Definitions for visionˈvɪʒ ən
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word vision
a vivid mental image
"he had a vision of his own death"
sight, vision, visual sense, visual modality(noun)
the ability to see; the visual faculty
vision, visual sensation(noun)
the perceptual experience of seeing
"the runners emerged from the trees into his clear vision"; "he had a visual sensation of intense light"
imagination, imaginativeness, vision(noun)
the formation of a mental image of something that is not perceived as real and is not present to the senses
"popular imagination created a world of demons"; "imagination reveals what the world could be"
a religious or mystical experience of a supernatural appearance
"he had a vision of the Virgin Mary"
The sense or ability of sight.
Something imaginary one thinks one sees.
He tried drinking from the pool of water, but realized it was only a vision.
An ideal or a goal toward which one aspires.
He worked tirelessly toward his vision of world peace.
A religious or mystical experience of a supernatural appearance.
He had a vision of the Virgin Mary.
A person or thing of extraordinary beauty.
To imagine something as if it were to be true.
Origin: From visio, noun of action from the perfect passive participle visus, from the verb videre + action noun suffix -io.
the act of seeing external objects; actual sight
the faculty of seeing; sight; one of the five senses, by which colors and the physical qualities of external objects are appreciated as a result of the stimulating action of light on the sensitive retina, an expansion of the optic nerve
that which is seen; an object of sight
especially, that which is seen otherwise than by the ordinary sight, or the rational eye; a supernatural, prophetic, or imaginary sight; an apparition; a phantom; a specter; as, the visions of Isaiah
hence, something unreal or imaginary; a creation of fancy
to see in a vision; to dream
The Vision is the name of a number of fictional characters, each superheroes, that appear in comic books published by Marvel Comics. The Vision is an android and a member of the Avengers.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'vision' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #2391
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'vision' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4450
Rank popularity for the word 'vision' in Nouns Frequency: #967
Translations for vision
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ви́зия, зре́ниеBulgarian
- visió, vistaCatalan, Valencian
- vidění, vidina, vize, zrakCzech
- Vision, Sicht, Sehkraft, TraumbildGerman
- όραμα, όρασηGreek
- visión, vistaSpanish
- nägemus, ilmutus, nägemineEstonian
- بینایی, چشم انداز, بینش, دیدPersian
- näky, kangastus, näkö, visio, näkökyky, näköaisti, ilmestys, haaveFinnish
- apparition, vue, vision, aspirationFrench
- radharcScottish Gaelic
- visión, vistaGalician
- képzeletbeli, látomásHungarian
- vista, visioneItalian
- 目標, 幻覚, 展望, 啓示, 視覚, 幻視, ビジョンJapanese
- წარმოდგენა, მხედველობა, ხილვაGeorgian
- 시각, 시력Korean
- somnium, visioLatin
- гле́дање, вид, привиде́ние, ви́зијаMacedonian
- droombeeld, visioen, kijk, geestesverschijning, zicht, visie, gezichtsvermogenDutch
- åpenbaring, visjonNorwegian
- wzrok, wizja, widzeniePolish
- objetivo, visão, vistaPortuguese
- vedere, obiectiv, vedenie, viziune, aparițieRomanian
- ви́дение, виде́ние, зре́ние, привиде́ниеRussian
- вид, vidSerbo-Croatian
- vision, hägring, synSwedish
- taswira, kizuka, jazandaSwahili
- భ్రమ, దర్శనం, దృష్టిTelugu
- thị giácVietnamese
Get even more translations for vision »
Find a translation for the vision definition in other languages:
Select another language: