Definitions for vilevaɪl
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word vile
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
highly offensive, unpleasant, or objectionable:
a vile odor.
morally debased, depraved, or despicable.
of little value or account; paltry.
Origin of vile:
1250–1300; ME vil < OF < L vīlis of little worth, base, cheap
despicable, ugly, vile, slimy, unworthy, worthless, wretched(adj)
"would do something as despicable as murder"; "ugly crimes"; "the vile development of slavery appalled them"; "a slimy little liar"
nauseating, nauseous, noisome, queasy, loathsome, offensive, sickening, vile(adj)
causing or able to cause nausea
"a nauseating smell"; "nauseous offal"; "a sickening stench"
morally low; base; despicable
Origin: From vilis
low; base; worthless; mean; despicable
morally base or impure; depraved by sin; hateful; in the sight of God and men; sinful; wicked; bad
vile is a text editor that attempts to combine the best aspects of the popular Emacs and vi editors. These editors are traditionally located on opposing sides of the editor wars, as users of Emacs and vi tend to have strong sentiments against the editor they do not use; however, vile at least attempts to reconcile these positions. vile is an acronym which stands for "VI Like Emacs". vile is featured in Chapter 12 of the O'Reilly book "Learning the vi Editor". The program is also known as xvile for the X Window System, and as winvile for Microsoft Windows. vile was created and originally maintained by Paul Fox. In 1996, maintenance was taken over by Thomas Dickey, who had provided many major contributions to the codebase over the preceding years.
The Roycroft Dictionary
1. Anything that serves; whatever is useful. 2. Something done or thought by some one else.
Anagrams of vile
Translations for vile
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
horrible; wicked; disgusting
That was a vile thing to say!; The food tasted vile.
- خَسيس، فَظيع، رَديءArabic
- vilPortuguese (BR)
- φρικτός, απαίσιοςGreek
- vil, despreciable, infame; asquerosoSpanish
- alatu, jälkEstonian
- خبیثانه؛ ناخوشایندFarsi
- רַע מְאוֹדHebrew
- strašan, odvratanCroatian
- hitvány; gusztustalanHungarian
- menjijikkan, kejamIndonesian
- viðbjóðslegur, andstyggilegurIcelandic
- ignobile, volgare; orribileItalian
- 몹시 나쁜, 혐오감을 일으키는Korean
- niekšiškas, šlykštusLithuanian
- pretīgs; zemisks; nekrietnsLatvian
- gemen, ekkel, råttenNorwegian
- خبیثانه؛ ناخوشایندPersian
- بې ارزښته، ټيټ: بد، بدچلنده: ناپاك، ناولى: رټلى، دكركې وړ، منفورPashto
- гнусный, мерзкийRussian
- odporný, hanebný; podlýSlovak
- usel, lumpen, vidrig, hemskSwedish
- iğrenç, çok kötüTurkish
- 惡劣的，糟糕透頂的，噁心的Chinese (Trad.)
- огидний, бридкийUkrainian
- خوفناک، خبيثUrdu
- đê tiện, kinh tởmVietnamese
- 可耻的，极坏的，讨厌的Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for vile »
Find a translation for the vile definition in other languages:
Select another language: