Teach, Edward Teach, Thatch, Edward Thatch, Blackbeard(verb)
an English pirate who operated in the Caribbean and off the Atlantic coast of North America (died in 1718)
teach, learn, instruct(verb)
impart skills or knowledge to
"I taught them French"; "He instructed me in building a boat"
accustom gradually to some action or attitude
"The child is taught to obey her parents"
To show (someone) the way; to guide, conduct.
To pass on knowledge.
To pass on knowledge, especially as one's profession; to act as a teacher.
She used to teach at university.
Nickname for a teacher.
I'm not in trouble again, am I, Teach?
Origin: From techen, from tæcan, from taikijanan, from deyǵe-. Cognate with tech, teich, zeigen, , dico, δείκνυμι. More at token.
to impart the knowledge of; to give intelligence concerning; to impart, as knowledge before unknown, or rules for practice; to inculcate as true or important; to exhibit impressively; as, to teach arithmetic, dancing, music, or the like; to teach morals
to direct, as an instructor; to manage, as a preceptor; to guide the studies of; to instruct; to inform; to conduct through a course of studies; as, to teach a child or a class
to accustom; to guide; to show; to admonish
to give instruction; to follow the business, or to perform the duties, of a preceptor
Chambers 20th Century Dictionary
tēch, v.t. to show: to impart knowledge to: to guide the studies of: to exhibit so as to impress upon the mind: to impart the knowledge of: to accustom: to counsel.—v.i. to practise giving instruction:—pa.t. and pa.p. taught (tawt).—n. Teachabil′ity.—adj. Teach′able, capable of being taught: apt or willing to learn.—ns. Teach′ableness; Teach′er, one who teaches or instructs; Teach′ing, the act of teaching or instructing: instruction.—adj. Teach′less, indocile. [A.S. tǽcan, to show, teach; Ger. zeigen, to show; allied to L. docēre, to teach, Gr. deiknunai, to show.]
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'teach' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3620
Written Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'teach' in Written Corpus Frequency: #2388
Rank popularity for the word 'teach' in Verbs Frequency: #221
The numerical value of teach in Chaldean Numerology is: 9
The numerical value of teach in Pythagorean Numerology is: 1
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
Teach us to care and not to care. Teach us to sit still.
Some people teach you to love, others teach you to live but the good ones teach you both.
Not necessarily for failing to teach their daughter financial regimens and accounting, but because they didn’t teach her character.
No. We teach our children to make good choices. So you need to teach them to make good choices with social media. i equate it to those conversations about sex.
We've got to teach our young people how to react in those situations. I spent a lot of time teaching young males to be compliant, if we don't teach them social skills, their reaction gets them in trouble.
Images & Illustrations of teach
Translations for teach
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- عَلَّمَ, دَرَّسَ, لَقَّنَArabic
- öyrətmək, dərs deməkAzerbaijani
- вучы́ць, выклада́цьBelarusian
- སློབ་པ, སློབ་ཁྲིད་བྱེད་པTibetan Standard
- ensenyarCatalan, Valencian
- undervise, læreDanish
- beibringen, unterrichten, lehrenGerman
- lernigi, instruiEsperanto
- یاد دادن, درس دادنPersian
- guider, enseigner, apprendreFrench
- teagaisg, foghlaimScottish Gaelic
- deprender, ensinar, aprenderGalician
- शिक्षा देना, पढ़ाना, सिखानाHindi
- tanít, megtanítHungarian
- սովորեցնել, ուսուցանել, վարժեցնել, դաս տալArmenian
- სწავლა, სწავლებაGeorgian
- сабақ беру, оқытуKazakh
- dysky, dyskiCornish
- окутуу, сабак берүүKyrgyz
- docere, instruoLatin
- പഠിപ്പിക്കുക, അഭ്യസിപ്പിക്കുക, ശിക്ഷണം നല്കുകMalayalam
- ပညာပေး, သင်Burmese
- aanleren, leren, lesgeven, onderwijzenDutch
- undervise, læreNorwegian
- ensinar, [[dar]] [[aula]]Portuguese
- învăța, instruiRomanian
- научи́ть, обуча́ть, преподава́ть, учи́ть, обучи́тьRussian
- učiti, учитиSerbo-Croatian
- lära ut, undervisa, läraSwedish
- బోధించు, నేర్పుTelugu
- омӯхтан, дарс доданTajik
- okatmak, öwretmekTurkmen
- öğretmek, ders vermekTurkish
- виклада́ти, вчи́тиUkrainian
- پڑھانا, سکھاناUrdu
- saboq bermoq, oʻrgatmoq, oʻqitmoq, dars bermoqUzbek
- dạy học, dạy bảo, dạy dỗ, dạyVietnamese
- moenner, acsegnî, scolerWalloon
Get even more translations for teach »
Find a translation for the teach definition in other languages:
Select another language: