Definitions for apparently
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word apparently
apparently, seemingly, ostensibly, on the face of it(adverb)
from appearances alone
"irrigation often produces bumper crops from apparently desert land"; "the child is seemingly healthy but the doctor is concerned"; "had been ostensibly frank as to his purpose while really concealing it"-Thomas Hardy; "on the face of it the problem seems minor"
obviously, evidently, manifestly, patently, apparently, plainly, plain(adverb)
unmistakably (`plain' is often used informally for `plainly')
"the answer is obviously wrong"; "she was in bed and evidently in great pain"; "he was manifestly too important to leave off the guest list"; "it is all patently nonsense"; "she has apparently been living here for some time"; "I thought he owned the property, but apparently not"; "You are plainly wrong"; "he is plain stubborn"
Plainly; clearly; manifestly; evidently.
Seemingly; in appearance only.
A man may be apparently friendly, yet malicious in heart.
According to what the speaker has read or been told.
Apparently you are quite a good dancer.
plainly; clearly; manifestly; evidently
seemingly; in appearance; as, a man may be apparently friendly, yet malicious in heart
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1399
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Written Corpus Frequency: #1034
Rank popularity for the word 'apparently' in Adverbs Frequency: #123
Images & Illustrations of apparently
Translations for apparently
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ظاهرًا, على ما يبدوArabic
- aparentmentCatalan, Valencian
- zřejmě, patrně, zjevněCzech
- efter sigende, tilsyneladende, åbenbartDanish
- anscheinend, scheinbar, vorgeblich, augenscheinlich, offenbar, offensichtlich, angeblich, dem Anschein nachGerman
- verŝajne, ŝajneEsperanto
- por lo visto, obviamente, aparentemente, supuestamente, según parece, evidentemente, presuntamente, al parecerSpanish
- ilmeisesti, näennäisen, näennäisestiFinnish
- évidemment, apparemmentFrench
- is cosúil goIrish
- a rèir coltaisScottish Gaelic
- apparentemente, evidentementeItalian
- 一見, 明らか, らしい, ([[どうやら]])…[[らしい]], 思しい, 明白に, そうJapanese
- šķietami, redzami, redzams, acīmredzotLatvian
- kennelijk, blijkbaar, ogenschijnlijk, schijnbaar, duidelijk, naar het schijntDutch
- haniiNavajo, Navaho
- evidentemente, claramente, supostamente, aparentementePortuguese
- казалось бы, очевидно, по-видимомуRussian
- prividno, izgleda da, привидно, изгледа даSerbo-Croatian
- zrejme, evidentne, údajne, zdanlivo, očividne, zjavneSlovak
- uppenbarligen, tydligenSwedish
- besbelli, görünüşe göre, anlaşılanTurkish
Get even more translations for apparently »
Find a translation for the apparently definition in other languages:
Select another language: