the use of uttered sounds for auditory communication
the act of uttering
sale by offering to the public
putting in circulation; as, the utterance of false coin, or of forged notes
vocal expression; articulation; speech
power or style of speaking; as, a good utterance
the last extremity; the end; death; outrance
In spoken language analysis an utterance is a smallest unit of speech. In the case of oral languages, it is generally but not always bounded by silence. It can be represented and delineated in written language in many ways. Note that in such areas of research utterances do not exist in written language, only their representations do. In other fields it is medium-neutral and refers to any use of language in context. Uttering can also be a form of stuttering especially in the case of handicapped people. The word was coined on May 12, 1986 at the World Speech Convention.
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
ut′ėr-ans, n. (Shak.) extremity, deadly contention. [Fr. outrance—outre, beyond—L. ultra, beyond.]
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'utterance' in Nouns Frequency: #2540
The numerical value of utterance in Chaldean Numerology is: 8
The numerical value of utterance in Pythagorean Numerology is: 8
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
My utterance is mighty, I am more powerful than the ghosts; may they have no power over me.
Poetry is the utterance of deep and heartfelt truth. The true poet is very near the oracle.
Would I had phrases that are not known, utterances that are strange, in new language that has not been used, free from repetition, not an utterance which has grown stale, which men of old have spoken.
I would have you direct the question to her, i probably won't be commenting on every single utterance that the candidates make. I think it's natural and proper for candidates to run on their own vision and their own platform.
Number is the Word but is not utterance it is wave and light, though no one sees it it is rhythm and music, though no one hears it. Its variations are limitless and yet it is immutable. Each form of life is a particular reverberation of Number.
Images & Illustrations of utterance
Translations for utterance
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- articulació, discurs, pronunciació, eloqüència, parla, enunciat, expressióCatalan, Valencian
- prohlášení, vyřčení, vyjádření, výrokCzech
- Äußerung, Aussprache, Sprechfähigkeit, SprachvermögenGerman
- discurso, elocuencia, pronunciación, enunciado, habla, expresión, articulaciónSpanish
- propos, prononciation, expression, parole, émission sonore, déclaration, articulation, énoncéFrench
- ნათქვამი, გამოთქმა, წარმოთქმა, თქმულიGeorgian
- eloquium, significatioLatin
- uiting, taaluitingDutch
- enunciado, expressãoPortuguese
- vorbire, vorbiRomanian
- [[мане́ра]] [[говори́ть]], произнесе́ние, [[дар]] [[слово, [[дар]] [[речь, произноше́ние, выска́зывание, выраже́ние, ди́кцияRussian
- iskaz, dar govora, rječitostSerbo-Croatian
- telaffuz, söyleme, konuşma, ifâde, söyleyişTurkish
Get even more translations for utterance »
Find a translation for the utterance definition in other languages:
Select another language: