Definitions for thirdθɜrd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word third
one-third, third, tierce(noun)
one of three equal parts of a divisible whole
"it contains approximately a third of the minimum daily requirement"
third base, third(noun)
the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near the third of the bases in the infield (counting counterclockwise from home plate)
"he is playing third"
following the second position in an ordering or series
"a distant third"; "he answered the first question willingly, the second reluctantly, and the third with resentment"
the musical interval between one note and another three notes away from it
"a simple harmony written in major thirds"
third gear, third(noun)
the third from the lowest forward ratio gear in the gear box of a motor vehicle
"you shouldn't try to start in third gear"
third base, third(adj)
the base that must be touched third by a base runner in baseball
"he was cut down on a close play at third"
third, 3rd, tertiary(adverb)
coming next after the second and just before the fourth in position
in the third place
"third we must consider unemployment"
The person or thing in the third position.
Jones came in third.
One of three equal parts of a whole.
He ate a third of the pie. Divided by two-thirds.
The third gear of an engine.
Now put it into third.
An interval consisting of the first and third notes in a scale.
They sing in thirds.
The play ended with Jones standing on third.
One sixtieth of a second, i.e., the third in a series of fractional parts in a sexagesimal number system. Also formerly known as a tierce.
To agree with a proposition or statement after it has already been seconded.
To divide into three equal parts.
next after the second; coming after two others; -- the ordinal of three; as, the third hour in the day
constituting or being one of three equal parts into which anything is divided; as, the third part of a day
the quotient of a unit divided by three; one of three equal parts into which anything is divided
the sixtieth part of a second of time
the third tone of the scale; the mediant
the third part of the estate of a deceased husband, which, by some local laws, the widow is entitled to enjoy during her life
Third is a 1970 double LP by Soft Machine, with each side of the original vinyl consisting of a single long composition. Its music explores the emerging jazz fusion of the type present on Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, which was released just a few months earlier. Third marks the most major of Soft Machine's several shifts in musical genre over their career, completing their transition from psychedelic music to jazz, and is a significant milestone of the Canterbury scene, featuring interplay between the band's personnel: Mike Ratledge on keyboards, Robert Wyatt on drums, Hugh Hopper on bass and newest member Elton Dean on saxophone. Lyn Dobson appears on saxophone and flute on "Facelift", recorded while he was a full member of the band, although he is credited as an additional performer. Jimmy Hastings makes substantial contributions on flute and clarinet on "Slightly All The Time", free-jazz violinist Rab Spall is heard on the coda to "Moon In June", and Nick Evans makes a very brief appearance on trombone in "Out-Bloody-Rageous".
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'third' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #431
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'third' in Written Corpus Frequency: #642
Translations for third
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- ثالِث, ثالِثةArabic
- траці́на, трэці, трэ́ціBelarusian
- трети, те́рца, третина, тре́тиBulgarian
- trederenn, teirvet, trivet, tredeBreton
- tercer, terceraCatalan, Valencian
- třetí, třetí osoba, třetit, roztřetit, třetina, tercieCzech
- trydydd, trydeddWelsh
- tredjedel, tredje, tertsDanish
- Dritter, Terz, dreiteilen, dritte, DrittelGerman
- τρίτο, τρίτοςGreek
- tria, tercio, triono, tritoEsperanto
- tercer, tercero, tercera, tercioSpanish
- terts, kolmasEstonian
- hirugarren, herenBasque
- kolmas, kolmannes, kolmasosa, terssiFinnish
- troisième, tiers, tierce, troisFrench
- treddeWestern Frisian
- trìtheamh, treas, trianScottish Gaelic
- terzo, terceiroGalician
- tyèHaitian Creole
- terc, harmadik, harmad, harmadolHungarian
- tertia, tertio, tertieInterlingua
- þriðjungur, þríund, þriðji, þriðjaIcelandic
- terza, terzoItalian
- 三度, 三番目Japanese
- tertius, tertia, tertiumLatin
- drëttLuxembourgish, Letzeburgesch
- trečia, tercija, trečias, trečdalisLithuanian
- trešdaļa, trešā, trešaisLatvian
- hautoru, tuatoruMāori
- трет, тре́ти, третиMacedonian
- terza, terz, it-tiletMaltese
- tredje, tredel, tredjedelNorwegian
- derde, tertsDutch
- tredel, tredjedel, tridjeNorwegian Nynorsk
- tááʼ góneʼNavajo, Navaho
- tercja, trzeciPolish
- terceiro, terço, terça, terceiraPortuguese
- cea de a treia, treime, cel de al treileaRomanian
- тре́тий, 3-ий, треть, те́рцияRussian
- treći, трећиSerbo-Croatian
- තුන්වැනිSinhala, Sinhalese
- tretji, têrcaSlovene
- tredjedel, ters, tredje, treaSwedish
- ya tatuSwahili
- ئۈچىنچىUyghur, Uighur
- тре́тій, те́рціяUkrainian
- thứ baVietnamese
Get even more translations for third »
Find a translation for the third definition in other languages:
Select another language: