Definitions for summitˈsʌm ɪt
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word summit
acme, height, elevation, peak, pinnacle, summit, superlative, meridian, tiptop, top(noun)
the highest level or degree attainable; the highest stage of development
"his landscapes were deemed the acme of beauty"; "the artist's gifts are at their acme"; "at the height of her career"; "the peak of perfection"; "summer was at its peak"; "...catapulted Einstein to the pinnacle of fame"; "the summit of his ambition"; "so many highest superlatives achieved by man"; "at the top of his profession"
peak, crown, crest, top, tip, summit(noun)
the top or extreme point of something (usually a mountain or hill)
"the view from the peak was magnificent"; "they clambered to the tip of Monadnock"; "the region is a few molecules wide at the summit"
summit, summit meeting(verb)
a meeting of heads of governments
reach the summit (of a mountain)
"They breasted the mountain"; "Many mountaineers go up Mt. Everest but not all summit"
a peak; the top of a mountain
In summer, it is possible to hike to the summit of Mt. Shasta.
a gathering or assembly of leaders
They met for an international summit on environmental issues.
To reach the summit of a mountain.
the top; the highest point
the highest degree; the utmost elevation; the acme; as, the summit of human fame
the most elevated part of a bivalve shell, or the part in which the hinge is situated
Origin: [F. sommet, dim. of OF. som, sum, top, from L. summum, from summus highest. See Sum, n.]
Summit is a city in Union County, New Jersey, United States. At the 2010 United States Census, the city's population was 21,457, reflecting an increase of 326 from the 21,131 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn increased by 1,374 from the 19,757 counted in the 1990 Census. Summit had the 16th-highest per capita income in the state as of the 2000 Census. What is now the city of Summit was incorporated as Summit Township by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 23, 1869, from portions of New Providence Township and Springfield Township. Summit was reincorporated as a city on March 8, 1899. The town's name may refer to its position atop the Second Watchung Mountain; it may also refer to Summit Lodge, the house to which jurist James Kent moved in 1837 and which stands today at 50 Kent Place Boulevard; or to a local sawmill owner who granted passage to the Morris and Essex Railroad for a route to "the summit of the Short Hills".
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
The highest altitude above mean sea level that a projectile reaches in its flight from the gun to the target; the algebraic sum of the maximum ordinate and the altitude of the gun.
British National Corpus
Spoken Corpus Frequency
Rank popularity for the word 'summit' in Spoken Corpus Frequency: #3680
Rank popularity for the word 'summit' in Nouns Frequency: #1488
Sample Sentences & Example Usage
There is no summit in art; there is only continuous climbing!
Every time you do goodness, you rise to the summit of humanity!
When you reached the summit, you will see that you are still tiny!
The summit (will be) good to provide important guidance to pursue talks.
Truth is the summit of being justice is the application of it to affairs.
Images & Illustrations of summit
Translations for summit
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- إِجْتِمَاع قِمَّة, قِمَّةArabic
- вяршы́ня, пік, вярху́шка, са́мітBelarusian
- cimera, cimCatalan, Valencian
- summit, vrchol, vrcholekCzech
- bjergtop, topmøde, topDanish
- Gipfel, GipfeltreffenGerman
- pinto, pintkunvenoEsperanto
- cumbre, cima, picoSpanish
- mäetipp, tippkohtumine, tippEstonian
- اجلاس سران, جرگه بزرگ, قلهPersian
- huippu, vuorenhuippu, [[päästä]] [[huipulle]], huippukokousFinnish
- mullachScottish Gaelic
- csúcs, csúcstalálkozóHungarian
- գագաթ, գագաթնաժողովArmenian
- somma, culmine, incontro al vertice, cima, colmo, picco, pinnacoloItalian
- 首脳会談, 頂上, サミット, 山頂, 最高点Japanese
- 首腦會談, 수뇌회담Korean
- kōtihitihi, tihi, keokeonga, taumata, hui taumata, toiMāori
- са́мит, врвMacedonian
- piek, spits, top, bergtopDutch
- wierzchołek, szczytPolish
- لويه جرګهPashto, Pushto
- cimeira, cume, cúpulaPortuguese
- са́ммит, встре́ча, верши́на, пик, верху́шкаRussian
- vrcholok, vrcholSlovak
- ministermöte, ledningsmöte, nå toppen, topp, toppmöte, bergstopp, möteSwedish
- శిఖరాగ్ర సమావేశం, శిఖరాగ్రంTelugu
- зу́стріч, са́міт, верши́на, пік, верхі́вкаUkrainian
- chỏm, chóp, đỉnhVietnamese
- sömit, belasömitVolapük
Get even more translations for summit »
Find a translation for the summit definition in other languages:
Select another language: