Definitions for truancyˈtru ən si
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word truancy
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
tru•an•cyˈtru ən si(n.)(pl.)-cies.
the act or state of being truant.
an instance of being truant.
Origin of truancy:
failure to attend (especially school)
The act of shirking from responsibilities and duties refers especially to school absentees.
the act of playing truant, or the state of being truant; as, addicted to truancy
Truancy is any intentional unauthorized or illegal absence from compulsory education. The term describes absences caused by students of their own free will, and usually does not refer to legitimate "excused" absences, such as ones related to medical conditions. The term's exact meaning differs from school to school, and is usually explicitly defined in the school's handbook of policies and procedures. Some children whose parents claim to "homeschool" have also been found truant in the United States. Students who attend school but do not go to classes are considered cutting class. In some schools, truancy may result in not being able to graduate or to receive credit for class attended, until the time lost to truancy is made up through a combination of detention, fines, or summer school. Truancy is a frequent subject of popular culture; perhaps most famously Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which is entirely about the titular character's day of truancy in Chicago with his girlfriend and best friend. Truancy is also the title of a 2008 novel about a student uprising against a dictatorial educational system.
Translations for truancy
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
Truancy is a great problem in some schools.
- stokkies draaiAfrikaans
- تَغَيُّب عن المَدْرَسَهArabic
- бягане от училищеBulgarian
- malandragem / vagabundagem / vadiagemPortuguese (BR)
- chození za školuCzech
- die SchwänzereiGerman
- σκασιαρχείο, κοπάναGreek
- novillos, ausencia no justificada de un escolarSpanish
- مدرسه گریزیFarsi
- absence non autorisée (d'un écolier)French
- בְּרִיחָה מִבֵּית הַסֵפֶרHebrew
- अकारण गैरहाजिर रहनाHindi
- izostajanje s nastave, markiranjeCroatian
- iskolakerülés, lógásHungarian
- (il marinare la scuola)Italian
- pamokų praleidinėjimas, neatėjimas (į pamokas, tarnybą), pravaikštaLithuanian
- (skolas) kavējums, bēguļošanaLatvian
- perbuatan ponteng sekolahMalay
- het spijbelenDutch
- مدرسه گریزیPersian
- د مدرسی نه تښتیدلPashto
- absenţă nemotivatăRomanian
- bežanje sa časovaSerbian
- okuldan kaçmaTurkish
- 曠課，逃學Chinese (Trad.)
- нехтування школою; прогулUkrainian
- sự trốn họcVietnamese
- 旷课，逃学Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for truancy »
Find a translation for the truancy definition in other languages:
Select another language: