Definitions for x-rayˈɛksˌreɪ
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
x-rayˈɛksˌreɪ(n.; v.)x-rayed or X-rayed, x-ray•ing or X-ray•ing
Often, x-rays. electromagnetic radiation having wavelengths in the range of approximately 0.1–10 nm, between ultraviolet radiation and gamma rays, and capable of penetrating solids and of ionizing gases.
a radiograph made by x-rays.
(v.t.)to photograph, examine, or treat with x-rays.
(adj.)of or pertaining to x-rays.
Origin of x-ray:
1895–1900; trans. of G X-Strahl (1895)
X ray, X-ray, X-radiation, roentgen ray(noun)
electromagnetic radiation of short wavelength produced when high-speed electrons strike a solid target
roentgenogram, X ray, X-ray, X-ray picture, X-ray photograph(verb)
a radiogram made by exposing photographic film to X rays; used in medical diagnosis
examine by taking x-rays
take an x-ray of something or somebody
"The doctor x-rayed my chest"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
a picture of the inside of sth produced using radiation
We'll take an x-ray of his arm.
Short wavelength electromagnetic radiation usually produced by bombarding a metal target in a vacuum. Used to create images of the internal structure of objects; this is possible because X-rays pass through most objects and can expose photographic film.
X-rays are light with a wavelength between 0.1 and 10 nm.
A radiograph: a photograph made with X-rays.
"The doctor ordered some X-rays of my injured wrist."
To take a radiograph of; to obtain an image of using X-ray radiation, especially for the purpose of medical diagnostic evaluation.
Of course there was nothing wrong with my left wrist. They X-rayed the wrong arm!
Of or having to do with X-rays.
I had to put my bags through an X-ray scanner at the airport.
Origin: Transliteration of X-Strahl, coined by Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen upon his discovery of the rays in 1895, x signifying their unknown nature.
Translations for x-ray
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
(the process of taking) a photograph using X-rays
I'm going to hospital for an X-ray; We'll take an X-ray of your chest; (also adjective) an X-ray photograph.
- صورةٌ بالأشِعَّةِ السّينيَّهArabic
- radiografiaPortuguese (BR)
- rentgenový snímekCzech
- die Röntgenaufnahme, Röntgen-...German
- røntgenfotografering; røntgenbillede; røntgen-Danish
- عکس گرفته شده بوسیله اشعه ایکسFarsi
- צִלּוּם רֶנְטְגֶּן, קְרִינַת רֶנְטְגֶּן Hebrew
- एक्स-रे लेनाHindi
- rendgensko snimanjeCroatian
- (pengambilan) foto rontgenIndonesian
- 엑스선 촬영Korean
- peršvietimas, rentgeno nuotraukaLithuanian
- rentgena izmeklēšana; rentgenogrammaLatvian
- prześwietlenie, zdjęcie rentgenowskiePolish
- عکس گرفته شده بوسیله اشعه ایکسPersian
- عکس نیول په ایکسری کیPashto
- radiografie; radiograficRomanian
- röntgenová snímkaSlovak
- rentgenska slikaSlovenian
- rendgenski snimakSerbian
- röntgen, röntgenbildSwedish
- röntgen filmiTurkish
- X光照片Chinese (Trad.)
- عکس ریز کے ذریعہ تصویر اتارنے کی کارروائیUrdu
- hình chụp X-quangVietnamese
- x光照片Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for x-ray »