Definitions for sweetheartˈswitˌhɑrt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word sweetheart
Random House Webster's College Dictionary
a person who is loved.
(sometimes cap.) an affectionate or familiar term of address (sometimes offensive when used to strangers, subordinates, etc.).
Informal. a generous, friendly person.
Informal. anything that arouses loyal affection.
Category: Common Vocabulary, Informal
* Usage: Definition 2 is an affectionate term of address used to a lover, child, etc. However, when used in the workplace or in social interactions with strangers, it is sometimes perceived as insulting.
Origin of sweetheart:
sweetheart, sweetie, steady, truelove(noun)
a person loved by another person
any well-liked individual
"he's a sweetheart"
smasher, stunner, knockout, beauty, ravisher, sweetheart, peach, lulu, looker, mantrap, dish(adj)
a very attractive or seductive looking woman
privileged treatment of a favored person or corporation (sometimes unethically)
"another sweetheart deal based on political influence"
Kernerman English Learner's Dictionary
used to address sb you love
A person who is always very kind.
She is such a sweetheart, she never complains about my being late.
A person very much liked or loved by someone, especially when both partners are young.
John married his highschool sweetheart in 1981.
Origin: From sweet + heart.
a lover of mistress
"Sweetheart" is a song written by Rainy Davis and Pete Warner and originally recorded by Davis, which appeared on her eponymous debut album. The song reached number 24 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs in 1986. It was later re-recorded by Jermaine Dupri and Mariah Carey.
Translations for sweetheart
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary
a boyfriend or girlfriend.
- حَبيب، مَحْبوب، حَبيبَه، مَحْبوبَهArabic
- namoradoPortuguese (BR)
- der/die LiebsteGerman
- ο αγαπημένος, η αγαπημένηGreek
- amor; novia; novioSpanish
- אֲהוּב, אֲהוּבָהHebrew
- dragi, dragaCroatian
- kedvese vkinekHungarian
- kærasti; kærastaIcelandic
- 여자친구, 남자친구Korean
- mylimasis, mylimojiLithuanian
- mīļotais; mīļotāLatvian
- возлюбленный; возлюбленнаяRussian
- milý, chlapec; milá, dievčaSlovak
- fant, dekleSlovenian
- flick-, pojkvän, kärestaSwedish
- 情人Chinese (Trad.)
- коханий, коханаUkrainian
- người yêu, người tìnhVietnamese
- 情人Chinese (Simp.)
Get even more translations for sweetheart »
Find a translation for the sweetheart definition in other languages:
Select another language: