Definitions for thoughðoʊ
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
notwithstanding that; although:
Though we tried hard, we lost the game.
Category: Function Word
even if; granting that (often prec. by even).
Category: Function Word
(adv.)for all that; however.
Idioms for though:
as though,as if:
It seemed as though the place was deserted.
Category: Idiom, Function Word
* Usage: Some usage guides object to the use of though in place of although as a conjunction. However, the latter (earlier all though) was orig. an emphatic form of the former, and there is nothing in contemporary English usage to justify such a distinction. Both are fully standard.
Origin of though:
1150–1200; ME thoh < ON thō; r. OE thēah, c. OHG tho(h), Go thau(h)
"it might be unpleasant, though"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
used to introduce sth that makes a main statement seem less true or strong
Though she is new to the sport, she has already won six times.; I believe it's true, even though I can't prove it.
used to introduce a statement that partly contradicts what you have just said; = but, although
I love the band, though their last album wasn't great.
used to add sth that makes a main statement seem less true or strong
Everyone loved the show. I didn't like it, though.
Despite that; however.
I will do it, though.
Used to intensify statements or questions; indeed.
"Man, it's hot in here." u2014 "Isn't it, though?"
Despite the fact that; although.
Though itu2019s risky, itu2019s worth taking the chance.
If, that, even if.
We shall be not sorry though the man die tonight.
Origin: thagh, from þeah, later superseded in many dialects by though, from * (later þó), both from þauh, from to-. Akin to þah "though", þoh, doch, doh ( doch). More at that.
granting, admitting, or supposing that; notwithstanding that; if
however; nevertheless; notwithstanding; -- used in familiar language, and in the middle or at the end of a sentence
Translations for though
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
I wish I hadn't done it, though.
- مَع ذلِكArabic
- contudoPortuguese (BR)
- stejně, nicméněCzech
- παρόλα αυτάGreek
- sin embargo, a pesar de todoSpanish
- به هر حالFarsi
- cependant, pourtantFrench
- אִם כִּיHebrew
- premda, madaCroatian
- mégis, de azértHungarian
- þó, samt sem áðurIcelandic
- tomēr; tačuLatvian
- walau bagaimanapunMalay
- به هر حالPersian
- كه څه هم، سره له دې چې، تر اوسه، خوبيا هم، دغسې چې، څه رنګ چې، سره له دې، خوبياPashto
- однако; тем не менееRussian
- avšak, napriek tomuSlovak
- gene deTurkish
- 雖然Chinese (Trad.)
- проте, втім, однакUkrainian
- tuy nhiênVietnamese
- 虽然Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for though »