a person who makes use of a thing; someone who uses or employs something
a person who uses something or someone selfishly or unethically
drug user, substance abuser, user(noun)
a person who takes drugs
One who uses or makes use of something, a consumer.
A person who uses drugs, especially illegal drugs.
A person who uses a computer or a computing network, especially a person who has received a user account.
An exploiter, an abusive user (a person who uses something or someone unfairly, selfishly and/or unethically).
Origin: From unseraz, from no-s-ero-. Cognate with user, user, unser, unsar, 033F033D034303300342, us.
one who uses
enjoyment of property; use
A user is an agent, either a human agent or software agent, who uses a computer or network service. A user often has a user account and is identified by a username. Other terms for username include login name, screen name, nickname, or handle, which is derived from the identical Citizen's Band radio term. Users are also widely characterized as the class of people that use a system without complete technical expertise required to understand the system fully. In hacker-related contexts, such users are also divided into lusers and power users. In projects in which the actor of the system is another system or a software agent, it is quite possible that there is no end-user for the system. In this case, the end-users for the system would be indirect end-users.
The New Hacker's Dictionary
1. Someone doing ‘real work’ with the computer, using it as a means rather than an end. Someone who pays to use a computer. See real user. 2. A programmer who will believe anything you tell him. One who asks silly questions. [GLS observes: This is slightly unfair. It is true that users ask questions (of necessity). Sometimes they are thoughtful or deep. Very often they are annoying or downright stupid, apparently because the user failed to think for two seconds or look in the documentation before bothering the maintainer.] See luser. 3. Someone who uses a program from the outside, however skillfully, without getting into the internals of the program. One who reports bugs instead of just going ahead and fixing them.The general theory behind this term is that there are two classes of people who work with a program: there are implementors (hackers) and lusers. The users are looked down on by hackers to some extent because they don't understand the full ramifications of the system in all its glory. (The few users who do are known as real winners.) The term is a relative one: a skilled hacker may be a user with respect to some program he himself does not hack. A LISP hacker might be one who maintains LISP or one who uses LISP (but with the skill of a hacker). A LISP user is one who uses LISP, whether skillfully or not. Thus there is some overlap between the two terms; the subtle distinctions must be resolved by context.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'user' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #1664
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'user' in Written Corpus Frequency: #4471
Rank popularity for the word 'user' in Nouns Frequency: #352
The numerical value of user in Chaldean Numerology is: 7
The numerical value of user in Pythagorean Numerology is: 9
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Hit any user to continue.
The utmost thing is the user experience, to have the most useful experience.
All men start life as a road-user and only few continue it as a road-creator!
A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
A user interface should be so simple that a beginner in an emergency can understand it within ten seconds.
Images & Illustrations of user
Translations for user
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- مستعمل, مستخدمArabic
- usuariCatalan, Valencian
- uživatel, spotřebitelCzech
- konsument, bruger, udbytter, misbrugerDanish
- Benutzerin, Drogenkonsument, Benutzer, VerbraucherGerman
- χρήστρια, χρήστρια ναρκωτικών, χρήστης ναρκωτικών, χρήστηςGreek
- ärakasutaja, väärtarbija, kasutaja, tarbijaEstonian
- کاربر, نابکار, معتادPersian
- hyväksikäyttäjä, käyttäjä, kuluttaja, väärinkäyttäjäFinnish
- utilisatrice, utilisateur, consommateurFrench
- brûkerWestern Frisian
- cleachdaicheScottish Gaelic
- felhasználó, drogfogyasztóHungarian
- notandi, tölvunotandi, dópisti, eiturlyfjanotandiIcelandic
- 使用者, 利用者, ユーザー, ユーザJapanese
- қатысушы, пайдаланушыKazakh
- 사용자, 使用者Korean
- BenotzerLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- jūzeris, lietotājsLatvian
- потрошувач, искористувач, корисникMacedonian
- gebruikster, druggebruiker, gebruikerDutch
- brukarNorwegian Nynorsk
- choyoołʼįįhíNavajo, Navaho
- użytkowniczka, użytkownikPolish
- usuário, consumidor, utilizadorPortuguese
- utilizatoare, toxicoman, consumator, utilizator, exploatator, narcomanRomanian
- уча́стник, по́льзовательница, клие́нт, потреби́тель, потреби́тельница, манипуля́тор, ю́зер, по́льзовательRussian
- korisnik, корисникSerbo-Croatian
- පරිශීලකSinhala, Sinhalese
- användare, brukare, missbrukareSwedish
- mtumiaji, mtumizi, mlanguziSwahili
- tüketici, kullanıcı, sömürücüTurkish
- кори́стувач, користува́чUkrainian
- thành viênVietnamese
- geban, higeban, jigebanVolapük
Get even more translations for user »
Find a translation for the user definition in other languages:
Select another language: