Definitions for undergroundˈʌn dərˈgraʊnd; -ˌgraʊnd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word underground
a secret group organized to overthrow a government or occupation force
metro, tube, underground, subway system, subway(adj)
an electric railway operating below the surface of the ground (usually in a city)
"in Paris the subway system is called the `metro' and in London it is called the `tube' or the `underground'"
under the level of the ground
"belowground storage areas"; "underground caverns"
clandestine, cloak-and-dagger, hole-and-corner(a), hugger-mugger, hush-hush, secret, surreptitious, undercover, underground(adverb)
conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods
"clandestine intelligence operations"; "cloak-and-dagger activities behind enemy lines"; "hole-and-corner intrigue"; "secret missions"; "a secret agent"; "secret sales of arms"; "surreptitious mobilization of troops"; "an undercover investigation"; "underground resistance"
in or into hiding or secret operation
"the organization was driven underground"
beneath the surface of the earth
"water flowing underground"
An underground railway.
A movement or organisation of people who resist political convention.
A movement or organisation of people who resist artistic convention.
To route electricity distribution cables underground
Below the ground.
The tunnel goes underground at this point.
Below the ground; below the surface of the Earth.
There is an underground tunnel that takes you across the river.
Hidden, furtive, secretive.
These criminals operate through an underground network.
Of music, art, etc, outside the mainstream.
The London Underground.
the place or space beneath the surface of the ground; subterranean space
being below the surface of the ground; as, an underground story or apartment
done or occurring out of sight; secret
beneath the surface of the earth
Underground is a 1995 award-winning film directed by Emir Kusturica with a screenplay by Dušan Kovačević. It is also known by the subtitle Once Upon a Time There Was a Country, which was the title of the 5-hour mini-series shown on Serbian RTS television. The film uses the epic story of two friends to portray and satirize Yugoslav history from the beginning of World War II until the beginning of Yugoslav Wars. The film was an international co-production with companies from FR Yugoslavia, France, Germany and Hungary. The theatrical version is 163 minutes long. In interviews, Kusturica stated that his original version ran for over 320 minutes, and that he was forced to cut it by co-producers.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'underground' in Adjectives Frequency: #962
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Underground, everything is much more stable.
[It's a] new way of using underground space on a larger scale.
For every prohibition you create you also create an underground.
Planning is important...because underground spaces you can't remove afterwards.
We need to convince the public [that] underground space is nice and comfortable.
Translations for underground
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- subterraniCatalan, Valencian
- Untergrundorganisation, Untergrund, unterirdisch, geheim, heimlichGerman
- υπόγεια, υπόγειος, λαθραίος, μυστικόςGreek
- movimiento clandestino, subterráneo, organización clandestinaSpanish
- vastarintaliike, maanalainen, undergroundFinnish
- mouvement d'avant-garde, clandestin, mouvement clandestin, résistance, organisation clandestine, souterrain, undergroundFrench
- baixo terraGalician
- resistenza, sotterraneo, movimento clandestino, organizzazione clandestina, clandestino, underground, sottoterraItalian
- 秘密, 不法, アングラ, 地下Japanese
- андерграунд, потаен, подземје, подземенMacedonian
- łeeyiʼNavajo, Navaho
- ruch oporu, podziemny, podziemiePolish
- clandestino, resistência, subterrâneo, secreto, submundoPortuguese
- mișcare clandestină, subteran, organizație clandestinăRomanian
- подпольный, подполье, подземный, андеграунд, андерграундRussian
- prikriveno, potajno, podzemno, podzemanSerbo-Croatian
Get even more translations for underground »
Find a translation for the underground definition in other languages:
Select another language: