarian
- aparar, aspektarIdo
- birtast, birtaIcelandic
- ように見える, 思われる, 現れる, らしい, そうJapanese
- compareo, prodeo, provenio, simulo, coorior, similo, orior, videor, appareo, pareo, prodioLatin
- whakaaranga, tahakua, pokeMāori
- verschijnen, haar opwachting maken, optreden, blijken, lijken, zijn opwachting makenDutch
- pojawić się, zdawać się, pojawiać się, zjawiać się, zjawić sięPolish
- semelhar, surgir, comparecer, aparecer, parecer, aparentarPortuguese
- apărea, părea, da impresiaRomanian
- предстать, появляться, видеться, появиться, являться, показаться, казаться, привидеться, явиться, представатьRussian
- pojaviti, ukazati, doći, nastupiti, istupitiSerbo-Croatian
- framträda, se ut, komma i ljuset, komma i dagen, dyka uppSwedish
- з'являтися, з'явитисяUkrainian
Get even more translations for appear »
Find a translation for the appear definition in other languages:
Select another language: