Definitions for whileʰwaɪl, waɪl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word while
while, piece, spell, patch(noun)
a period of indeterminate length (usually short) marked by some action or condition
"he was here for a little while"; "I need to rest for a piece"; "a spell of good weather"; "a patch of bad weather"
A certain duration of time, a period of time.
He lectured for quite a long while.
To pass (time) idly.
During the same time that.
He was sleeping while I was singing.
This case, while interesting, is a bit frustrating.
Origin: hwil. Cognate with wil.
space of time, or continued duration, esp. when short; a time; as, one while we thought him innocent
that which requires time; labor; pains
to cause to pass away pleasantly or without irksomeness or disgust; to spend or pass; -- usually followed by away
during the time that; as long as; whilst; at the same time that; as, while I write, you sleep
hence, under which circumstances; in which case; though; whereas
"While" is a word in the English language that functions both as a noun and as a subordinating conjunction. Its meaning varies largely based on its intended function, position in the phrase and even the writer or speaker's regional dialect. As a conjunction, it is synonymous with the word "whilst", a form often considered archaic in American and Canadian English, as well as in some style guides on both sides of the Atlantic.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'while' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #149
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'while' in Written Corpus Frequency: #554
Rank popularity for the word 'while' in Nouns Frequency: #744
Translations for while
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عندما, بينماArabic
- estona, mentre, malgratCatalan, Valencian
- byť, chvíle, zatímcoCzech
- medens, mensDanish
- obwohl, Weilchen, Zeitspanne, solange, Weile, währendGerman
- καθώς, αν και, καίτοι, διάστημα, χρόνος, ενόσω, ενώ, περνώ, μολονότιGreek
- dum, kvankamEsperanto
- aunque, vagar, rato, siempre y cuando, mientrasSpanish
- aika, sillä aikaa kun, vaikka, samaan aikaan kunFinnish
- moment, quoique, tant, pendant que, bien que, tandis queFrench
- skoftWestern Frisian
- agus, tamallIrish
- greisScottish Gaelic
- mentres, namentres, entrementres, tempoGalician
- ben que, tempore, durante queInterlingua
- seraya, sementaraIndonesian
- dum ke, dumIdo
- benché, malgrado, mentreItalian
- 時, 間, ...ながらJapanese
- 하는 동안Korean
- ماوه, ئهگهرچیKurdish
- макар, иако, додекаMacedonian
- sementara, semasaMalay
- terwijl, tijdje, momentje, poosje, een hele tijdDutch
- stund, medan, mensNorwegian
- yínee'Navajo, Navaho
- chociaż, gdy, chwila, jakiś czasPolish
- embora, enquanto, malgrado, tempoPortuguese
- deși, în timp ceRomanian
- хотя, в то время, как, вре́мя, [[промежу́ток]] [[время, до тех пор, пока, покаRussian
- dok, докSerbo-Croatian
- stund, tag, fastän, medanSwedish
- rağmen, iken, -kenTurkish
- moumint, mågré ki, sol tins ki, houbonde, tins ki, hapêye, cwekiWalloon
Get even more translations for while »
Find a translation for the while definition in other languages:
Select another language: