Definitions for suicideˈsu əˌsaɪd
This page provides all possible meanings and translations of the word suicide
suicide, self-destruction, self-annihilation(noun)
the act of killing yourself
"it is a crime to commit suicide"
a person who kills himself intentionally
Intentional killing of oneself, as a kind of action or social phenomenon.
A particular instance of a person intentionally killing himself or herself, or of multiple people doing so.
A person who has intentionally killed him/herself.
An action that creates serious difficulty for its performer.
A beverage combining all available flavors at a soda fountain.
A diabolo trick where one of the sticks is released and allowed to rotate 360u00B0 round the diabolo until it is caught by the hand that released it.
A run comprising a series of sprints of increasing lengths, each followed immediately by a return to the start, with no pause between one sprint and the next.
The coach makes us run suicides at the end of each basketball practice.
To kill oneself intentionally.
Origin: 1651, coinage (probably originating in ) suicida, from sui (from suus) + -cida. Compare self-slaughter, self-blood.
the act of taking one's own life voluntary and intentionally; self-murder; specifically (Law), the felonious killing of one's self; the deliberate and intentional destruction of one's own life by a person of years of discretion and of sound mind
one guilty of self-murder; a felo-de-se
ruin of one's own interests
Suicide is the act of intentionally causing one's own death. Suicide is often committed out of despair, the cause of which is frequently attributed to a mental disorder such as depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, alcoholism, or drug abuse. Stress factors such as financial difficulties or troubles with interpersonal relationships often play a role. Efforts to prevent suicide include limiting access to firearms, treating mental illness and drug misuse, and improving economic development. The most commonly used method of suicide varies by country and is partly related to availability. Common methods include: hanging, pesticide poisoning, and firearms. Around 800,000 to a million people die by suicide every year, making it the 10th leading cause of death worldwide. Rates are higher in men than in women, with males three to four times more likely to kill themselves than females. There are an estimated 10 to 20 million non-fatal attempted suicides every year. Attempts are more common in young people and females. Views on suicide have been influenced by broad existential themes such as religion, honor, and the meaning of life. The Abrahamic religions traditionally consider suicide an offense towards God due to the belief in the sanctity of life. During the samurai era in Japan, seppuku was respected as a means of atonement for failure or as a form of protest. Sati, a now outlawed Hindu funeral practice, expected the widow to immolate herself on her husband's funeral pyre, either willingly or under pressure from the family and society.
U.S. National Library of Medicine
The act of killing oneself.
British National Corpus
Rank popularity for the word 'suicide' in Nouns Frequency: #1920
Translations for suicide
From our Multilingual Translation Dictionary
- རང་ཤི་རྒྱབ་པTibetan Standard
- suïcidiCatalan, Valencian
- sebevražda, sebevrahCzech
- hunanladdwr, hunanladdwraig, hunanladdiadWelsh
- selvmorder, selvmordDanish
- Selbstmörder, Suizid, Suizident, Freitod, Selbstmord, SelbstmörderinGerman
- αυτοχειρία, αυτοκτονία, αυτόχειραςGreek
- suicidio, suicidaSpanish
- enesetapp, enesehävitus, enesetapjaEstonian
- انتحار, خودکشیPersian
- itsemurha, itsemurhaajaFinnish
- suicide, suicidéeFrench
- féinmharú, féinmharfóirIrish
- fèin-mhurtair, fèin-mhurtScottish Gaelic
- hene-varrooder, hene-varrooManx
- התאבדות, מתאבד, מתאבדתHebrew
- öngyilkosság, öngyilkosHungarian
- ինքնասպանություն, ինքնասպանArmenian
- bunuh diri, pembunuh diriIndonesian
- sjálfsbani, sjálfsmorðingi, sjálfsmorð, sjálfsvígIcelandic
- suicidio, suicidaItalian
- 自殺, 自殺者Japanese
- өзін өзі өлтірушілікKazakh
- សម្លាប់ខ្លួនឯង, អត្តឃាតKhmer
- 自殺, 자살Korean
- өзүн өзү өлтүрүүKyrgyz
- suicidium, mortem sibi conscivitLatin
- самоубиство, самоубиецMacedonian
- амиа хорлохMongolian
- bunuh diriMalay
- zelfmoordenaar, zelfdoding, zelfmoordDutch
- selvmordsoffer, selvmordNorwegian
- хиамарынOssetian, Ossetic
- samobójstwo, samobójca, samobójczyniPolish
- suicídio, suicidaPortuguese
- sinucidere, sinucigașă, sinucigașRomanian
- самоуби́йство, самоубийство, самоуби́йца, суици́дRussian
- самоубиство, sȕicīd, суицид, samoùbojica, samoùbōjstvoSerbo-Croatian
- samomorilec, samomorilka, samomorSlovene
- självmördare, självmordSwedish
- интиҳор, худкушӣTajik
- özüni öldürmeTurkmen
- суїци́д, самогу́бствоUkrainian
- خودکُشی, آتم ہتیاUrdu
- suitsid, oʻzini oʻldirish, xudkushlikUzbek
- 自殺, 自死, tự tử, tự sátVietnamese
Get even more translations for suicide »
Find a translation for the suicide definition in other languages:
Select another language: