look, appear, seem(verb)
give a certain impression or have a certain outward aspect
"She seems to be sleeping"; "This appears to be a very difficult problem"; "This project looks fishy"; "They appeared like people who had not eaten or slept for a long time"
come into sight or view
"He suddenly appeared at the wedding"; "A new star appeared on the horizon"
appear, come out(verb)
be issued or published
"Did your latest book appear yet?"; "The new Woody Allen film hasn't come out yet"
seem to be true, probable, or apparent
"It seems that he is very gifted"; "It appears that the weather in California is very bad"
appear, come along(verb)
come into being or existence, or appear on the scene
"Then the computer came along and changed our lives"; "Homo sapiens appeared millions of years ago"
appear as a character on stage or appear in a play, etc.
"Gielgud appears briefly in this movie"; "She appeared in `Hamlet' on the London stage"
present oneself formally, as before a (judicial) authority
"He had to appear in court last month"; "She appeared on several charges of theft"
To come or be in sight; to be in view; to become visible.
To come before the public.
A great writer appeared at that time.
To stand in presence of some authority, tribunal, or superior person, to answer a charge, plead a cause, or the like; to present one's self as a party or advocate before a court, or as a person to be tried.
To become visible to the apprehension of the mind; to be known as a subject of observation or comprehension, or as a thing proved; to be obvious or manifest.
To seem; to have a certain semblance; to look.
He appeared quite happy with the result.
Origin: From apperen, aperen, from aparoir ( apparoir, apparaître), from apparere, from ad + parere.
to come or be in sight; to be in view; to become visible
to come before the public; as, a great writer appeared at that time
to stand in presence of some authority, tribunal, or superior person, to answer a charge, plead a cause, or the like; to present one's self as a party or advocate before a court, or as a person to be tried
to become visible to the apprehension of the mind; to be known as a subject of observation or comprehension, or as a thing proved; to be obvious or manifest
to seem; to have a certain semblance; to look
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ap-pēr′, v.i. to become visible: to present one's self formally before an authority or tribunal, hence to act as the representative or counsel for another: to be manifest: to be in one's opinion, to seem: to come into view, to come before the public, to be published (of a book): to seem though not real.—ns. Appear′ance, the act of appearing, e.g. in court to prosecute or answer a charge: the publication of a book: the effect of appearing conspicuously, show, parade: the condition of that which appears, form, aspect: outward look or show: a natural phenomenon: an apparition; Appear′er, one that appears: one who puts in an appearance in court.—It appears (impers.).—To all appearance, so far as appears to any one; To keep up appearances, to keep up an outward show with intent to conceal the absence of the inward reality; To put in an appearance, to appear in person. [Through Fr. from L. apparē-re—ad, to, parēre, paritum, to come forth.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'appear' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #880
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'appear' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2064
Rank popularity for the word 'appear' in Verbs Frequency: #67
The numerical value of appear in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of appear in Pythagorean Numerology is: 3
Images & Illustrations of appear
Translations for appear
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ظهر, بدا, يبدوArabic
- з’явіцца, з’яўляццаBelarusian
- явявам се, появявам се, показвам сеBulgarian
- aparèixer, sortir, semblarCatalan, Valencian
- objevit, vypadatCzech
- aussehen, erscheinen, einleuchten, auftreten, auftauchenGerman
- εμφανίζομαι, φαίνομαιGreek
- aperi, aspektiEsperanto
- parecer, aparecer, comparecerSpanish
- näyttää, ilmestyäFinnish
- paraître, apparaître, semblerFrench
- coimhead, nochdScottish Gaelic
- הופיע, נראהHebrew
- sanbleHaitian Creole
- látszik, megjelenik, tűnik, feltűnikHungarian
- aparar, aspektarIdo
- birtast, birtaIcelandic
- ように見える, 思われる, 現れる, らしい, そうJapanese
- compareo, prodeo, provenio, simulo, coorior, similo, orior, videor, appareo, pareo, prodioLatin
- whakaaranga, tahakua, pokeMāori
- verschijnen, haar opwachting maken, optreden, blijken, lijken, zijn opwachting makenDutch
- pojawić się, zdawać się, pojawiać się, zjawiać się, zjawić sięPolish
- semelhar, surgir, comparecer, aparecer, parecer, aparentarPortuguese
- apărea, părea, da impresiaRomanian
- предстать, появляться, видеться, появиться, являться, показаться, казаться, привидеться, явиться, представатьRussian
- pojaviti, ukazati, doći, nastupiti, istupitiSerbo-Croatian
- framträda, se ut, komma i ljuset, komma i dagen, dyka uppSwedish
- з'являтися, з'явитисяUkrainian
Get even more translations for appear »
Find a translation for the appear definition in other languages:
Select another language: