the day immediately before today
"it was in yesterday's newspapers"
the recent past
"yesterday's solutions are not good enough"; "we shared many yesterdays"
on the day preceding today
"yesterday the weather was beautiful"
in the recent past; only a short time ago
"I was not born yesterday!"
The day before today. 'Today is the child of yesterday and the parent of tomorrow'. It can also understand as a day ago.
Yesterday was rainy, but by this morning it had begun to snow.
The (recent) past, often disparaging.
On the day before today
I started to watch the video yesterday, but could only finish it this evening.
the day last past; the day next before the present
fig.: A recent time; time not long past
on the day last past; on the day preceding to-day; as, the affair took place yesterday
Origin: [OE. isterdai, AS. geostran dg, from geostran, geostra, giestran, gistran, gystran, yesterday (akin to D. gisteren, G. gestern, OHG. gestaron, Icel. gr yesterday, to-morrow, Goth. gistradagis to-morrow, L. heri yesterday, Gr. , Skr. hyas) + dg day. Cf. Hestern. .]
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. One evil less and one memory more. 2. A short-change artist, from whom we can never recover. 3. A period of time that has always existed, in contradistinction to a period of time called tomorrow that can never exist. 4. A mirror wherein if we look long enough we will see ourselves as others could never possibly see us. 5. The Eden of the sentimental. (Time is divided into yesterday, today and tomorrow, which are but three varieties of the same metaphysical tetter. In the beginning was the Infinite, and the Infinite begat Time, and Time begat Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.)
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'yesterday' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #490
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'yesterday' in Written Corpus Frequency: #499
Rank popularity for the word 'yesterday' in Adverbs Frequency: #66
The numerical value of yesterday in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of yesterday in Pythagorean Numerology is: 5
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Judicial judgment must take deep account of the day before yesterday in order that yesterday may not paralyze today.
The world goes up and the world goes down, the sunshine follows the rain; and yesterday's sneer and yesterday's frown can never come over again.
Just yesterday, a leader from yesterday began a campaign for president by promising to take us back to yesterday, yesterday is over -- and we're never going back.
Yesterday is a dream, tomorrow but a vision. But today well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well, therefore to this day.
Of course, it’s always bad to lose, of course it’s always a hardship when you lose to yesterday’s miners or yesterday’s tractor drivers. But life is life. It’ll surely go on.
Images & Illustrations of yesterday
Translations for yesterday
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- dün, dünənAzerbaijani
- ahir, dia d'ahirCatalan, Valencian
- včerejšek, včeraCzech
- вьчераOld Church Slavonic, Church Slavonic, Old Bulgarian
- ddoe, doeWelsh
- i gårDanish
- [[gestrig]]er [[Tag]], gesternGerman
- eilispäivä, eilispäivänä, eilinen, eilenFinnish
- gjárdagur, í gjárFaroese
- justerWestern Frisian
- an-dèScottish Gaelic
- אתמול, אֶתְמוֹל, אֶמֶשׁHebrew
- yèHaitian Creole
- gærdagurinn, gærdagur, í gærIcelandic
- きのう, 昨日, さくじつJapanese
- ippassaqKalaallisut, Greenlandic
- ថ្ងៃម្សិល, ពីម្សិលមិញ, ម្សិលមិញKhmer
- heri, here, hesternusLatin
- gëschterLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- vakardiena, vakarykštė diena, vakarLithuanian
- vakardiena, vakarLatvian
- kelmarin, semalamMalay
- ngago nane, nanahiNauru
- forleden dagNorwegian
- igår, i gårNorwegian
- adą́ą́dą́ą́ʼNavajo, Navaho
- gèr, ièrOccitan
- bijiinaagoOjibwe, Ojibwa
- ier, herRomansh
- aiseru, derisSardinian
- jùčē, jùčēr, ју̀че̄р, ју̀чеSerbo-Croatian
- ඊයේSinhala, Sinhalese
- maobaneSouthern Sotho
- gårdag, i går, igårSwedish
- تۈنۈگۈنUyghur, Uighur
- учо́ра, вчо́раUkrainian
- kecha, kechagiUzbek
- mba-mulovha, mulovha
- hôm quaVietnamese
- ädel, ädeloVolapük
- démb, dembaWolof
Get even more translations for yesterday »
Find a translation for the yesterday definition in other languages:
Select another language: